Using Dreams

Kristin

I know dreaming about using is a normal step in any addicts recovery, but it sure is unsettling.

Last night I dreamed of taking a puff. I immediately felt bad and didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to start back at day 1. I cried. Then my husband showed up and he was smoking too, so I had a whole one of his and still didn't want to admit it or start over.

I woke up at that point and was SOOOO relieved to find myself laying in bed still two weeks smoke free!

• Like 9

Smoking dreams are the worst!  I've only had a couple and they rattled the hell out of me.  One thing you could take from the dream is how awful it felt to give up your hard won quit and never, ever do that in your waking hours.  xx  You are doing wonderfully Kristin.  I am so proud of you and your 2 weeks free.  xx

I can definitely relate.  I had a smoking dream a few months ago and it was so real that I was reading the forum here for a few minutes before that feeling that I smoked finally left.  It wasn't until my strong cup of perfectly brewed coffee sparked me back to life that I knew all was well and so was my quit.  :)

Dreams can be so real and smoking dreams are no different but have powerful effect on us because we place such high importance and have much pride in our quits.

Dreams Of Smoking

This video discusses the common experience of dreaming about smoking after quitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_gZx_6hq0I

Related article:
The smoking dream
http://www.ffn.yuku.com/topic/12468

• Like 1

I agree Jenny I experienced the emotional impact of relapse without actually doing it, and the feeling of relief to find it was only a dream was immense. That's reality right there, any other feelings I have are just habitual craves and junkie thinking.

• Like 4

Aren't they just the worst?! But doesn't it feel oh so good to have that relief when you realise that it was just a dream! I hardly have them now, but it seems very common for people to get these dreams, especially early on in the quit...

• Like 1

Oh Kristin they suck so horribly don't they. I remember one that I had in the beginning of my quit that was similar to yours and it felt so real. I felt so horrible about throwing away my quit that I was crying. I woke up crying and then when I realized that it was all a dream and my quit was intact I was elated. 

• Like 1

Wow, yes I completely felt the same. However, I always think they serve a purpose in a way, that we can take away we always felt bad for smoking. I think it really says something that every one of us always feels relief when we wake and the quit is secure. I still get the odd one.  Guess our brain is still working over time to alert us and correct our thinking. They are rubbish though so I feel for you Kristin.

• Like 1

You know, in this and all my previous quits I have never had a smoking dream ... and I'm on day 4 again ... I'm not sure what my point is here ... are the two related?  Maybe if I'd had the dream, felt the relief, I'd be further along?  Who knows!  Probably not ...

I have never had a smoking dream either, Wendy,

and while not experiencing a fabulous rush of relief that it was 'merely a dream',

I have moments of immense relief when I take in a Big Clean Breath.  

Why, just the other day writing my status update,

"I just had a big deep breath and an overwhelming sigh of relief leapt out"

• Like 3