Weather Geekdom

Sazerac

Thanks to the invention of The Internet
and my experience with Hurricanes,
I have turned into a sort of Weather Geek.

Any other weather nerds out there?

I usually start my mornings out with Cafe, Y'all and these

National Hurricane Center

National Weather Service 

Space Science Engineering Center from The University of Wisconsin.

World Weather Map from Weather Underground

This blog from Dr. Jeff Masters is good but, the 'comments' are VERY informative

I would like a more Worldly...blog.  Masters is good,  if a bit USA-centric.

Can anyone turn me on to sites for Europe, Asia and Australia/NZ  ?

and also, would y'all check in when Tornadoes, Floods, Hurricanes, Nor'Easters, Snomageddeons etc

happen in your neighborhood if possible ?  I worry so.

Love,

S

• Like 4

No exciting weather here... It's either raining or it isn't... Lol

Tasha loves storms - she watches a lot of program's about tornados and hurricanes from mover your side of the pond... Very interesting, and freighting at the se time...!

• Like 2

No exciting weather here... It's either raining or it isn't... Lol

Tasha loves storms - she watches a lot of program's about tornados and hurricanes from mover your side of the pond... Very interesting, and freighting at the se time...!

haha, was about to say, England - raining or ooo excitement, not raining! Nowt exciting really. If we get a teensy bit of snow everything closes lol, schools, trains etc all go nope, can't cope. So if it forecasts snow we all get excited and start talking of snow days because it means an impromptu day off :)

I love thunderstorms but always forget about the tv (constant kids programs on mine) so don't watch many programs about it. Very rare to get a weather situation of note in Europe which might be why no sites are dedicated to it, be a bit dull.

x

• Like 2

England's weather.....let's see.....oh ya crap.........

When nicky visits ,she says that the first thing she notices....everything is nice and green.....

Trains shut down here if thier are too many leaves on the track.....

Thunder and lightening....noooo mammys been scared since a kid.....hiding in a cupboard.....

• Like 1

He does. He has nothing but weather and NASA apps on his ipod because that is his love. He emailed NASA... They responded, he was over the moon.

Wow DD that's pretty cool....well done n.a.s.a......

They all had to start somewhere.....good for him.....

• 3 years later...

On 10/5/2014 at 6:07 PM, Sazerac said:

Thanks to the invention of The Internet
and my experience with Hurricanes,
I have turned into a sort of Weather Geek.

Any other weather nerds out there?

I usually start my mornings out with Cafe, Y'all and these

National Hurricane Center

National Weather Service 

Space Science Engineering Center from The University of Wisconsin.

World Weather Map from Weather Underground

This blog from Dr. Jeff Masters is good but, the 'comments' are VERY informative

I would like a more Worldly...blog.  Masters is good,  if a bit USA-centric.

Can anyone turn me on to sites for Europe, Asia and Australia/NZ  ?

and also, would y'all check in when Tornadoes, Floods, Hurricanes, Nor'Easters, Snomageddeons etc

happen in your neighborhood if possible ?  I worry so.

Love,

S

Any weather geeks in our new crop of quitters ?  

• Like 1

Not sure what it takes to be a weather "geek" but sometimes i tend to obsess about the weather.

Or maybe on really hot or cold days, check weather for other parts of the world or nation.

At the moment it is about 70 where i am and 70 BELOW in Vostok Antarctica.

3 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Any weather geeks in our new crop of quitters ?  

I probably qualify.  I follow the weather pretty closely and am fascinated by thunderstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes...

...unless they are coming towards my house and living in North Carolina, that is always a possibility.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

I probably qualify.  I follow the weather pretty closely and am fascinated by thunderstorms, tornadoes and hurricanes...

...unless they are coming towards my house and living in North Carolina, that is always a possibility.

Hey johnny5,  any cool sites that I should know about ?

Is   this  disturbance likely to be in your neighborhood ?  It's starting so warm and dropping 20 degrees, always a dangerous combination.

4 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Hey johnny5,  any cool sites that I should know about ?

Is   this  disturbance likely to be in your neighborhood ?  It's starting so warm and dropping 20 degrees, always a dangerous combination.

That storm is supposed to be arriving in my area late tomorrow evening, around 8 or 9.  They are calling for torrential rain and heavy wind through most of the night.  There is also supposed to be a significant temperature drop.  It could be pretty bad.

The site I use most is Weather Underground and I see that you have it on your list.  I also use a local network, WRAL, that has above average weather coverage but it is mainly for the eastern North Carolina area.  I used to really like The Weather Channel but it has really gone downhill over the last few years.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

That storm is supposed to be arriving in my area late tomorrow evening, around 8 or 9.  They are calling for torrential rain and heavy wind through most of the night.  There is also supposed to be a significant temperature drop.  It could be pretty bad.

I'm assuming that's the same front moving through here tonight.  We're about 2-3 hours from getting the brunt of it.  Sky looks a bit ominous and the winds are picking up.

Hunker down Johnny!

• Like 3

this blog today,  (scroll down to the comment section)

on weather underground has current posts and good info, there is a lot going on in CONUS and Canada today.

I have a few more hours of the storm, it's been ok here (NOLA), plenty of rain,

and a few scary moments of rapid pressure drop, weird light, confused sky which blew on through.  Good luck tonight/tomorrow y'all.

When hurricane season kicks in, I am glued to the blog on WU and I love Levi Cowan and his Tropical Tidbits site.

He will do a daily video with a calm, competent voice when things start to get interesting, tropically speaking.

I checked out your local channel, johnny...it is really GOOD.  I wish ours was as informative.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

I tend to keep a bigger eye in it during summer but the BOM (beauro of meterology) website is great for seeing what's happening... Its got some good interactive features and reports and warnings. We don't really get tornadis but we to get cyclones and droughts and floods and hail storms with tennis ball sized hail.

www.bom.gov.au 

My radar is down thus month for maintenance but all the others are good... If your into stats and trends its all there too.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Boo said:

I'm assuming that's the same front moving through here tonight.  We're about 2-3 hours from getting the brunt of it.  Sky looks a bit ominous and the winds are picking up.

Much ado about a bit of rain.  That front did produce some severe weather west of here, but by the time it reached East Tennessee it was just a rainmaker.  We didn't even get any strong winds out of it.

Call off the search and rescue team.  It's just a lazy, rainy Sunday morning here.

• Like 1