Would like feedback on WEIRD DREAMS...

cpk

What is up with the weird dreams??? Last night's was epic...it was so complex it could have had Chapter Headings. I read this is due to increased REMS...and lighter sleep. I miss my "dead-to-the-world" sleep, and not remembering dreams. Is there anything I can do to lessen all this nighttime intensity? I sincerely hope this isn't the new normal. cpk

Hi CPK the intensity of these dreams will decrease over time, promise, your body is adjusting to life without nicotine and one thing to be affected unfortunately is your sleep pattern, just relax if you can, if you become uptight with the sleep pattern you are currently going through you will make the situation worse.  I myself don't know if there is anything that you can do to lessen the intensity of the dreams, but one way to look on them is that your body is re-awakening to a new you, and that has to be a good thing, everything you go through in your quit journey at the minute is leading you to a better life.  Positive and be proud you are doing a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

When I first quit my doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL to help but the dreams, man they were something out of Hollywood.  So vivid, colorful, real and bizarre.  I'm sure it was from the meds, but still, some of the dreams just creeped me out.  :)

Yeah, creepy. Too right!  But the members here are really inspiring me to enjoy all the stuff that happens in the sticky quit because it's like being on a train going through new territory...and if I stay on the train...it's SAFE. I think there is a lot of fear and anxiety about going on this journey...so I'm grateful as all hell for this site, I read your fiercely well written piece in which you said 'Relapse doesn't happen without romancing or allowing junkie thinking to creep in." I really like this so much! The final quit is so much about unhooking from junkie thinking, and romancing bull****. I think my creepy dreams are about clearing away a lot of stupid thinking and emotional crap. :wub: cpk

• Like 1

The dreams are your brains way of naturally processing a deeper level of information. So it's part of the early quit to have an upswing in them, I have no doubts they will calm down in a week or two back to what your previous normal was, the same with sleeping. I agree with Jackie, don't let it stress you out...just annoying as it is, it's part of the way your body and mind are healing. If any seem particularly repetitive you can always google dream meaning + "whatever the key feature was" and there is a lot of good information out there.

The train is a great place to hang out while we become the person we were always meant to be :)  MQ, and others here, write and share a number of great things to support us getting our thinking and education on nicotine addiction straight for us. It really helps.

• Like 3

The dreams are your brains way of naturally processing a deeper level of information. So it's part of the early quit to have an upswing in them, I have no doubts they will calm down in a week or two back to what your previous normal was, the same with sleeping. I agree with Jackie, don't let it stress you out...just annoying as it is, it's part of the way your body and mind are healing. If any seem particularly repetitive you can always google dream meaning + "whatever the key feature was" and there is a lot of good information out there.

The train is a great place to hang out while we become the person we were always meant to be :)  MQ, and others here, write and share a number of great things to support us getting our thinking and education on nicotine addiction straight for us. It really helps.

I always love your feedback. You really are Ms. Smarty Pants. I know exactly what the dreams are about...I just don't want to have them. Haha. That's what I get for repressing so much with smoking. :wub: cpk

I dreamt about a former creepy smoker friend who always interferred with my quits. After this post I checked a message service I rarely use...and there was two messages from this creepy person. I freaked, like thinking, "OMG, after three weeks of intense quit focus...the very devil is coming at me through this person."  Then I had an instant "switch" in my mind, remembering ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS from everyone here...but especially the comments about romancing the addiction from MQ...and how the pull of addicts is a strong ILLUSION. I remembered a comment from Markus that I am NOW A NONSMOKER ~ and with that comes responsibility. Like Ms. Smarty Pants says (I can't help it -- I love the SP title!) anyway, she always repeats, "It's Just A Thought" --- and that clinched it for me. I am standing strong!

• Like 2

Enjoy the dreams. I know some subject might not be pleasant but when you wake you have the ability to weigh those dreams against reality. Judging your past or future decisions to things that did or could happen. Then ask if you want the dreams outcome or present direction. Adjust real life accordingly. It is possible to learn to play piano if you want. All it takes is time and effort. Or reconnect with lost friends that were in dream. But usually we awake with thoughts of something lost. Even if not possible don't be sad it's over. Smile that that friendship once happened.

• Like 2

Enjoy the dreams. I know some subject might not be pleasant but when you wake you have the ability to weigh those dreams against reality. Judging your past or future decisions to things that did or could happen. Then ask if you want the dreams outcome or present direction. Adjust real life accordingly. It is possible to learn to play piano if you want. All it takes is time and effort. Or reconnect with lost friends that were in dream. But usually we awake with thoughts of something lost. Even if not possible don't be sad it's over. Smile that that friendship once happened.

i KNOW KNOW KNOW this is truth but I'm not fully feeling it. I will take your word for it and go on faith for today...

What you need to remember CPK is the addiction will try every trick in the book to try and entice you back, through a dream, through a niggle, through a doubt, if you give the addiction any room in your head it will grow, it will become bigger, this is what happens when we romance the nicotine, its  very easy to fall into the nicodemon's trap, tell it its no longer welcome in your head, you have control of your life you are doing awesome, we are a team here and we all understand what you are going through xx

• Like 2

What you need to remember CPK is the addiction will try every trick in the book to try and entice you back, through a dream, through a niggle, through a doubt, if you give the addiction any room in your head it will grow, it will become bigger, this is what happens when we romance the nicotine, its  very easy to fall into the nicodemon's trap, tell it its no longer welcome in your head, you have control of your life you are doing awesome, we are a team here and we all understand what you are going through xx

Wow. I'm not fully feeling this yet, but today - for this day - I'm going to work on this. Warrior-like. Thanks. Have a great day! :wub: cpk

• Like 1

I dreamed about my dead dog. I dreamed she was alive, and when I woke up I was really sad. Then I remembered this post from you, bakon, and flipped my thinking, and thought about what a great dog she was and how she gave me 12 years of bliss. So thanks, bakon, this worked, and I appreciate your comment so much. Well done you.

• Like 2