I am Fighting the Urge...Nope, Nope, Nope

Tyme2B

i don't want to smoke....I have been smoke free for nearly 6 weeks. Bad, bad day. I am drinking water, taking deep breaths, chewing gum, trying to distract myself.....but I WANT a cigarette....no I don't....I think I just should go to bed & sleep....it helps. I am NOT going to the store. Truly....a very bad day of fighting off the cravings....worst day yet.

....I think I just should go to bed & sleep....

Yep.  Brush your teeth and go to bed.   Trust tomorrow will be a better day.  And know you will be SOOOOOOOO pissed at yourself if you throw out your quit like it is meaningless in comparison to the junkie tantrum happening in your lizard brain.  Yep, just go to bed.  Wake up proud and happy and breathing well <thumbs up>.  

You are a non-smoker.

• Like 1

Wow Tyme, I hope you took yourself to bed and have woken with the biggest smile at your safe freedom and quit. 

6 weeks came and took me by surprise too, it's been so long since a proper trigger hit you forgot how awful they were and got sucked into to it her (or that was me then). The trick is to see it coming and distract yourself, it passes through and you barely notice it. So this will have shown you that and it just makes your quit more powerful and stronger. 

Strong fight, battle won, BOOM!! :)

• Like 1

Yeah, it happens. Just don't let it get to you, it's something nearly all of us went through, and it's all part of the recovery. Congratulations - you've got that jerky junkie lizard brain on the ropes, and it's throwing a tantrum, because if you keeping NOPEing it's gonna croak. I hope you took your own good advice and are happily asleep by now, and odds are you'll feel much better in the morning. 

• Like 2

This morning you'll wake up feeling more confident because you're outsmarting the addiction.  Great job on handling this!  Like others have said, we all went through it and it's normal. 

Are You Stronger Than Your Cigarettes?

This video discusses the importance of understanding that you won't be able to quit smoking and stay free by becoming stronger than cigarettes but rather by becoming smarter than nicotine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxLxDuTOCT0

Hi tyme,

Your still early in your quit.....your body is still going through some big changes....all the stuff you are feeling is temporary....

Our poor bodies...have got a lot of years to repair....

Count every day as a massive victory....because it is a amazing thing we are doing.....

Treats too....very important....to reward ourselves for all the effort we are putting in to this....

You have a great quit.....feel very proud.....

Keep marchin forward....day by day.....

Xxx

Hi Tyme, just back in from work and saw your post, how are you feeling?.  Please please just remember a crave is a just a negative thought in your head, and only you can stop it, do not give it any room to grow, it will pass, yes it sucks, yes it feels horrible and nasty, but then lighting up a cigarette will only make you feel a thousand times worse.  The crave will not do you any harm but make life a little uncomfortable for a short while, but smoking, well we all know what that does, it will kill you.  xx

Everyone....THANK YOU! I am doing much better today. I went to bed rather than blow my Quit. It worked & I was better this morning. I have been out all day & no bad craves. Man did it hit me badly yesterday. Writing the SOS made me realize I was NOT going to the store. Yes it is uncomfortable but I don"t want to let myself down OR any of you wonderful people down. Thanks so much for caring. xo

• Like 6

This makes me happy. You will be so much stronger for facing that trigger down squarely, you'll see :)  Sometimes calling it a day and going to bed is for the win. Delighted your quit is safe and sound, as suspected and that today is better. It always passes if you don't give it head space! Great work, well done. xx

Thank you! I'm glad my quit is safe too. I would have been so angry with myself if I had given in....don't even want to think of that as a possibility ever....the cravings do pass although some seem to be more intense than others...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i don't want to smoke....I have been smoke free for nearly 6 weeks. Bad, bad day. I am drinking water, taking deep breaths, chewing gum, trying to distract myself.....but I WANT a cigarette....no I don't....I think I just should go to bed & sleep....it helps. I am NOT going to the store. Truly....a very bad day of fighting off the cravings....worst day yet.

How are you doing these days?

I'm here! Slowly getting past a bad case of withdrawal....but doing it! No smokes & no NRT. How are you doing CPK?

Today was a beautiful day. Overall this has been a difficult quit process. Emotional roller coaster. But hanging in there! :wub:  Sleep is my friend!

• Like 4