Day two on champix/chantix

Wendy

It was an ingenius idea to check in and for you to diarise feelings!!

I only kept track of the emotional stuff, not the physical so can't give you any advice on brain squeezing.

I do want to say I turned into a bit of a fruit loop emotionally after a few days. I decided to run with it as I was desperate to quit, keep talking and keep in touch in case you need some support there.

xx

• Like 1

Wendy, you know what stopped me reaching for a cig in the first 6/7 months? It was doing this every single day. On crappy days, on feeling fabulous days, and on nearly crying days. It gave me (and four others who had similar journeys) a totally safe place to express our true, raw feelings on how we felt each day. We had a laugh too and it turned into a bit of a Bridget Jones diary... It got all of us through and we still keep in touch via email to this day.

So glad you're doing this

That's great that you are not feeling light headed today Wendy. As you say the feeling might be it going to work on your brain. At least now, via the Stop Smoking Clinic, you can ask her about that. Do you go every week to see her?

Good on yer, Wendy. You're doing great! The problem with tracking your sensations and emotions while taking Chantix is that quitting smoking just by itself can wreak havoc with your mind and your body. It's hard to distinguish what is caused by Chantix and what is caused just by quitting smoking. I'd say that you should pay attention to any "symptom" or side effect that gets worse or more frequent with time. Also, the only real adverse effect of Chantix that I know of is that it can trigger depression, especially in people who have a history of depression (which I do). So I asked my husband to keep an eye on me and let me know if he thought I was developing any mood problems while on Chantix.

Actually, I did have very vivid dreams that disturbed my sleep and I did get mildly depressed (perhaps from the lack of sleep). So I stopped Chantix 3 weeks after my quit (6 weeks total). I was ready to get off the Chantix, anyway, so it all worked out. Actually, I went through a real rough spell at about 10 weeks post quit so I re-started the Chantix again for about 10 days. That helped me to avoid a relapse and I stopped the Chantix again. I've had no serious problems since then.

A number of people had no side effects and some have loads.  

I just wanted to add like you, I was apprehensive to try for what might happen...i got loads of side effects...still felt ok to carry on and best decision I ever made!! I want you to know if I had that choice again, I'd be happy to go through all that and some to get here... 

Happy you feel positive about it Wendy. xx

• Like 1