My advise to new peeps

I am going to tell you what helped me in the beginning.....

1. running or walking or any exercise whenever I had a crave, felt anger, or anything really

2. lots of water

3. goldfish thats right goldfish(the ones you eat not the ones that swim lol)

4. JUST DO NOT SMOKE NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!! This is important it is ok to cry, it is ok to scream, it is ok to whatever but just do not smoke it WILL get better you just have to let it.

5. listen to people here when they tell you it will get better they know of which they speak.

Now I will tell you how I came to the decision to quit:

In march of 2012 I had a horrible cholesterol test so I decided I needed to do something because I did not want to take a statin (not a good pill taker lol) my triglycerides were 300!!!! So I decided I would lose weight, I was obese to be honest so I was doubly killing myself I was obese AND I smoked. I decided to work on the weight loss first (why I did not do it together I dont know lol excuses) by August of that year I was down to 175lbs from 231 lbs. My husband ended up having a heart stent placement, his LAD/descending artery was 90% blocked (if he had a heart attack it would have been really bad it is also known as the widow maker) he decided then and there to quit and he never looked back he stopped on the spot. I smoked for the next two weeks than decided I was done I did not want to smoke around him plus I did not want to smoke outside in the cold lol. It was time. I never regretted it and I still dont! 

At my yearly check up in April of 2013 my cholesterol test was excellent my triglycerides are down to 87 the doctor said they were frame-able I do believe I impressed him and I did it without statins also. right now I am still 160lbs havent broke through the 160 plateau but I am healthy so that is what matters. Oh yeah I discovered that I love running and that I love it outside when it is kinda chilly out who would thought that.

Bottom line you can quit everyone can. Do whatever you need to. Like NIKE said Just do it!!! lol

• Like 9

Lisa!  Love it!  You are such an inspiration and living proof that anyone can not only quit smoking...but go one step further for a complete lifestyle makeover. In fact, adding exercise and healthy eating makes the quit easier.  Bravo girl!!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

bumping for newbies

as cpk suggested.....she wants to hear from old phartes some substantial posts.   Truth is.....most of us already had posted plenty already..but for us we feel like we are repeating ourselves after a while.  So...here's a bump

great post Lisa

• Like 2

Thanks. I think I read this one. But it's a great reread.

Old phartes could post from new perspective of where they are now.

Anyway, Babs, you always post great stuff...then there is Marti...

and Markus, and Tracey. Ava does the short and sweet "food

for thought" which is always great. Bumping is good, too. Markus does that.

I think another good way is to pose a question. Surely old phartes haven't

posted all the questions in this world. Some I'd like to hear about:

1) What was the hardest month in your quit, and why?

2) What was the best month in your quit, and why?

3) Did certain foods increase thoughts about smoking?

4) Did you experience anxiety that you thought was related

to not smoking? How did you handle it?

5) How long did it take you to lose pounds gained while quitting?

6) Did your sleep patterns change after you quit smoking?

7) At what month did you 100% feel you were forever done with smoking?

8) What worked best in the early months that you still do?

9) Did you experience depression you thought was related

to not smoking? How did you handle it?

10) If over a year quit, why do you continue to visit and post on QT?

11) When was the last time you had a smoking dream/smokes dream?

12) What is the very best thing that has happened to you since

doing the sticky quit?

• Like 1