Cosmetic Chit Chat

sharonsiff

Since I stopped smoking I treat myself and budget around £30 a month on a new cosmetic item, or two. That would be what I would have wasted on 3 days worth of cigarettes! Oh my life, when I even write it I can't believe I actually use to do that...still, at least now I have the money to treat myself and it's guilt free and gives me so much pleasure. I love to read up on products and then spend time on you tube watching people's reviews of said products, has become a hobby I really enjoy.

So far my top 5 purchases are....

Benefits Hoola bronzer..amazing product. It's Matt so it looks natural on my skin and it has brown tones so no orange humpalumpa tones. Money well spent

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette....Matt again so perfect for my 45 year old eyelid skin. The pigments in this are high so it lasts all day. Best eye shadows I have ever used.

Daniel Sandler Invisible Blotting Powder...perfect as it's white but when it goes on it simply seals your make up without the Carey and strange colour of other powders. The case is simply beautiful and is very visually high end, which gives me joy to look at as I feel ever so posh when I look at it.

Daniel Sandler Watercolour Liquid Blush...best blush product I have ever used. Comes in a liquid form and one drop on your finger is enough to blush the apples of both cheeks. I use the Passion shade as that is my colour if my cheeks flush naturally. There is a large range of colours and some fabulous shades I will try when I have bronzed skin, in the Summer.

Veil Illuminating Complexion Fix...this is very similar to Benefits High Beam but better, in my opinion. You can get the usual brow, cuspids bow and cheek bone tricks using this but it is also fab on the under eye section, to give you that wide awake look.

Body Bling by Scott Barnes...gives your legs the film star look, I promise! I have both the Platinum and Original and am currently on the platinum but when my legs start to get a tan with move to the darker original.

Sorry if I've gone on but I just wanted to share as there might be others, like me, that get a lot of pleasure treating themselves to beauty products.

So if like me you are into this please share your must haves with me, I am always on the look out to try something new.

Took a picture of the beautiful things I now spend my hard earned cash on

nd4mir.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not much into cosmetics but I think it's wonderful that you have found something you love to reward yourself!

Thank you :) Yes, I really do enjoy spending the small amount each month. I used to never spend money on treats for myself when I smoked, felt too quilty as I could barely afford the cigarettes, let alone real treats. Guilt free spending is very good for my soul... ;)

• Like 2

I think it's great that you found a fun new way to spend your money. Good for you! And just think, you can't put the cosmetics in your mouth and set fire to them!  :D

That was a good one liner Chrysalis..made me laugh ;)

So very true...

• Like 1

Oh gosh I am a make up junkie! I need to take pics of my collection one day.

Oh you must share your must haves with me, please.

I much prefer going off recommendations.

Another thing I purchased, and love, is my Real Techniques foundation blending sponge. It's a Beauty Blender dupe at half the price. Great finish, almost air brush finish, but doesn't clean very well so am going to purchase the real Beauty Blender. Used to be happy with my foundation brush but this really does give an even better finish.

• Like 1

I mainly use Bare Minerals. It feels like I am wearing nothing and looks fantastic. I have tried the knock off versions but find that the brand name is the best, a little also goes a long way so the container lasts me about 6 months. 

I have been wanting to purchase an airbrush and I might actually do it this year. 

• Like 1

I mainly use Bare Minerals. It feels like I am wearing nothing and looks fantastic. I have tried the knock off versions but find that the brand name is the best, a little also goes a long way so the container lasts me about 6 months. 

I have been wanting to purchase an airbrush and I might actually do it this year.

It's funny that you should mention both things as only last week I was intrigued myself with airbrush make up. I watched a video or 10 ;) and I have considered going down that route myself. I checked out a local beauty salon that do Air brush make overs so I think I will get one done, see if I like the finish and if I do I can see myself purchasing a kit.

I watch you tube videos by Matt Goss and he was reviewing Bare Minerals products. We have a department store that sells this product so when I next run out of something I will give it a go.

I hear you about you get much better quality paying more. I tend to purchase more high end products, now I can afford to, and can honestly see a huge difference in quality.

Have you tried Mac Paintpot as a base for your eyeshadow? Omg what a difference that has made, no more creasing in my creases.

I have hooded eyelids so have spent years avoiding wearing eyeshadow as it just never looked right, thanks to you tube I have learnt how to work with the hoods..lol

That's an awesome use of your quit money!   

I like makeup too.  I might try bare minerals now that DD says she likes it.  I have always wanted to.

They sell it at Sephora, which has outlets inside JC Penney, and they do have a trial counter so you can try it out and see how you like it and what the best shade for you will be. I have Tanger outlets about 30 minutes from me and they have an outlet there! Woot. 

I love MAC eyeshadows Sharon. I don't use shadow every day though that is a special occasion thing for me. I normally just wear liner and call it a day. 

• Like 2

That's an awesome use of your quit money!   

I like makeup too.  I might try bare minerals now that DD says she likes it.  I have always wanted to.

It gets fabulous reviews Jenny and there are some great videos about the products on you tube.

That's the only thing I can't wear DD, eyeliner, as it closes my already small eyes. I watch all these fabulous make overs with the batwing flick and such like and it looks so beautiful. I'll be honest I only wear eyeshadow on main events myself. I find a quick flick with my bronzer and a touch on my lower lid and brow of my veil pen and the jobs a good un ;)

Mascara is something I both need and love. As I've aged I have noticed that they are now much lighter. I love Benefits They're Real...amazing but no good when I am doing my part time ironing rounds as all my customers have high end steam irons. I tried Mac waterproof and will say it does what it says and really is waterproof. The trouble is I don't get the Benefits finish so am on the search.

I chat to a beauty artists on Facebook, from www.beautyandtheboutique.com and she has recommended this product, so when I am getting low on the Mac am going to try this one. http://thisisbeautymart.com/fairydrops-tokyo-mascara-glossy-black-water-resistant

The brush looks very fancy.

• Like 1

It gets fabulous reviews Jenny and there are some great videos about the products on you tube.

That's the only thing I can't wear DD, eyeliner, as it closes my already small eyes. I watch all these fabulous make overs with the batwing flick and such like and it looks so beautiful. I'll be honest I only wear eyeshadow on main events myself. I find a quick flick with my bronzer and a touch on my lower lid and brow of my veil pen and the jobs a good un ;)

Mascara is something I both need and love. As I've aged I have noticed that they are now much lighter. I love Benefits They're Real...amazing but no good when I am doing my part time ironing rounds as all my customers have high end steam irons. I tried Mac waterproof and will say it does what it says and really is waterproof. The trouble is I don't get the Benefits finish so am on the search.

I chat to a beauty artists on Facebook, from www.beautyandtheboutique.com and she has recommended this product, so when I am getting low on the Mac am going to try this one. http://thisisbeautymart.com/fairydrops-tokyo-mascara-glossy-black-water-resistant

The brush looks very fancy.

I can't wear eye shadow because my eyelids don't show. I think they call them hooded eyes?  

• Like 1

I can't wear eye shadow because my eyelids don't show. I think they call them hooded eyes?

Yes they are Jenny, same as mine.

Check out videos on eye shadows for hooded eyes on you tube, in fact this is the one I watched and I've never looked back. It honestly is worth the 24 mins of your time Jenny

http://youtu.be/8k8TUTDYY1g

Don't get an airbrush set, worst money I ever spent.

Sharon, Urban Decay is my go to brand, love their eyeshadows. 

• Like 3

I have been using cover girl's 'full lash bloom' lately b/c of all the hype about your lashes staying soft and not crunchy.  Which they do stay soft which I quite like, but just since we were talking about this I decided to throw on a coat of 'Butter London' mascara, and definitely you get fuller eyelashes.

But I do like the full lash bloom still.

• Like 1

Don't get an airbrush set, worst money I ever spent.

Sharon, Urban Decay is my go to brand, love their eyeshadows.

Thanks for the heads up on that one Ava, I'll stick to my current one then (no7 lift and luminate) and my sponge... Save myself being disappointed.

Will check out the mascara both yourself and Colleen mentioned.

• Like 1