Learned something about myself today..

sherry

I was wrapping presents when my dad called, he said "we've been in an accident, can you come get mom?"

I said, "where are you - are you hurt? why just mom?" 

"Just please come get your mom" he said and told me where they were..so I hung up grabbed my stuff an headed out..a thousand things running through my mind.. I had to keep tellin myself  "keep calm, speeding won't help them if you don't make it there - don't speed, don't speed.."

When I got to the accident they were both ok, shaken up, but not hurt,..they were coming to a stop so the car ahead of them could make a left turn when the car behind slammed into them sending them into the car in front.... the cops took all the information from everyone and let me take my folks home, .. I got them all settled in at their place and came home,.. my  adrenalin was still pumping but not nearly like it was on the way down or when I was first coming on to the scene and saw all the flashing lights from the cop cars and rescue...

They were ok, I was ok, everything was ok... I needed to tell the kids, but they are all working today so I sent an CC email out them... and thats when it hit me.. 

Two or three months ago I would have been "so stressed out" all I would have thought about was smoking "to calm my nerves" the drive over, all the lights, the waiting until they would let me see my parents while they were being checked out on the scene..I would have "needed" to smoke.....

But it didn't even enter my mind.... 

So what have I learned from this?...I learned that the  time and effort and fighting the addiction is well worth it, it DOES get easier..

what once would have sent me into  massive craving - just wasn't there - I am a non smoker, and today I was able to take care of my 78 year old dad and 76 year old mom when they were scared and needed me - without the selfishness of wanting to smoke and being agitated because I couldn't.. today nicotine was an after thought.... and because of that, my focus was where my parents needed my attention to be.. on them.

If you haven't stopped smoking yet but want to.. do it, just do it.. you never know when the phone will ring and someone will need you... ALL of you, ..

• Like 13

Wow! Great post, Lace! First, let me say that I'm so glad your folks are OK. Whew!

But the fact that you could handle all that stress and not even think about smoking is fantastic! You really have turned the corner mind and body-- you really are a non-smoker now. And you're right; all of us who quit smoking will get there some day. We need to stop scaring ourselves about how difficult it will be to quit and just take the plunge. It is so worth it. 

Thanks again for the inspiring post. 

• Like 1

Hi lace....so glad your mum and dad are ok....scarey for you....

But wow....it's a great feeling when the light bulb goes on.....

We always thought we needed our crutch to get us through a crisis....

The beautiful truth is we don't....we do just as good without it...

well done sweetheart...

Hugs xx

• Like 1

Lady Ace.

That is most definitely nailing it.

I remember when we first "met" me quit less than a month and new to the board, you getting yourself ready to quit under Drill Sergeant Tracey...

Then less than a year later, I read an inspiring, confident post like that.

Fantastic work Lace. Really fantastic.

Good to hear Mum and Dad were shaken but not stirred!

• Like 1

Chrysalis, thank you... and you are sooo right, we do "get there" if we keep at it..some (like myself) it  takes a bit longer..when I was new to my quit, the "older" quits would tell me - non / never smokers handle what life throws at them every day without thinking of putting something in their mouth and lighting it..you will get there - you just have to stay with it, guess what?they were right LOL!! 

Chrispy, thanks, "like a boss" ? I like that,   :D

Doreen, thank you, I don't remember the last time I was that scared...it really is a great feeling to know - really know you can get thru a crisis without wanting to smoke! (thanks for the hug too, I am right proud of myself  :rolleyes: )

Thanks El B,  it seems somewhere along the line I got off of the shoulders that were carrying me and got up on my own two feet - who knew!?!  .. and yes, I'm happy the folks were "shaken not stirred" too!!  :laugh2:

Thanks Wendy, My imagination was on overdrive during the ride to them, sure was nice to see them get out of the back of the ambulance and wave at me! 

Thank you Miss Tracey .. (love your new avatar by the way) .. for the record, I  got myself a bag of chocolate chip cookies, they're  half gone  already!! B)

Thanks Dentalfloss, thats a wonderful way to put it, "the silver lining" :)

• Like 1