A Relapse Prevention Plan: The Tools of Recovery

sharonsiff

I have added this video I found to Chyrs relapse post but I'll put it out here too. Explains the 3 stages of a relapse Emotional, Mental and Physical. This would have been a fabulous video for me during my first months and hopefully will be of use to others who may need it now.

• Like 5

Sharon, this is a great video! Thank you for posting it.

I quit smoking 3 times before in my life and relapsed each time. So this time I knew that I could quit smoking (as they say, "done it 100 times") but I was particularly sensitive to the relapse problem. I did come very close to relapsing 5 months after my quit. I recognized what was going on and was able to stop it. And really, statistically something like 2/3 of people in smoking cessation support groups relapse within a year so relapsing is a real problem for former smokers. 

Recently, somebody asked me how you know when you are sliding towards a relapse. How do you distinguish between "normal" carves and "dangerous" craves. I hope that my reply to her (below) will help others. 

"... you are asking very good questions. I think just about everybody romances cigarettes to some extent, particularly early in their quits. I don't know what causes some people to romance cigarettes a lot and others not so much. What I learned about myself is that if I'm wanting to smoke in a vague, non-specific way (as in, "Gee, I would love to have a cigarette right now.") that's pretty normal and not a real threat to my quit. But if it escalates to the point where I am actually imagining picking up a cigarette and lighting it (like visualizing myself driving to the nearest convenience store to buy smokes or imagining being in a designated smoking area with my friends and accepting a cigarette from one of them) then we are looking at a serious threat to my quit.

I guess the distinction is between "I want to..." versus "This is how I will..."  A thought versus a plan. That is when you need to redouble your efforts to remind yourself why you quit, distract yourself from thoughts about smoking, and post an SOS here if you continue to struggle."

• Like 3

I think you've hit the nail on the head there... The difference between 'normal craves' and 'dangerous craves'

I can remember, now I think back, that once the thought of nipping to the shop came to me my heart would sink! as I knew it was just a matter of time before I did. I would tell myself, on day one " Sharon, whatever you do DO NOT even let that go to the shop thought enter your head, it will jinx you!"

After watching the video I can see now how I got to that stage, as I'd not put the brakes on and dealt with the emotional stage.

• Like 2

Excellent posts ladies... I vividly remember fearing these 'dangerous craves' more than I actually remember having them... the real problem for me was that I live about 50 yards from the local shop, and they are pretty much open all the time, and really quiet (so hardly ever any queues), so if one of these 'dangerous craves' hit me, I could have been to the shop, bought the fags, and lit up within about a minute.  That is why I HAD TO stick to NOPE, and was always as vigilant as possible.  If I felt one of these 'dangerous craves' coming I would actually go for a walk to be further from my house, and I would purposely leave my wallet at home, too!

• Like 2

"...once the thought of nipping to the shop came to me my heart would skin, as I knew it was just a matter of time before I did."

That's exactly right, Sharon. Imagining yourself buying cigarettes and/or smoking one is a clear danger sign. If you find yourself doing that, get a grip on yourself or post an SOS immediately!

• Like 1

Great strategy, Action! Going for a walk (without your wallet, no less) not only got you farther away from the cigarette shop, the exercise itself and the distractions during the walk are both great techniques for getting through a crave. Your instinctive reaction to strong craves-- get your rational brain to shout, "N.O.P.E.!" at your junkie brain, get some exercise, and distract yourself from thoughts of smoking is PERFECT! Thank you for sharing that.

• Like 2

Great strategy, Action! Going for a walk (without your wallet, no less) not only got you farther away from the cigarette shop, the exercise itself and the distractions during the walk are both great techniques for getting through a crave. Your instinctive reaction to strong craves-- get your rational brain to shout, "N.O.P.E.!" at your junkie brain, get some exercise, and distract yourself from thoughts of smoking is PERFECT! Thank you for sharing that.

Yes, the walk was always enough to ride out the potential crave. It gave me a lot of time to think, and I always came to the same conclusion by the time I got home - that I was the one in control, and not the cigarettes; I decided to go for a walk instead of giving in :)

• Like 2

Yes, the walk was always enough to ride out the potential crave. It gave me a lot of time to think, and I always came to the same conclusion by the time I got home - that I was the one in control, and not the cigarettes; I decided to go for a walk instead of giving in :)

And look at you now my lovely, eh?

You really did do the walk of life... A life to freedom xx

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I am bumping threads about relapse.

How To Prevent A Relapse

Red Flags

Relapse Prevention

The Thing About Relapse

and the Topic Search of 'Relapse'

A relapse doesn't mean you can't quit smoking.

It only means you didn't commit to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever)

So, pick yourself up...

Edited by Sazerac
  • Thanks 1

I found these videos extremely helpful the first two weeks of my quit. There are many of them, explaining what happens with the nicotine addiction, the effects on the body, etc. I stayed on the quit board and whinged a lot (that's a necessary part of the cure!) and watched Joel. And didn't smoke. And, telling myself over and over, the craving only lasts about 3 minutes, though it seems like hours. I just had to wait out 3 minutes. 

Daily Quitting Lesson Guide: Joel Spitzer's Stop Smoking Videos. 

• Like 1