Surgery is scheduled...

joe

Im  not sure if I want to call this good news...or bad news.....

its good news because my neurosurgeon scheduled me for back surgery on Tues. (12/30) ..

its bad news because my neurosurgeon scheduled me for surgery on Tues...lol

Surgery is a scary to me..i have never  been in a hospital other than to visit someone...so since this time it is me in the bed, it has me a bit nervous.

On the other hand, I am happy as hell to hopefully be putting an end to the back pain that Ive had...on and off for years...and more recently it has been constant since July.....

soooo............

believe it or not, I am actually looking forward to it!  The last month or so, I have been having epidurals, but they didn't help at all...

I was just shocked that when I went in Friday (12/26) he said he could do it on Tues...I was expecting a couple weeks wait..

So...I will be celebrating New Years with my pain meds.....Its been a long time since Ive been "comfortably numb" ...lol

Oh..and one more thing..... Until you go through the hundred questions that is asked when filling out the forms, you wont know the feeling you get when the question is..."Do you smoke ?" ..seriously..its a proud moment..the reaction from the Drs to the nurses and the girls that take the information is amazing...I think because they understand that it is no small task to quit...and stay quit for a year.... after 35+ years of smoking....Its very encouraging  :)

• Like 8

Thanks Bat...Dr says 4 to 6 weeks and I will be good as new with no restrictions....well...other than dont be stupid  :blink:  .. It sounds like it is a somewhat "simple" procedure ...only lasts  1 1/2 hrs...spend the night and go home in the morning as long as everything goes as planned...I guess all I need is to have my spinal column cleaned out to give the nerves a little wiggle room :P  He said my parents are partially to blame...(genetics)..I am glad it wasn't all the dumb things I did when i was younger...lol

• Like 1

Joe, I don't blame you for being nervous! The idea of surgery scares the heck out of me. But an end to the back pain is going to feel amazing. I have a lot of back and chest pain from Costochondritis that flares up all the time, so my sympathies to you. It can be so debilitating.

But that feeling you get when you are asked if you smoke and you can confidently say no is probably one of the most exciting feelings I've ever felt. When you tell health professionals you quit, they are always so proud! Such an amazing reaction to witness!

• Like 1

you know it is another good reason you dont smoke now a lot of neurosurgeons will not do your surgery if you smoke unless it is an emergency of course, because smoking delays and impedes healing in spinal surgeries. They even test those for nicotine levels if they state that they quit for surgery to ensure that they have.Smoking affects the outcome of these types of surgeries and other ones as well. So another positive thing about quitting is you will not have delayed or impeded healing. :)

• Like 1

I am going to vote for good news.

I know it's human nature and natural to panic, but I just think on it as a free sleep and a pass on housework for a few weeks when I have an op...use that mentality!  Seriously Joe, pain free will be so amazing after the initial recovery. I bet you have under estimated how quickly you will feel better.

xx

• Like 1

thanks for all the comments...this place is great!

you guys/gals do realize that I will be  off work for 4 to 6 weeks????.........

I never had a tablet before...just a PC...for Christmas my wife got me an Ipad....I'm portable now...lol...so.

some of you may get mighty tired of my (poor attempt at ) humor!  :)  ...

I may actually appear to be on here more than, DD ..Colleen...and Action ..combined! :P :D 

• Like 2

I may actually appear to be on here more than, DD ..Colleen...and Action ..combined! :P :D

Ok - so you are obviously already on meds if you think that is possible a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

Seriously - so happy you will soon be pain free a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34