Commitment to the board - please, everyone read!

action

Hello everyone!

I have made a lot of great friends here, and I really do care about them, so naturally I care about their quit and that they keep it.

Sadly, I have seen far too many of my friends make the fatal mistake of leaving the board too early. They start off really strong, and they will gradually participate less and less on the board until one day they come back and tell us that they are smoking... And that they feel terrible about it!

Please, I know that we are busy people, and that not everyone has the time to spend so much time here, but I am asking you now, please pledge to spend at least your first year participating on the board - your quit will be so much stronger for it, and it will be so worthwhile in the end.

I'm sure that others will agree with me here!

I pledge for another year so, please, who will join me?

• Like 13

I will gladly join you in this pledge Ross. I too, have seen how folks slip away from the board.y Staying close here and helping when I can strengthens my quit.

So much help was given to me (and still is) when I first came here.

I intend to pay it forward.

I pledge another year here on this board. Besides, I would miss all of you if I stay away too long :)

• Like 2

I am in for the ride no doubt - DD would literally drive to my house with her Zombies and kick in my door - Scooby would be on the first flight

to the states to give me a clatter in the jaw and who knows what else would come my way - no thanks!

I prefer to stay quit and help others the way I have been supported.

• Like 3

Brilliant post Ross....

I know for certain...it's making good friends here...that has helped me keep my precious quit....

It does hurt when you care for folk....and they just disappear.....

The daily pledge and the yearly pledge....give you the solid foundations to build a strong quit...

I will pledge to stay with my friends and support anyone who needs it.....

We are a family.....and family look after each other....

• Like 3

During my first quit (oh so many years ago) I thought that if I could quit smoking for one month I would be free. Ha! I was wrong! During the next couple of quits I thought that if I could just get to 3 months I would be free. Ha again! Wrong again! Relapseville again! Then I quit for a year-- a whole year-- surely I am free now, I thought. Uh, um... no. Not yet. I was still romancing the cigarette and hanging on by my fingernails. I relapsed AGAIN!  :(

Finally, when I joined the forum I "met" many people and read many posts from those who had quit for more than one year. Many "Olde Pharts" crowned and welcomed to the lido deck. Best of all, these people were not struggling and hanging on by their fingernails every day like I was. They really were free. And every one of them told us that they had made a commitment to themselves to keep participating on the board regularly for at least one year. It's really important.

I pride myself on learning from others. I took their advice and promised myself that no matter what, I will stay close to this board for at least one year. Thank you, Action, for reminding us all about how important this is.

• Like 4

I will pledge with you Ross for another year.  For without the board, I wouldn’t have made it as far as I have.  I think it is important especially early in your quit to remain close.

• Like 2

Just think of all that time we wasted smoking...Surely there is time for a post or two?  Oh and for the record, if I should ever relapse (which I won't) or wander away I don't want tough love.  I want the member closest in distance to me (as of this writing that would be Jenny, I think)to find me and beat me over the head with a stick.  For real.

• Like 3

Excellent post Ross!   It is so important to stay connected to the board for at least a year.   It helps to keep you accountable, keep you educated and helping others to find the same freedom you have is both rewarding and helpful to your own quit.  

• Like 1

Another post with good timing as I feel like I'm somewhat slipping away.

I pledge to keep with it for a year. Every morning with my coffee, instead of a cigarette I will come to the board.

That is exactly what I did  :)  I was surprised how fast I broke the cigarette with coffee habit. i couldn't believe how good my coffee tasted after quitting  :D

• Like 2

Another post with good timing as I feel like I'm somewhat slipping away.

I pledge to keep with it for a year. Every morning with my coffee, instead of a cigarette I will come to the board.

And this is why it's so important to keep coming back because often times all it takes is reading the right post to get you back on course.

Oh, the first thing I do each morning is grab a cup of perfectly brewed coffee and pull up the forum.  So much better than going outside and having all that smoke in your eyes, not to mention the ruining of a perfectly brewed cup.  :)

I pledge to remain here for many, many years.  I had another forum for 12 years and that was just a niche automotive forum for fun.  This forum has a purpose and means everything to me so guess how long we will be in cyberspace?  Much, much longer than 12 years.  Besides, I spent a lot of time and effort to register this trademark so QuitTrain® is going nowhere.

• Like 8