another failure & redo

mike1339

I failed, again. I have requit, it has been 5 days. I'm feeling a bit down, on myself in general as well as because I continue to fail at quitting smoking. I start off great, but I know my big trigger is driving on the interstate, which I've been doing a lot of lately. Something in me just feels almost like it is a requirement that I smoke when I do those kinds of drives. I dont' even think about it, I stop and buy cigarettes and start puffing away in those situations. When I just stay home, and go to work, I am absolutely able to handle quitting. Not feeling to great about myself right now, but I honestly do want to keep not smoking. I wish that the cravings would just go away, leave me be, let me live my life without them there, without the cigarettes there.

• Like 1

Welcome, good job on quitting again. Can you find a substitute for smoking when you drive? Instead of buying a pack, buy a coffee! For me coffee is a real substitute and I need to be carefull not to drink too much coffee!

Or have a bottle of water in your car / truck and takes little zips 

Taking juice the first 3 days can be helpfull against the withdrawals but you're quit 3 days so you should be fine physically!

WELCOME and stick to NOPE

NOT ONE PUFF EVER (or for today) 

• Like 1

So sorry to read this Mike.

Although it is just a case of NOPE sometimes the flipping mind games can cause more stress, cravings then failures.

I have no idea if this will interest or help you in anyway but am going to post...as you never know.

Consider giving The Chimp Paradox a read. Not a quit smoking book but definitely a de clutter your mind of false truths about habits (you mentioned the interstate drive) and expectations of self.

It really has helped me no end Mike...seriously!

Will give you the link just in case you fancy investigating....

http://www.chimpparadox.co.uk

Lots of mini videos on YouTube too xx

Hey Mike,

I get it. For me it was the kids dinnertime, they mucked about and I didn't want to yell so I'd go smoke - ya know -to handle the situation...but it kept me smoking Mike. Sounds like the interstate is your thing.  Good you've recognised it tho!!  My buddy calls them "practice quits" and I promise you, you absolutely can quit. 

If we don't want to be smokers, we need to find a way to handle those "times" where we struggle. There is always going to be a choice. We need to remember we always have a choice. You need to choose NOPE to smoking and ideally, get a plan in place for that scenario that you can do instead. What about taking a straw with you and sucking air through it?? For me, the car was cough candy time. By the time I'd finished it the crave/trigger had passed and it was ok again.

Congrats on your quit and welcome!! xx

• Like 2

Sounds like you need something in your hand while driving. Boredom too. Get a woman to ride with you to break the silence. Then try and hold on to her mouth to try and get it quiet again. Should be exciting and keep your hands busy.

• Like 2

Hi mike ...good to see you back.....

Never give up....giving up....

My advice....stay with the board ,as much as you can....we will help you through the rough times...

Commit to nope daily....it's a promise to yourself not to smoke that day....

S.o.s. before you smoke....it has saved quite a few quits....

Try a straw cut the size of a cig...to draw on...while your driving....

You can do it...

Hey Mike..How about you find something you like to replace the cigarette while driving?  At the very beginning, I chewed on Twizzlers while driving and stayed away from coffee.  Coffee can sometimes be a trigger for quitters.  

Welcome back, Mike!  The only way you will have to live with cravings for life is if you keep smoking. Every time you smoke, you set yourself up for another crave.  You can do this, just make a plan for those interstate drives...you've had some great suggestions.  Don't waste time not feeling good about yourself...as of right now you are a successful  quitter!!

Welcome back Mike - congrats on your 5 days - now you just need to make a plan for your next interstate drive and checkin here let us know how you went afterwards ! Looking forward to hearing more from you !!

We all have our triggers.  I struggled in the car as well.  I smoked a lot on the way to and from work as it was the only times I had no kids with me.   I used to take a drink with a straw (water or juice) with me and every time I wanted to smoke I sucked on my drink.  It took time but eventually I got over it.  Don't get stressed about losing your quits because it only makes it harder.  Learn from those attempts instead.  The truth is that it's going to suck for a while, but it won't suck forever.  If it didn't get better I never would have made it!

Driving long distances is a trigger for many former smokers but with time, you probably can't imagine smoking while driving at any distance.  I used to chain smoke when I drove and now I don't even think about it.

If you're feeling down about yourself for not quitting smoking, that feeling stops as soon as you quit.  Each time you resist an urge it's a victory.  Feel good about each victory especially early on because once you get off of nicotine you're well on your way to enjoying the rest of your life as a non-smoker.

• Like 1

Not a one of us is perfect and it takes guts to admit mistakes and try again.

Could you listen to Allen Carr audible while in car?  I used to smoke a lot on long drives too, but I'm pleased to tell you I don't even think about it anymore.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we are here to help.

• Like 2

keep getting up mike thats the key, now why not let us be your crutches and support you, stick close to the board, post, play the games

come on we are all behind you - i could post the naked avatar picture?

So without thinking about it you ask for cigarettes and a lighter, hand over money, take the cigarettes, unwrap them, take a cigarette out of the packet, put it in your mouth, light it and smoke it?

You do all of this without thinking?

You know that is a lie. You chose to do it.

Get a tshirt printed that says "shout teapot at me if I ask for cigarettes"

Just stop buying them, you know you're doing it, its not autopilot, its your choice.

If your car has a cigarette lighter in it, throw it away, take the ashtrays out.

• Like 2

Welcome back -seems like you are getting some good advice - what else did you expect - people are here to encourage you not beat you up  -

congrats on taking another step forward - If you really think you are on auto pilot then it is not a craving you are having ti is a conditioned habit -

Smoking is more psychological then people realize - there are some exceptions of course -but a true junkie or addict would not be able to control their

behavior as you say when you are just working etc versus driving - it is an excuse or learned behavior if anything it's not a craving and that is the best part 

about it - yes it sucks that you went back momentarily but at least it was done out of habit and not need - that means it can easily be conquered for good.

Keep going forward and be cognizant of your patterns and behaviors - it will make your quit much easier.