Still in a fog...

cpk

Eighteen days into quit journey, and feel a little lost. Am in limbo between being a smoker/not-smoker.I have not smoked but I just feel strange not smoking. I feel if I don't start making real lifestyle changes ( i.e. swimming) I will continue to feel lost and tense. The "newness" of quitting has worn off...and I need new activities, and a new tribe...and think I've found one here. Thank you. P.S. I stopped coughing in the first week and by the second I think my cilia were waking up. So that's the good news. :rolleyes:

• Like 8

Hi great to see you here and welcome on board, be strong and take each day as it comes, committing to the NOPE pledge every day certainly helps and even if you have to repeat to yourself I find myself doing that sometimes, plan new activities is a good idea and think what you can do with all the money you save, make a treat day for you, the body will go through some amazing transformations over the coming months, and there is some wonderful help and advice here on the quit train, stay close and post as often as you can, "talking" it through really helps xx

• Like 1

Hello & welcome! You are probably going to feel a little lost and tense for the next while no matter what you do, though I think something like swimming is a great idea - but it will pass. Congratulations on 18 days, that's likely the worst of the physical withdrawal, now it's all about undoing and rewiring the associations you've created by smoking. Grab a seat and find something good to read - it really is the key. I think there's a newbie package around here somewhere.

Also, there's a lot more "good news" than just silly cilia, which you will enjoy in due course,

• Like 1

Hmm, are cilia silly? I was certain mine were dead. First week was such a drag I never want to repeat a quit ever again. Pain. Isolating. Crying. And I am not an emotional person. I guess everything was numb. Gosh, it's all so dramatic. I am sooooooo happy I found this site. Yeah, I need all the good news I can get. Thanks.

• Like 3

Wow, missing a body part...like phantom limb syndrome. Yeah. That's it. Like one night I woke up and thought I needed to go out on the porch for a smoke, and I was thinking about where I stashed some smokes. I had completely forgotten I quit and it kind of weirded me out. Thanks for your comment.

• Like 1

Lots of chemicals leaving body. You need water and rest. Don't go crazy and just let it happen

Thanks. I have been feeling emotional and not in control...weird, huh...now that I'm actually on the train! I am going to take your advice, and start enjoying this quit journey a little more...with some sparking cold water.

• Like 1

The fog or a feeling of oddness is normal especially in the beginning, it will get better drink juice to help your blood glucose levels and lots of water. Welcome and congrats on the best decision you have ever made you will not regret it :)

Thanks, Ms. 17,812 ciagarettes avoided!!! What a miracle!!!

It's all normal but like everything else it will it's course - don't be in a rush just enjoy each new day - exercise is a great idea get your body used to producing more natural chemicals that will make you fell even better.  Welcome aboard and congrats on a great decision.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Quit Train, jpk.  When I first quit I felt like I had lost my best friend so it is normal to feel a little lost.  I remember I would cry over the littlest thing so all you are going through is normal.  You have made an excellent choice on quitting! 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome in :)

It feels really strange doesn't it, the limbo feeling. So let me say you are a non smoker. There is no time limit, there is only smoker or non smoker, so you are already in the best choice of camp :)  It can feel over whelming so slow it down for yourself, just today, don't smoke today and for today, find other things to do, get a plan in place so if you think smoking your next thought is something else. For instance, wake up, get coffee and start thinking cigarette but have prepared for this, so you wipe your kitchen work surfaces... it takes the sting out of the trigger. It's only our brains reminding us that we would have smoked here ...no harm in a thought...start getting new healthier thoughts.

Exercise is a win. It releases natural endorphins, the feel good feelings and youwill notice such an improved rate of breathing and energy coming up that it makes me excited for you!

Welcome again. xx

• Like 1

It's all normal but like everything else it will it's course - don't be in a rush just enjoy each new day - exercise is a great idea get your body used to producing more natural chemicals that will make you fell even better.  Welcome aboard and congrats on a great decision.

Oops. Sorry, am just getting used to this site. Love the Nietzsche quote...it goes right up on my frig. Thanks.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Quit Train, jpk.  When I first quit I felt like I had lost my best friend so it is normal to feel a little lost.  I remember I would cry over the littlest thing so all you are going through is normal.  You have made an excellent choice on quitting! 

Thanks. I might actually be crying over some big things I neglected to cry over as a numbed up smoker. However, I did find myself sobbing while watching, "Saving Mr. Banks" with Tom Hanks who plays Walt Disney. I went to Disneyland in CA as a child, a few years after Walt Disney died, and my mother, who was a nurse, said, "Cigarette smoking killed Walt Disney," and I was so sad and confused. I couldn't understand why Mr. Disney would let cigarettes kill him. I never cry watching movies so it was a shock when I started sobbing while watching this one. Poor Walt Disney, lover of trains, never got on the Quit Train.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome in :)

It feels really strange doesn't it, the limbo feeling. So let me say you are a non smoker. There is no time limit, there is only smoker or non smoker, so you are already in the best choice of camp :)  It can feel over whelming so slow it down for yourself, just today, don't smoke today and for today, find other things to do, get a plan in place so if you think smoking your next thought is something else. For instance, wake up, get coffee and start thinking cigarette but have prepared for this, so you wipe your kitchen work surfaces... it takes the sting out of the trigger. It's only our brains reminding us that we would have smoked here ...no harm in a thought...start getting new healthier thoughts.

Exercise is a win. It releases natural endorphins, the feel good feelings and youwill notice such an improved rate of breathing and energy coming up that it makes me excited for you!

Welcome again. xx

This was a great post. Thanks so much! Before going to sleep has been difficult for me. Tonight am having a small bowl of pasta and a very large glass of cold plain hibiscus tea. I am then going to put my gym bag together and set alarm for 5:30 a.m. so I can hit the gym for an early swim. This is definitely a non smoker life, as I got too lazy for morning swims. You must be very excited about your One Year coming up. Congratulations! It is so, so very inspiring. Thank you for taking the time to support me. It has really helped. You are wise!

• Like 2

Hi cpk!! 

Happy to have you here...you seem to have your head in the right place and I have no doubt you have made up your mind to make this your sticky quit.  You will be an asset to this board.  Glad you found us!

Welcome!

• Like 2

I replaced gum for cigs, but ate a bottle of gum (mint no nicotine) now cut that back and have a massive upset stomach and the first days I felt 'no smoke, no gum 'hellup''! 
I'm going to pick up cycling again. And I'm just saying don't trade candy or another addiction (like I did) for cigs it only bites you in the ass. Fill the left over time you have now with NEW activities!

You can do this!

• Like 1