Month Three???

cpk

Month three dangerous? I'm not getting it. I'm finishing up month one. My idea is to give each month a theme...month two for me is for getting into exercise, month three is about doing some weekend day trips with money saved, and hiking, because I'll be healthier, month four is SPRING, month five is SUMMER, month six my quit day is on the 4th so I'll be celebrating the 4th of July with the start of a six month quit and fireworks.

Now got it in my head after reading some stuff here that oh month three dangerous, gotta watch out...and this is just a thought

month one i;ve had a big mouth and a lot of irritation so maybe month two will be about exercising until i'm breathing deep, not talking

just saying...all newbies not fighting off the relapse every second...

me, i'm filling up my toolbox which is getting pretty heavy so i need more muscle to carry it with me everywhere i go...

• Like 1

Nah, it's not dangerous, it's the life affirming month :)  It is the rinse and repeat month where you make sure you're serious...you're already serious so you'll be fine. Some don't even notice it. Some do, we're all different.  My advice for what it's worth, is always focus on the end game. Some days feel tough, some fabulous...ultimately you're already a non smoker...how great is that! End result, you'll be a calmer non smoker :)  Every trigger is a lesson, is a chance to teach yourself you are stronger until you don't notice the battle anymore because it's done. xx

• Like 7

this reminds me of when I was pregnant and got the book "what to expect when you're expecting"  I read that book cover to cover and wanted to know exactly what was happening to my body at every moment.  Some things I could identify with....some issues I was having that I didn't even read in the book...and their were other things they mentioned that I didn't experience at all.

Every quit is different....there is such thing as the "icky 3's" so "they" say (who is "they" anyway??)

Waiting around for it to happen is like waiting for a pot of water to boil or paint to dry......

enjoy the journey cpk....it's where the growth is.

Not everyone experiences the Icky Threes, or if they do, it might happen at slightly different time intervals, but it is common enough to take note of and be prepared for should it happen to you.

3 Days -- Physical Withdrawal

The first three days of smoking cessation are intense for most of us. Often, the first day or two are fueled by the 'excitement' of taking the initial plunge into quitting, but by the third day, reality is setting in and so are the discomforts of physical withdrawal from nicotine.

3 Weeks-- Psychological Withdrawal

At three weeks, we've gotten through the shock of physical withdrawal and we're just beginning to tackle the mental side of nicotine addiction. This turn of events triggers cravings to smoke anew for a lot of us.

And be aware ... psychological cravings can produce very real physical reactions in our bodies, making a mental trigger feel like physical withdrawal. Thinking about that smoke break you used to take at a certain time of the day can cause tension that makes your stomach churn and leaves you on edge. It feels like a physical craving, and in a way it is...but the source is a thought, not physical withdrawal from nicotine.

3 Months -- The Blahs

At three months the "newness" of the quit program is wearing off and we're often left thinking "Is that all there is?" The blahs hit, in other words. That too triggers cravings to smoke, often quite intensely.

Power on through this phase, because your comfort with the new smoke-free life you're building will continue to grow with time.

Knowledge is Power

Don't let the discomforts that can come with smoking cessation throw you off course. They are all temporary, and once you move through them, they'll be cleared out and gone for good.

• Like 4

this reminds me of when I was pregnant and got the book "what to expect when you're expecting"  I read that book cover to cover and wanted to know exactly what was happening to my body at every moment.  Some things I could identify with....some issues I was having that I didn't even read in the book...and their were other things they mentioned that I didn't experience at all.

Every quit is different....there is such thing as the "icky 3's" so "they" say (who is "they" anyway??)

Waiting around for it to happen is like waiting for a pot of water to boil or paint to dry......

enjoy the journey cpk....it's where the growth is.

Not everyone experiences the Icky Threes, or if they do, it might happen at slightly different time intervals, but it is common enough to take note of and be prepared for should it happen to you.

3 Days -- Physical Withdrawal

The first three days of smoking cessation are intense for most of us. Often, the first day or two are fueled by the 'excitement' of taking the initial plunge into quitting, but by the third day, reality is setting in and so are the discomforts of physical withdrawal from nicotine.

3 Weeks-- Psychological Withdrawal

At three weeks, we've gotten through the shock of physical withdrawal and we're just beginning to tackle the mental side of nicotine addiction. This turn of events triggers cravings to smoke anew for a lot of us.

And be aware ... psychological cravings can produce very real physical reactions in our bodies, making a mental trigger feel like physical withdrawal. Thinking about that smoke break you used to take at a certain time of the day can cause tension that makes your stomach churn and leaves you on edge. It feels like a physical craving, and in a way it is...but the source is a thought, not physical withdrawal from nicotine.

3 Months -- The Blahs

At three months the "newness" of the quit program is wearing off and we're often left thinking "Is that all there is?" The blahs hit, in other words. That too triggers cravings to smoke, often quite intensely.

Power on through this phase, because your comfort with the new smoke-free life you're building will continue to grow with time.

Knowledge is Power

Don't let the discomforts that can come with smoking cessation throw you off course. They are all temporary, and once you move through them, they'll be cleared out and gone for good.

Okay. Will take with a grain of salt. Did same with preggers books and new baby books...then threw them all out and just had a lot of fun with my kid, quirks and all. It may be in my favor that month three will be just as winter is ending...so, more daylight...opportunities to play outside on weekends. Just saying I like the timing of my quit. Day Three of Quit? Hell, that was what, 24 long days ago...I don't even remember Day Three! Haha. Not trying to be flip. Humor keeps me strong. Thanks for everything. Your support and wisdom has been so appreciated, along with all the other great Goddesses of the Quit here. :wub:

• Like 4

As most of you know month 3 can be a difficult time navagating through no man's land. Month 3 for me,made me stronger than I thought I could be. I could have easily smoked and I think those around me would have excused it. I lost my cousin one of my best friends in a car accident..and I was with him. I was angry sad alone and wanting to smoke...I wouldn't let the junkie thoughts win with the help of some very special people here on QT. I ended up weeks later with a collapsed lung and pneumonia. Smoking for any of us is a conscious effort a choice, we cannot blame it on stress, situations or people...for those of you struggling..fight..Stay close to this site and SOS..together we can all beat the junkie thoughts of nicotine.

By the way. .so far for me month 4 has been easy peasey...look out month 5 here I come, working my way to the lido deck!

• Like 5

Nah, it's not dangerous, it's the life affirming month :)  It is the rinse and repeat month where you make sure you're serious...you're already serious so you'll be fine. Some don't even notice it. Some do, we're all different.  My advice for what it's worth, is always focus on the end game. Some days feel tough, some fabulous...ultimately you're already a non smoker...how great is that! End result, you'll be a calmer non smoker :)  Every trigger is a lesson, is a chance to teach yourself you are stronger until you don't notice the battle anymore because it's done. xx

Thanks so much, as always, Marti. Within a given day I will feel really great for a few hours...and will think, oh wow, -- to be followed by a few hours of feeling like absolute crap, like I'm dying. It's soooooo weird. I'm not talking about cravings but energy level. I've been researching this, and it's just common knowledge with the quit. I am absolutely gonna stop worrying about things like month three, and do today...thanks, you're so sweet to reply so quickly...

• Like 2

I don't even remember Day Three! Haha. Not trying to be flip. Humor keeps me strong. Thanks for everything. Your support and wisdom has been so appreciated, along with all the other great Goddesses of the Quit here. :wub:

See there. I bet on day 4 you remembered day 3.... In those early days of your quit, it was brutal!..I'm sure you thought you were going to die... And if not, maybe thought you already did .. ;)

Fast forward a few weeks, and now you claim to not remember day 3..

Well, I hate to tell you, but you are not alone in this... Very few...if any of us remember the early days like we did when we lived them

All of this was wrote to say..

This is proof that the quit REALLY DOES get better...

Yes you will have tough days during month #3 .. You will have tough days the rest of your life... But... Don't blame them on your quit..your quit is why you have so many GOOD days. :).

Everything gets better...not worse... You have been through the worst, and can't remember it, so how bad could anything else be??

Have a good day . :p

• Like 2

See there. I bet on day 4 you remembered day 3.... In those early days of your quit, it was brutal!..I'm sure you thought you were going to die... And if not, maybe thought you already did .. ;)

Fast forward a few weeks, and now you claim to not remember day 3..

Well, I hate to tell you, but you are not alone in this... Very few...if any of us remember the early days like we did when we lived them

All of this was wrote to say..

This is proof that the quit REALLY DOES get better...

Yes you will have tough days during month #3 .. You will have tough days the rest of your life... But... Don't blame them on your quit..your quit is why you have so many GOOD days. :).

Everything gets better...not worse... You have been through the worst, and can't remember it, so how bad could anything else be??

Have a good day . :P

Well, actually there is one day I can't forget - and doubt I will. It was Day 8. Something really stressful came up. I dealt with it but that evening had a major anxiety attack, or something. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't sit, or walk, or sleep. I was alone and thought I should go to the hospital. I turned on my vaporizor, threw a towel over my head and breathed in the steam. I actually fell asleep like that. I never, ever want to have to repeat a quit and a Day 8.  But, also, I found a solution. Steam heat really helps me breathe through stress.  PJ, that you say the quit is bringing me the GOOD hours, and GOOD days...what a pearl of wisdom! Thanks!!!

Hey CPK - month 3 can throw up challenges - but hey look at you - you have already proved you can face them down - so don't stress. Just keep doing what you are already doing take it one day at a time and Keep active on the board - giving and receiving support makes this whole process so much easier a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

You have got this ...and you can't smoke a year cos I have already saved you a spot on the lido deck ... Just say'n a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

• Like 2

This is what I likened many aspects of quitting to (I was prepared for the worst since my crumby attitudes on previous attempts made those attempts not so much fun, and not successful):

mon001.jpg

Haha. This is beautiful, girl! Well done you!

Hey CPK - month 3 can throw up challenges - but hey look at you - you have already proved you can face them down - so don't stress. Just keep doing what you are already doing take it one day at a time and Keep active on the board - giving and receiving support makes this whole process so much easier a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

You have got this ...and you can't smoke a year cos I have already saved you a spot on the lido deck ... Just say'n a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

Okay, so what IS the lido deck?

Okay, so what IS the lido deck?

It is where you will be in 11 months time ...sharing a drink with me !!

In our terminology the Lido is where we go to celebrate our 12 month anniversary .... And many a party has been had there I can tell you ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

It is where you will be in 11 months time ...sharing a drink with me !!

In our terminology the Lido is where we go to celebrate our 12 month anniversary .... And many a party has been had there I can tell you ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

I don't drink anything now but hibiscus tea and espresso, which is too good, but... Care to join me for a group run on a mountain trail? Because that seems like an impossible goal to me - even to run 5 miles - and I've got 11 months to go for it.

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...