Home Remedies for colds and such...

Colleen

Gargle with VERY warm...hot SALT water.  OFTEN

Gargle with VERY warm, hot SALT water and Cayenne.  OFTEN

A STRONG Tea of many many Thin slices of ginger and honey in HOT water.

Oregano or Sage Tea with honey.

Just honey. honey & cayenne.  honey & garlic

TONS of garlic.

No Dairy.  :( No cheese.

Tiger Balm

Hot hot shower

A vaporizer.

A hot Epsom Salt bath

I just found THIS   info from the Blue Ridge School of Herbal Medicine

• Like 2

What Sally said :)  Ginger is really good. I often sub that for cinnamon in this receipe:

1/2 cup dried elderberries

3 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves

All in a pot, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 mins. Strain, as it's cooling add some honey. Keeps in the fridge for 3 months, take a spoonful or swig 3/4 times a day alongside other medicines.

Cloves are kinda herbs, assuming you get them there as honey, slice of lemon with 2 cloves pressed into it with a shot of scotch is a good pre bed "hot toddy".

Echinacea root is great for colds too as it shortens the time of the symptom (rather then improve it at the time, it shaves a day or two off it), tablet form is better, the actual root tastes rank!!

Chamomile and mint also have properties that would sooth the throat. But actually any warm fluids are as good. It thins the mucas which the body is trying to expel. Steaming in a shower room/bathroom can help ease nasal passages in a natural way too.

Eucalyptus is a great one for clearing your head too. But you can't take it, just wrap the leaves and put under your pillow.

To infuse any herb simply put dried or real herbs in a cup of hot water and let it sit for about 2/3 mins, then strain, Iuse the kids old muslin cloths as I can never find the strainer :) 

Feel better soon. x
  • Like 1

...To infuse any herb simply put dried or real herbs in a cup of hot water and let it sit for about 2/3 mins, then strain, I use the kids old muslin cloths as I can never find the strainer :)

Feel better soon. x

The bit about the muslin cloths is how you know that this is a REAL home remedy! You would never find that in a medical or even an herbalist's prescription. It's a homey slice of life that we can all identify with. Thanks for keeping it real, Marti,  :D

• Like 2

The bit about the muslin cloths is how you know that this is a REAL home remedy! You would never find that in a medical or even an herbalist's prescription. It's a homey slice of life that we can all identify with. Thanks for keeping it real, Marti,  :D

I also use them to run the home made wine through...that would help Colleen :)

• Like 1

Horehound, Marshmallow, elderberry tea. Buy the dried herbs and keep them handy for the winter gunk. Doesn't cure a cold, but shaves off about 50 percent of the downtime. Splash of honey and lemon works well in it for sweet and kick. also medicinal. Feel better soon.

• Like 1

I swear by Yogi products. They have a whole line of teas for colds. This is the link:

http://www.yogiproducts.com/discover-your-perfect-tea/#s2=Cold%20Season%20Support&t=1276

You can find them in regular stores, or stores for organic/vegan products, or Amazon...they´re quite easy to find and you can drink them with honey. Propoleum is also great, I take it in drops, you can find in naturist stores.

Hope you get better soon

-Nat

• Like 1

All the stuff I use is available in a normal food type shop in england. Cloves or cinnamon sticks are normally with the herbs. I do have to order elderberries (frozen) normally as shops don't often carry them, bit old fashioned. Health shops often have ready made tea bags for things. But I normally just buy fresh or dried. Ie ginger, I'd just grate it into a cup of boiling water, add whatever else I wanted, like some sage and honey and lemon etc and then just strain after a couple of minutes. For cloves, they are a bit more slow release and have a slightly sharper side (kinda ball shaped) so I normally cut a thick slice of lemon and push them into it and leave that in the cup as I drink. x

• Like 1

Horehound, Marshmallow, elderberry tea. Buy the dried herbs and keep them handy for the winter gunk. Doesn't cure a cold, but shaves off about 50 percent of the downtime. Splash of honey and lemon works well in it for sweet and kick. also medicinal. Feel better soon.

Isn't that what turned George Costanza purple? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdAM3qmrao

• Like 1

The old standby of lemon juice, honey and hot water just isn't cutting it.  Too acidic.  Suggestions?

That is only 80 % of the recipe - you need to add 1 or 2 shots of whiskey or brandy - take it with a decongestant and next day you will feel so much better.

Also, even though is may be gross Neti Pots work good in conjuction with it.

• Like 3

That is only 80 % of the recipe - you need to add 1 or 2 shots of whiskey or brandy - take it with a decongestant and next day you will feel so much better.

Also, even though is may be gross Neti Pots work good in conjuction with it.

Yep, been using my netti pot religiously and it's not gross, well maybe it is but it always feels good.  The Whiskey, I am going to try, might just be the missing link, thanks!

• Like 3

Thanks all..Where do you buy those ingredients, not in the grocery store?

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/category/bulk-herbs/

I grow mine. Plant an elderberry bush outside in the backyard. Needs no attention. Horehound and Marshmallow are both perennial herbs that require no attention and all come up every year. Love herbs. Very difficult to kill them. Plant once and you are good for many years! Just pick berries when they are purple and dry them, and cut herbs end of summer and hang up and brew tea when needed. They look cool hanging in your kitchen, too. lol!

• Like 1

Well, I just had one with Whiskey, think I'll have another...strangely enough it's dulling some of the pain in my head and face :)

Just saw this -LOL  I am glad it worked out for you!! And yes Neti Pot gross but definitely works.

http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/category/bulk-herbs/

I grow mine. Plant an elderberry bush outside in the backyard. Needs no attention. Horehound and Marshmallow are both perennial herbs that require no attention and all come up every year. Love herbs. Very difficult to kill them. Plant once and you are good for many years! Just pick berries when they are purple and dry them, and cut herbs end of summer and hang up and brew tea when needed. They look cool hanging in your kitchen, too. lol!

Hi AIne,

Do you remember how long your elder tree took to bear fruit. I bought a 2 year old one last year. Spent the summer as a collection of sticks. This year two sets of berries but that's less than half a cup and a rubbish haul. So was curious how many years old your elder tree was before it was worthwhile if you remember?