Did your parents smoke?

Colleen

Parental Influence On Smoking  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Did your parents smoke while you were growing up?

• Yes, both
    • No, neither parent did
    • One smoked, the other didn't
    • Yes, but they quit while I was still a kid
    • Yes and one quit but the other didn't

My mother was a chain smoker and didn't quit until maybe 10 years ago.  It was life or death, she had no choice.  Healthy and active now.  When I started smoking, she punished me by cutting up my cigarettes but I wish now that she tried harder.  When I was 16, I was given permission to smoke in the house, but only at the dining room table.  Which is surprising, considering how strict she was.  I think she was more worried about me sneaking a smoke in my bedroom and burning the house down.  

Dad was a heavy smoker ...at least until his second heart attack !! 30"years on - happily he is going strong and smoke free at almost 90 !!

My mum ( mom to you northerners !) apparently smoked when she was a young nurse after the war when they were given cigarette rations as a reward for service ( nice reward hey !!!!) .... And smoked one every Christmas day - to the cheers of us kids who thought she finally she looked cool ! ( yep as kids that was what we thought !)

All in all tho - my parents actively discouraged smoking and I am totally responsible for my smoking !!

Both parents smoked..each one smoked 1-1/2 to 2 packs a day each... My father quit when I was a teenager... My Mom quit when she died at age 49 from lung cancer....My Dad died when he was 59.. Non-smoking related (as far as we know...blood clot after minor knee surgery ,arthroscopic )...

Both of my parents smoked. My father died of a sudden heart attack at age 58. My mother quit smoking at age 60 to please her new boyfriend (and eventual spouse  :wub:  ) and is still going strong at 93.

(Hear that, Tracey? You may have many decades to go. Good news for you and REZ, eh?)

Neither of my Parents smoked. All 3 of their children did (including me) long term. Neither of my 2 children smoke. None of my sister's children smoke. My youngest sibling died of lung cancer at age 55....deffs smoking related.