Under a month??? Anyone want a huckleberry?

bakon

All youse guys who are under a month quit how bout giving us a holler?

That's how Pittsburgh talks....

Anyone under a month here? Got anything to say? any troubles? latest victory? 

Tell us sumthing....

• Like 1

I'll have five days in 10 minutes. So far it's been okay which actually worries me. I'm afraid that because I haven't struggled too much, I'll easily go back to smoking because I'll just tell myself, "it wasn't hard to quit, I can do it again". I know I should be thankful for a relatively easy quit, and I am thankful, but also worried.

Actually, it's not so much that it hasn't been hard but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

I've also been trying to walk every day, hoping to replace a bad habit with a healthier one. We'll see.

• Like 7

Hey JC. I don't know all your story, but good work on 5 days.

Don't be worried. Be vigilant.

Several people here quit, relapsed and the smoked for 10 years before they got around to quitting again. You can do yourself a lot of damage in 10 years

• Like 2

Master gardener ought to be huckleberry here...she knows this more recent than us. By why under a month, cause these are the target which need most support. Not all, just most...

And by giving jc a line or two, you help yourself everyday. You up for the task of checking in on jc for a couple weeks?

Actually not going with jc as nickname till we know you better. Tell us your quit method and maybe alittle about yourself if you could???

I will say me and sgt probably had a similar quit like you have going ...I didn't struggle, I commented on what I felt, and had some events which I felt I could release, but not once did I really break down or go off the deep end. Just grabbed NOPE and went with it. When your ready, your ready and I was ready.

• Like 2

My quit method is using the patch. I'm not sure I need it since I quit because I finally just got fed up with smoking, but I just want to be safe. I figure I'll go with the patch for the three weeks and maybe switch to the gum until finally I don't need anything. I just don't want the physical withdraw to overtake my mental desire to quit. I'm also finding this site useful because if nothing else, it's occupying my time.

I will tell you that mornings and taking my dog out are the two hardest times for me. I've replaced my morning cigarette, always my favorite of the day, with making coffee and checking in on this site. As for taking my dog out, it's just something I have to grit my teeth and do anyway!

JC

• Like 6

I'll have five days in 10 minutes. So far it's been okay which actually worries me. I'm afraid that because I haven't struggled too much, I'll easily go back to smoking because I'll just tell myself, "it wasn't hard to quit, I can do it again". I know I should be thankful for a relatively easy quit, and I am thankful, but also worried.

Actually, it's not so much that it hasn't been hard but it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

I've also been trying to walk every day, hoping to replace a bad habit with a healthier one. We'll see.

You are doing great Jclarke!  If you would like a quit meter in your signature like many of us have, instructions are here.  For a QuitTrain ticker, click the tab on the top of the page, and you can choose what you like and paste in your signature.!

• Like 2

Multiple anything is good.

Jc I used patch in past. You will feel it when not using it. I would not go gum after patch. Just patch till your ready to stand on own would be my advise but don't follow a two month patch program if you can just rip it off at earlier point. I like cold turkey best. So sooner is better. Get that crap out of your blood and get busy living.

Me being anyone's huckleberry is laughable and ludicrous. I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth and would feel like a fake and a fool.

That said, I like that Bakon just put a message out there, for people to answer or not. I have benefited immensely from some pms (you know who you are) but I think it is nice to see an older (ahem, only in quit date) member reach out and just ask how is it going.

K

• Like 6

Me being anyone's huckleberry is laughable and ludicrous. I am hanging on by the skin of my teeth and would feel like a fake and a fool.

That said, I like that Bakon just put a message out there, for people to answer or not. I have benefited immensely from some pms (you know who you are) but I think it is nice to see an older (ahem, only in quit date) member reach out and just ask how is it going.

K

What's going on that you're hanging on by the skin of your teeth?  You're 3 months quit which is normal for some to struggle a bit.  Thanksgiving is behind us and Christmas is in full swing now.  Are you craving?  Think you're missing out?

• Like 1

Really your pretty good at being here and strong enough to make three months.... Unless your were using gum or patches the whole time.

Everyone new, lurking or posting, the substance we are fighting is nicotine. When you finally quit nicotine gum or patches, there will be symptoms that a cold turkey found the minute they quit smoking. Patches help break the habit but everyone has to get over the nicotine hump sooner or later. At three months you should

Be rolling easy

K

Really your pretty good at being here and strong enough to make three months.... Unless your were using gum or patches the whole time.

Everyone new, lurking or posting, the substance we are fighting is nicotine. When you finally quit nicotine gum or patches, there will be symptoms that a cold turkey found the minute they quit smoking. Patches help break the habit but everyone has to get over the nicotine hump sooner or later. At three months you should

Be rolling easy

I was not rolling easy at 3 months...I hit a rough patch and was crying and angry...I knew I wasn't going to smoke, but it was not easy.  What helped me, though, was encouraging others who were just starting their quits...MG, they will relate to you much better than they will to me...so they need you.  People who have been quit one day or one week do not want to hear from those of us who have longer quits...they want to hear from people right in front of them...so please don't underestimate your ability to make a huge difference for someone...even if you are struggling, yourself.

• Like 3

My quit method is using the patch. I'm not sure I need it since I quit because I finally just got fed up with smoking, but I just want to be safe. I figure I'll go with the patch for the three weeks and maybe switch to the gum until finally I don't need anything. I just don't want the physical withdraw to overtake my mental desire to quit. I'm also finding this site useful because if nothing else, it's occupying my time.

I will tell you that mornings and taking my dog out are the two hardest times for me. I've replaced my morning cigarette, always my favorite of the day, with making coffee and checking in on this site. As for taking my dog out, it's just something I have to grit my teeth and do anyway!

JC

JC,

You will find that many of us found some healthier habits in place of smoking.  I had no big desire to exercise, I just needed to burn extra energy.  What started as a simple 20 minute bike ride got me to gradually join 2 gyms at once and it really changed my life around.  It got to the point where if I smoked I would not be able to keep up with my new lifestyle.  I was diagnosed with COPD at 37 and breathing was difficult.  Quitting gave me a second chance at life and I won't throw that away for a stinky poison stick.  

As for the patch, I used it for 8 days and ended up taking it off because it just wouldn't stay on.  The biggest difference I noticed was once I took off the patch, I had a hard time keeping awake after 8 pm and I've always been a night owl up late puffing away.  Before long though, my sleep leveled off.  The board became my patch, before this no quit of mine lasted more than 12 hours.  Stick with the board JC, even if you don't want to talk or read about quitting, the social board can provide a lot of distractions :)

• Like 1

good points nancy and ginger...that's why you two eggs are in the front of the bus, leading the singing....

so tomorrow we need to look for Natalie, jc and check on the dirt digger and find out whats up there.....

• Like 1

Hey JC

Dog walk. I had the same issue. I decided to make it a time where I focused on nature and my senses. Maybe it was only in my head, but quitting enlivened my senses. I could smell more, taste more, my eyes seemed more 'open'. So I would walk the dog and tell myself 'wow, my breathing feels cleaner. What a great benefit!' And "hmmm...I seem a little less breathless than last month" etc....

I used that time in the morning for a little self audit.

• Like 1

Rereading my post this morning, I must say what a cranky b***** she was last night. My tickers are confusing and I should probably remove the top one. I have been totally nicotine free for a month and a half. Things are much better in some ways and not in others. I am an impatient person and find it hard to be patient with the slowness of some parts of the quit.

Thanks, Nancy for letting me know it is okay to not be fully okay :wacko: 

To JC, as Bakon said I would not go from the patch to the gum. I used the lozenge and I think both the lozenge and gum are closer to actually smoking than the patch. The patch is a steady, slow nicotine feed but with the lozenge (and I assume the gum), you get that little high that is a faint echo of actually smoking and it can become addictive. I think. I would try to go CT after you stop the patch.  

• Like 4

To JC, as Bakon said I would not go from the patch to the gum. I used the lozenge and I think both the lozenge and gum are closer to actually smoking than the patch. The patch is a steady, slow nicotine feed but with the lozenge (and I assume the gum), you get that little high that is a faint echo of actually smoking and it can become addictive. I think. I would try to go CT after you stop the patch.

That makes so much sense! I had never thought of it like that before... thank you!

• Like 2

I just don't want the physical withdraw to overtake my mental desire to quit. I'm also finding this site useful because if nothing else, it's occupying my time.

You are giving withdrawal symptoms WAY TOO MUCH POWER.  YOU ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE !

I am glad you find the site useful and distracting....you can also use it to educate yourself on your Addiction....HERE

• Like 2

K

You will never be laughable or ludicrous, Mg.  Your experience will help others,  those further along in their quits and newbies too.  You have a great quit going !

• Like 2

I am still using my patch and the first two or three weeks I would chew nicotine gum to get through tough cravings. I cut off the gum a few weeks ago, and am about to step down to 14mg patch. I worked out this plan on day 3 of my quit with the help of my doctor, and I am going to follow it through.

I know cold turkey gets all the nasty done right at the start, but this is the most successful quit attempt of my life so I feel like it's right for me.

I agree that the gum is more similar to smoking, and going to it after patches is probably not the best.

In any case NRT is better than cigarettes.

• Like 5

I am still using my patch and the first two or three weeks I would chew nicotine gum to get through tough cravings. I cut off the gum a few weeks ago, and am about to step down to 14mg patch. I worked out this plan on day 3 of my quit with the help of my doctor, and I am going to follow it through.

I know cold turkey gets all the nasty done right at the start, but this is the most successful quit attempt of my life so I feel like it's right for me.

I agree that the gum is more similar to smoking, and going to it after patches is probably not the best.

In any case NRT is better than cigarettes.

Absolutely, do what feels right for you Kristin!! There isn't a one size fits all approach otherwise there would be many less smokers...not sure that's grammatically correct but ya know what I mean lol.

I'm so so delighted we can share your journey Kristin, it's pretty awe inspiring - you are fabulous :)

x

• Like 3