Where the newbies??????

bakon

We need a list, or roll call, or something, everyone under a month gets a follow up daily and check ins. I usually don't recognize the names for 1 week celebrating..But then some go missing....so we need a daily newbie roll call, not just the daily pledge. I never, not once pledged...just not my thing...but maybe when a newbie signs in, the first person to recognize they are here, or someone posts to their thread...they call sponser, or big brother/sister  or guide...I don't know what name, but they volunterr to help for first month or till newbie gets a quit buddy,,,,,older buddy maybe...name thing will work itself out. Anyways we should see that sponser post daily caling the newbie to post how they are...example

ginger posts   "bakon day 2, how it hanging?"

bakon, my friend I care deeply about, its your day two, how do you feel? did you meet nancy yet? she is on week 1 and might be good for you to follow a little. any problems?" 

now we don't have to all talk girlie and lovey feelie like the pimp.   some sgt talk works on a lot of people, but got to feel that out. and call another sponser to step up if your match aint making it. some people just aren't meant to direct some personalities. but just a friendly check in can get us all to come take a look and maybe via some pm these admin yahoos can work out a detail or too instead of posting cats everywhere...

you girls seem to be more thoughtful at this stuff, but I hate seeing two weeks in and we cant find someone....

bat dog meatloaf buritto joe  we can jump in toooo but the pimp will probably beat us a lot. mr feelings and a six hour daily head start on that island (I know the queen of Scotland is there, but she has trouble just counting before noon)

now I tried to crack wise some on this idea, but serious on the premise

• Like 7

I agree, Bakon....it is discouraging to lose track of newbies...and I like the idea of sponsors or mentors...but if newbies just never sign back in...what can we do?  

Okay...helper is mentor...first one to reply to newbie is initial mentor...can be changed later if rapport is better with someone else..

I agree, Bakon....it is discouraging to lose track of newbies...and I like the idea of sponsors or mentors...but if newbies just never sign back in...what can we do?  

Okay...helper is mentor...first one to reply to newbie is initial mentor...can be changed later if rapport is better with someone else..

change mentor to quit buddy...

Hey, Bakon, I like the basic concept of reaching out to newbies. However, I think we would be wise to remember that some people are a little shy, especially at first. And some like to lurk for a week or two and see how things work around here before going pubic. So calling out to people on the public forum might be too much too soon for some.

Under the "Members" tab we can do an "advanced search" looking for people who registered before or after a certain date. What if, once a week, somebody sent a private message to everyone who signed up that week offering friendship and encouraging them to introduce themselves if they haven't already. 

I thought that Beth was going to start emailing fallen-away members a few months ago. How did that work out? Did she try it? What type of response did she get from "the disappeared"?

• Like 1

She was doing the older members I think. Plus she got some health stuff

I don't recommend calling them out. Just saying hi or asking how they are doing is quite different.

Lurkers disappear to easy. Or fail to easy. If we want to be helpful then a little more than responding to a question is needed to get a better success rate.

Hey joe you ok. It's day 2! Means someone here is thinking of him. Someone put time into thinking of them and cares. If someone cares then I must be important enough to say I still here.

The problem this group faced has been since the beginning we have more experience than newbies. Always heavy towards the easier part of quit. We have some since day one. Or like to repeat day one but hardly have more than three on week one at anytime. So quit buddies don't form as quicklly. I don't like name sponsor or mentor. Buddy should be reserved for those close to same time frame. Friend or like doc holiday said "I'll be your huckleberry "

We get a name and then it falls into place.

Silly not making rules. Organized help. Doesn't mean you can't check into thread or call huckleberry on everyone. Just like to see ever newbie get a huckleberry

I'm all for sending a PM to someone who has not logged in for a bit.  Just to reach out and encourage.  They'll always be people who sign up and then don't go through with it.  Maybe they come back at a later date, maybe they don't.   I know in the early days of my quit I would have loved to have had people reach out to me.   jwg was the first PM I got.  Wish I still had that pm.

• Like 1

When I relapsed I was asked if I had a quit buddy - I don't.  I still don't.  To be honest, I'm not sure I want one - I don't want my fragile quit to get tied up in another person's fragile quit if that makes sense.  The mentor, big brother/sister, huckleberry idea is better but I don't think that can be 'assigned'.  I agree with Sally on that one.  If that's a role you want to fill, then reach out and adopt a newbie!

Don't worry Wendy, I've got my eye on you... ;)

• Like 2

My imput .....

Bakon....I think a lot more goes on behind the scenes...private messages are being sent to newbies....

I'm not just speaking for myself.....I know there are folks here who encourage the new folk off the board....

I have trouble sometimes....remembering all the newbies names.....but I think that cos I'm gettin on....

But there are folk who know them all..and post to them all....

When I was a newbie....I was so shy...and was beaten down by this addiction...I was scared....

I was also embarrassed ....I felt shame.....

I would never have started posts....sharing my fears.....

A couple of people ...nancy is one of them here....took me on board privately....helped me through stuff....

Then one day I did have the confidence to post...

I think the members here...do a wonderful job.....

All I am saying is....because we don't see things....it doesn't mean it's not happening...

• Like 5

Damn it...every time a new lady turns up Pimp is in there like Flynn.

Devastating handsome sexy beast strikes again.

Then before you know it, the girl is an egg, proclaiming undying love for breakfast meat.

This is the worst dating site ever. I want my money back!

To all newbies, not so newbies: I quit. I got it. I am not going to smoke again. I'm here because people hung around to help me. I'm here because there are folk here that I really care about. Hell, I'm here because I care about the Quittrain.

Quitting has probably saved my life. If you think I can help you save your own life, then claim me as Quit Buddy, Mentor, fat friend in kilt. Just drop me a PM saying Hi.

• Like 6