Ways to Empower the Quit?

cpk

Just NOPE

If I dint take a puff, ever, I knew I was done smoking. No cheats, no slip up, not one puff ever and I was able to be honest with myself and never ever have a single puff.  Hours went to a day, couple days, week, weeks and so on. It all built on each moment I did not puff and have to start again...

• Like 2

I don't think I'm a master, but here's my 2c - disassociate and objectify. When you're in the midst of an inevitable struggle, actively distance yourself from it, and observe that these things are happening to you, and "oh my isn't this awful and ridiculous, I'm quite climbing the walls, I wonder how long this will last" etc... 

More than once I made myself chuckle at the absurdity of my predicament, and it took the power out of temptation.

• Like 2

I don't think I'm a master, but here's my 2c - disassociate and objectify. When you're in the midst of an inevitable struggle, actively distance yourself from it, and observe that these things are happening to you, and "oh my isn't this awful and ridiculous, I'm quite climbing the walls, I wonder how long this will last" etc... 

More than once I made myself chuckle at the absurdity of my predicament, and it took the power out of temptation.

That's very Zen. Thanks.

• Like 1

Just NOPE

If I dint take a puff, ever, I knew I was done smoking. No cheats, no slip up, not one puff ever and I was able to be honest with myself and never ever have a single puff.  Hours went to a day, couple days, week, weeks and so on. It all built on each moment I did not puff and have to start again...

Like building a pyramid...one stone at a time. Thanks.

• Like 2

Don't sit with the thoughts of romancing a smoke...try and distract yourself or do something physical to kill the trigger. The longer you give it head space the more it grows.

You have to simply trust it will get better. You can see glimpses but you have to take peoples word for it.

Celebrate your milestones and treat yourself...this makes us feel like we are gaining rather than giving up and is crucial.

• Like 3

Don't sit with the thoughts of romancing a smoke...try and distract yourself or do something physical to kill the trigger. The longer you give it head space the more it grows.

You have to simply trust it will get better. You can see glimpses but you have to take peoples word for it.

Celebrate your milestones and treat yourself...this makes us feel like we are gaining rather than giving up and is crucial.

Bravo! Great morning read.

• Like 1

Of course, NOPE --One day at a time...and also what Crispy said...I did a lot of that.

But in order to add something new to the thread...

What stuck in my head and got me through many days...was the fact that the "masters of the quit" before me kept assuring me that it does get better.  I came to believe that they knew what they were talking about and they weren't stronger than me..and my addiction was no stronger than theirs.  

Some days were rough and I only had blind faith to go by but, that's what I did.   I put all my trust in what they were saying and I didn't question it, really.  I decided if they were lying to me I would come back and tell them all off.  lol....I never had to..instead, I thanked them.

• Like 2

Of course, NOPE --One day at a time...and also what Crispy said...I did a lot of that.

But in order to add something new to the thread...

What stuck in my head and got me through many days...was the fact that the "masters of the quit" before me kept assuring me that it does get better.  I came to believe that they knew what they were talking about and they weren't stronger than me..and my addiction was no stronger than theirs.  

Some days were rough and I only had blind faith to go by but, that's what I did.   I put all my trust in what they were saying and I didn't question it, really.  I decided if they were lying to me I would come back and tell them all off.  lol....I never had to..instead, I thanked them.

Love this!

• Like 1

Definitely not a master quitter. I've smoked for about 10 years on and off and am only almost 16 months quit. I loved going back after two months of quit. I'm 25 y/o and I'm surrounded by smokers wherever I go. Most of my friends are smokers.

My quit story is, I never took myself seriously when I decided to quit. I think that is the only reason I haven't relapsed yet. Copying this from one of my previous threads:

First thought: "Yet another pointless attempt to quit, after relapsing thrice, or maybe more - really? You know you're gonna relapse again, so why put yourself through all this again?" Somehow, I started off, but didn't promise myself much. I knew how to get past the first two months. The challenge was to keep the quit after that point.

Two months: "Let's see, it's not like you're not gonna smoke forever, but keep goin', we'll see how long it lasts this time".

Three months: "Okay, three is good, but let's not start dancing alright? Not quite yet. Let's see how long this could go on for."

Over the next few months, I was fine without cigarettes, but challenging circumstances arise out of nowhere from time to time. Never refuse to say "Nope, I don't smoke anymore!" whenever you are offered cigarettes. Concentrating on getting past the day without a smoke is the best way to go.

Life is better off without cigarettes. Quit, and never look back, and wait until you realize that this is one of the best decisions you have ever made in your entire life!

• Like 2

Definitely not a master quitter. I've smoked for about 10 years on and off and am only almost 16 months quit. I loved going back after two months of quit. I'm 25 y/o and I'm surrounded by smokers wherever I go. Most of my friends are smokers.

My quit story is, I never took myself seriously when I decided to quit. I think that is the only reason I haven't relapsed yet. Copying this from one of my previous threads:

First thought: "Yet another pointless attempt to quit, after relapsing thrice, or maybe more - really? You know you're gonna relapse again, so why put yourself through all this again?" Somehow, I started off, but didn't promise myself much. I knew how to get past the first two months. The challenge was to keep the quit after that point.

Two months: "Let's see, it's not like you're not gonna smoke forever, but keep goin', we'll see how long it lasts this time".

Three months: "Okay, three is good, but let's not start dancing alright? Not quite yet. Let's see how long this could go on for."

Over the next few months, I was fine without cigarettes, but challenging circumstances arise out of nowhere from time to time. Never refuse to say "Nope, I don't smoke anymore!" whenever you are offered cigarettes. Concentrating on getting past the day without a smoke is the best way to go.

Life is better off without cigarettes. Quit, and never look back, and wait until you realize that this is one of the best decisions you have ever made in your entire life!

Patience is not my strong suit. I am often impatient for good results. So that one word, "Wait" means a lot. Thanks! As I move on into month 2, 3, and so on...I hope to never forget "nope" and "wait"...

Embrace The Suck!

SUCK-METER-PATCH.jpg

Easy Peasy

Really? Do I have to embrace it? Can I just give it a gentle pat? Naaaah, you're right, if I don't embrace it, it will keep wailing and wetting its diaper.

Think of all the bad things cigs cause. I also remembered a bad moment with cigarettes and replayed that over and over in my head when I started to crave or romance.

I don't have to list the bad things about cigarettes, you already know those things but the bad moment I replay is when I smoked too many cigarettes and felt horrible. I hated that feeling and it helps to remember that.

• Like 2

Embrace The Suck!

SUCK-METER-PATCH.jpg

Easy Peasy

This is the one for me.

It sucked because I was an addict. It sucked because I was healing. The suck meant that I was winning.

Gradually - it sucked less and less. It became kinda normal. 

People had enslaved me and potentially damaged my health for profit. I, just me, defeated their addiction. 

I chose freedom - laughed at the suck and am the better for it.

• Like 1

Think of all the bad things cigs cause. I also remembered a bad moment with cigarettes and replayed that over and over in my head when I started to crave or romance.

I don't have to list the bad things about cigarettes, you already know those things but the bad moment I replay is when I smoked too many cigarettes and felt horrible. I hated that feeling and it helps to remember that.

I think this is a really good idea. I can't believe how easy it is to forget - but I guess that's part of the addiction. I was thinking about what you wrote. Day 8 of my quit was horrible. I couldn't breathe, felt so sick and anxious, and considered going to the hospital. I NEVER want to repeat a quit. So I'm going to cement the memory of Day 8 in my mind. Love this suggestion...thanks so much for sharing.

• Like 1