Group Discussion WK/45-Hey, you smoked for 42 years! Why on earth would you think you can get past the addiction in a couple of months? Cut yourself a

As a smoker for 38 years I appreciate this thread because I struggle and struggle and relapse and relapse, then find myself wondering why others are able to stay quit and why I give in to the junkie thinking and make the choice to smoke again ("just one last pack because ABC") over and over and over again, fully aware of what I'm doing but "feeling" powerless to stop (note I am aware I'm "feeling" powerless, not truly powerless in reality) Please don't read into this post as giving myself an excuse to relapse. Thats not what I mean. I mean, I am trying not to kick myself in the head everytime I relapse, but to stay aware of the fact that when you smoke for as long as some of us have smoked, its going to be hard, its going to be tough and instead of hating on ourselves and criticizing ourselves (that will lead to giving up trying) its better to acknowledge that its going to continue to be hard and that its time to try something different...take suggestions...try new things to avoid giving in. I need to shake up this quit. I'm tired of coming in here with a new quit over and over again. Its embarrassing and humbling for sure.

YES!!!! @Sazerac Building up my knowledge and whatever else as my ammunition to fight this crazy addiction!!!!LOL

I say it like that because it has snuck up behind me when I least expected it and I had to fight for my life (not literally) but everything was on the line and I had to go in my bag of goody's (everything I learned here!) and fight that addiction like a soldier in war!!!!! Needless to say the addiction lost and I WON!!!!!

To all my fellow ASHKICKERS;  keep fighting the good fight!! It is SO WORTH IT

• Like 5

@QueenB, you are young in your quit and must treat it as a priceless jewel.  Protect it with your life.

All sorts of craves and triggers will appear during your first year, that is just the way it is.

Be prepared, some will pop in out of the blue.

Every receptor in your brain will fire off, one at a time, screaming 'gimme a smoke !'

When you change up your response and replace this scream with a reward instead of a smoke, you WIN.

You reclaim your brain and that receptor will no longer rely on nicotine.

It's pretty cool how our brain will heal itself.

This is why rewards are so important.

Your receptors are used to nicotine signalling a reward of dopamine,

soon they will give you a reward for looking at beauty or listening to music or dancing around, so happy to be nicotine free.

You are doing great ! Continue educating yourself...knowledge is power.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MichelleDoesntSmokeAnymore said:

As a smoker for 38 years I appreciate this thread because I struggle and struggle and relapse and relapse, then find myself wondering why others are able to stay quit and why I give in to the junkie thinking and make the choice to smoke again ("just one last pack because ABC") over and over and over again, fully aware of what I'm doing but "feeling" powerless to stop (note I am aware I'm "feeling" powerless, not truly powerless in reality) Please don't read into this post as giving myself an excuse to relapse. Thats not what I mean. I mean, I am trying not to kick myself in the head everytime I relapse, but to stay aware of the fact that when you smoke for as long as some of us have smoked, its going to be hard, its going to be tough and instead of hating on ourselves and criticizing ourselves (that will lead to giving up trying) its better to acknowledge that its going to continue to be hard and that its time to try something different...take suggestions...try new things to avoid giving in. I need to shake up this quit. I'm tired of coming in here with a new quit over and over again. Its embarrassing and humbling for sure.

Michelle there is only one rule to a successful quit ....

Take smoking off the table ....Never stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it ...

You have to fight the craves...not give into them....

This is how many of us have done it ....

I smoked 52 years...it wasn't easy at first ...but I stuck to the rule ...

Day by day...Hour by Hour...or minute by minute ...

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MichelleDoesntSmokeAnymore said:

when you smoke for as long as some of us have smoked, its going to be hard, its going to be tough and instead of hating on ourselves and criticizing ourselves

Michelle, I smoked for 42 years.  The hating and disrespecting myself came the longer that I smoked.  I was embarrassed and ashamed that I could not quit.  I never thought I had the power to do so.  The power is within you and the support is here.  You need to be willing to embrace that fact that you will not smoke again and reach out when you think you will.  

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

bump

Darlings,

Quitting smoking is a marathon not a sprint.  Enjoy the ride.  Find joy in every moment of freedom.

You will learn skills you never even knew you had and experience a profound trust in yourself having stopped feeding your addiction to nicotine.

Let Time be your ally.