I'd Rather Be A Little Overweight & Not Smoking Than Underweight & Dead!

I'd Rather Be A Little Overweight & Not Smoking Than Underweight & Dead!

Video discusses the importance of not letting the chance of gaining weight being used as an excuse for not quitting smoking or for relapsing after having quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I3fv5EqTBU

• Like 4

thanks for the video mq.

for some reason I lose weight over the winter holidays, and then put 10-15 back on in the spring. I can lose weight over the summer and fall but right now is not good... ^_^

did I mention I don't like my treadmill? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they are bad for you too, all of that walking in one place and so on. pff

• Like 1

12 lbs. gained from quitting smoking. Um, probably the Doritos caused the weight gain. Not the smoking. Haven't lost it, either, though I have been exercising more than I ever did when I smoked.

However. . .walking briskly 3-4 miles a day will take a couple hundred calories off my daily intake. While, a single serving bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos contains 262 calories.

At this rate, I need to start walking about 10 miles per day or cut back on the Doritos. Yeah.

Bluebird of Happiness Not

• Like 3

Totally agree!  For years and years I struggled with my weight...up 25, down 25....and the whole time I was smoking. 

When I would exercise as a smoker...I would get a headache so I would quit.  Wouldn't occur to me to quit smoking...lol...I quit the exercise instead.

Finally, when I quit smoking...I did gain 35 lbs...but....what followed was a wonderful journey of completely taking responsibility for my total health and well being. 

I know I would still be on that up and down roller coaster of dieting, dropping in and out of routinely exercising if I hadn't quit smoking FIRST..even if it meant I gained some weight temporarily.  It was worth it..and I would do it again..hands down.

My attitude now is all about being healthy..period.  This does include staying smoke free..eating healthy..exercising every day...meditating every day...basically a holistic approach to my well being.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Don't worry about the weight gain, you can normalise this later. 

Cigarettes tend to speed up the metabolism (well, it is poison!) so it's common for that to slow down for a bit when you quit. This will normalise pretty quickly as long as you don't start eating more or replacing the cigs with snacks etc. I didn't replace it with anything so I gained no weight. I remember my metabolism taking a little knock back in the beginning but I just rode it out and all was back to normal in no time. 

TBH, a little weight gain is MINOR compared to smoking god knows how many cigarettes a day.

• Like 3