New User- My Smoking Story

Well done belle....

Your doing great.....one week tomorrow.....

Be on your guard with alcohol....many have lost a great quit while drinking.....

I stayed away from it for a while ...so not to be tempted....

One cig a day ..is still pumping poisions in to your body...and can cause many illnesses.....

Stu is so right.....when your taste buds wake up properly....your food and wine taste so much better.....

Congrats on finding freedom....

My enjoyment of cigarettes is undoubtedly as a result of my addition.

But there was something nice about going outside to be alone. I live with my wife and daughter, so I guess it was nice to be able to do something without someone asking, "where are you going?" It's hard to explain, but smoking gave me more privacy. 

But like I said, you simply cannot smoke occasionally- once you smoke full-time like I did, you can't revert back to occasional. 

I am trying to replace smoking with other things. For instance, I am drinking herbal tea at night and it really relaxes me. 

Finally, re: alcohol, I am really challenging myself either consciously or unconsciously. I figure that its best to torture yourself (I am quitting mid-exam time) at the beginning so it will get easier as time passes. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I forgot to wear a patch on my 3rd day. I also drank alcohol on the first night.  Getting over these humps at the beginning without smoking was important to me and will decrease the likelihood of me slipping up later.

I'll update again soon!

• Like 2

My enjoyment of cigarettes is undoubtedly as a result of my addition.

But there was something nice about going outside to be alone. I live with my wife and daughter, so I guess it was nice to be able to do something without someone asking, "where are you going?" It's hard to explain, but smoking gave me more privacy. 

But like I said, you simply cannot smoke occasionally- once you smoke full-time like I did, you can't revert back to occasional. 

I am trying to replace smoking with other things. For instance, I am drinking herbal tea at night and it really relaxes me. 

Finally, re: alcohol, I am really challenging myself either consciously or unconsciously. I figure that its best to torture yourself (I am quitting mid-exam time) at the beginning so it will get easier as time passes. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I forgot to wear a patch on my 3rd day. I also drank alcohol on the first night.  Getting over these humps at the beginning without smoking was important to me and will decrease the likelihood of me slipping up later.

I'll update again soon!

Every time you conquer a crave you get stronger.  One thing I had to learn (for me it was at work)was that even though I was not smoking, it was okay to go walk around outside for a few minutes....for my alone time, or just to gather my thoughts.  So glad you recognize that having "just one"  is out of the question...one puff away from a pack a day.  Look forward to celebrating one week!!

Hi Bellerophon..How are you today?? Doing good I hope.

yep, I can relate to the outside time.. for me it was "my time"- watch the birds and squirrels and just "be"... I still have that, but I switched out ciggs for Red Hots  in the begaining.. just sit out there eat'n one of those little sweet/hot candies at a time .. it helped  with the "hand to mouth" aspect in the early days, and I didn't feel like I was missing out on "my time"... I even told my husband once (only had to tell him that one time) "let me alone out here with my Red Hots or go buy me ciggs - your choice"... now he knows when I wonder outside or just go sit on the back step, it's for me.. not cuz I need a nicotine fix - but just cuz I want that solitude- enjoy the nature ... theres nothing wrong with "me time".. if it helps you, keep doing it - (just without the cigg of course  :) )

• Like 2

Hey Belle

You make a very good point about the privacy thing - I am quite possibly the person in the world LEAST likely to meditate (maybe a tie with Bakon) - but I have found it really helpful to make time for five minutes "Me time" each day. I just got a little app for the iPhone.

Cigs for me were punctuation. I would finish a task, have a smoke. Make a call, have a smoke. etc etc

I replaced the cig with a quick walk round the block for a while.

I have tea also, putting the kids to bed was/is a huge trigger for me so instead I have a cup of tea. After dinner I will take the dog out. At work I just go outside and have some deep breaths and focus on how well my lungs are working. Gets me away from the desk for a bit, also do the tea thing sometimes as a break from work. Cinnamon candy or toothpicks while driving, ect.

Thinking about you, Bellerophon.

I still take my breaks outside.

Primarily to be alone, breathe clean fresh air, look at the sky, gather my wits.

That isn't going to change in my life. 

I don't have to poison myself while I take that break anymore.  

That changed for Good !

Nice to meet you B, well done on a fine quit and fine attitude, that will see you succeed,

Camomile tea really helps me sleep and relax at night, you can still get a cuppa tea/coffee and go outside or somewhere quiet for some me time, just because you don't smoke doesn't mean you can't have those quiet times again, explain to your wife you are taking 10 min break to relax/think /clear your mind, you could try meditating if you're into it,

Sue x

WELCOME!!!

I keep my patch on at night, only because I would wake up due cravings. In the morning I take the old one off and put on a new one on clean skin, not washed with soap!!!!

I discovered that here in the Netherlands we have two brands of patches and Nicorette (gum / patch / spray)  is way more concentrated somehow. I use Niquitin, the patch, you can look through and it has 4 angels (dunno how to translate) the one I mentioned above is skincolor and round.

I used gum but during a mental trial I picked in the station store for patched, the 21 mg. And I'm glad I did. Now 2 weeks further I'm on step 2 14 mg and doing well the cravings are mainly mental; caused by the idea 'what if the patch falls off or like yesterday me thinking going down one step means less nicotine which causing a mental craving while in fact I only wanna smoke because I've used off and on patches / smoking for the last then years. Right now I AM SUCCESFULL. I am telling you my mental fears about going on later on without nicotine because the patches gave me a false feeling of safety. Don't let it get that far; use them and go down a step whenever you feel like it's okay. 

The patch CAN be a great way to support you quit. So can all those other pills, gums etc. But it's US who need to stick with NOPE. 

I use a patch now because I'm doubtfull that if I just pull it off my body I THINK I start having withdrawals. + my mental fears so I finish the steps and then I tie myself to the board the day I continue without nicotine.

I've done the same, patch on, patch off for a smoke... but that way your only torturing yourself. 

Stand for you quit, CHOOSE to QUIT

Hey everyone.

If any one is worrying about me falling off the wagon, don't. I'm still going strong. 

Still craving (especially at night), but I have taken up tea-drinking as an hobby. 

I haven't used the patch in about 10 days. 

El and Sazarac: I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about smoking being "me time". Do you think it's a good idea to go outside (and not smoke) to get the same time or would it making the craving to smoke stronger?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that it's been over a month since I quit! I haven't caved once, and my cravings are slowly starting to subside. 

I drink various herbal and green teas now since I do not associate tea with smoking, and therefore do not crave when I drink it. 

I hope everyone had a good Christmas!

• Like 9

Hey Mr, this is great news!!  Youneed to add your date on the calender so we can celebrate with your next milestone :)

By the way I love to sit outside and gather myself in the fresh air now without smoking. Or go for a walk. I take a bottle of water with me most times, which is what I put in place to do early quit instead...I would just take sips of water instead. 

x

UPDATE

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that it's been over a month since I quit! I haven't caved once, and my cravings are slowly starting to subside. 

I drink various herbal and green teas now since I do not associate tea with smoking, and therefore do not crave when I drink it. 

This is great news!

UPDATE

Fabulous  news!  So happy for you!!