Things really are not good

laura

I went out the weekend and got drunk and smoked then been hungover all weekend and had a few smokes. I just seem to find quitting smoking impossible i start of really well then something clicks in my head and fks it up.

No one knows i have smoked my kids and husband would be so disappointed but not as bad as i feel right now. I should of done an sos straight away but i was so drunk :-(

Laura... My one piece of advice to you right now is - stay away from the drink while in the early stages of your quit.  It is NOT impossible to quit, but it is made much harder if you are intoxicated, which can affect your decision making abilities.

Are you quit again, now?

• Like 5

This can be an easy fix, Laura.

Stop drinking for a while.

Drink deep from the well of N O P E.

NOPE

NOPE 

NOPE.

Remember how rotten and horrible low down terrible you feel today and remember it well !

The memory will remind you never have to feel like this again.

NOPE

Love,

S

• Like 6

I did nothing but read the quit info and watch Joel videos for most of the first week. Looking back, making the quit paramount to everything else made it easy to see that lighting up the first one made the quit a total loss.

But, many here have said when you shitcan one quit you can make a new one that isn't tainted by the former. New quit, new life. Go for it.

• Like 9

Aww Laura.

Alcohol has ruined many a good quit....logical thinking goes out the window when you are intoxicated....

For many the best way forward was to,stay away from it for a while.....

At least until you feel,stronger.....

Put it behind you....move forward.....learn by it.....

You can do it......

• Like 6

Nobody knows you and your parameters better than you.

Make your quit your #1 right now... it is the most important thing.

If you think you could fcuk up your quit because of something you are going to do... don't do it.

You are in control...only you.

Get back in the game.

• Like 7

Jump right back on the quit train.  Decide to never smoke again, no matter what.  Don't let drinking be an excuse.  Yes, many quits have been lost due to drinking, but you still made the choice to smoke.  And intoxicated or not, you can also make the choice not to smoke.  

• Like 8

Hi Laura

No 1 quitting smoking is not impossible for you or anyone  :P

No 2 drinking can make you lose your control  :wacko:

I knew it was a huge stumbling block for me so I did not drink until I could trust myself, I dipped my toe in and after a few weeks just drank a little at home, then a little more and then when I felt comfortable one day I got completely sloshed all by myself :) and bit the bullet

other just face it head on from the start~ whatever works for you

Its still an area for me that is hard but with a plan and knowledge I/you can overcome it

like: escape if too hard

drink lots of water and stop drinking if becoming too hard

go for a walk

do not drink until stronger

The quit has to be No1 priority whatever it takes 

Its only temporary, you don`t have to live like a nun for the rest of your life ;)

I drink as much now as I ever did, maybe more but I am not telling  B)

bet your hangover was horrid  :spining_stars:  :bad:

Now Miss Laura you just jump right back on board :)

• Like 3

I'm so angry with myself I can't understand why once I have got the craving in my head there is no sorting it out. What's worse is I knew I shouldn't of gone out and I could of avoided this. I will do this!!!

listen to your instincts and you have learned something from this 

We know you can do this and you have to keep reminding yourself of that every single day

its all about the mind set, what you tell your brain is what its going to react to

even if its a lie keep tricking it - if you are craving tell the beggar to get lost you do not want it!!

keep telling it

Mind over matter :)

• Like 2

Yes ,you can do it...

Read all,you can ,educate yourself.....know your enemy....

We have a saying here....never stick anything in your mouth and set fire to it...

Once my brain took this on board...I understood what n.o.p.e meant....

No matter what is going on.....don't smoke.....

• Like 2

For me - 

1. I am an addict

2. Rational consideration allows only one conclusion. Smoking kills.

3. I Quit

4. Drinking CAN undermine rational consideration

5. Being a little careful with drinking ensured rational consideration won

6. I am still quit

Laura - you had a practice quit. It happens.

Reading your last post made me think that you are self-aware enough to realise that it wasn't just the drink that led you to smoke. Maybe I am reading too much into your words - if so, I apologise.

The truth is relapse is ALWAYS a choice. It is ALWAYS a deliberate act. The beer/wine/vodka did not put a smoke in your mouth and light it.

Your addiction tells you that you are "giving something up". You are not. Cigarettes were crap, are crap and always will be crap. Only when you believe that - go get drunk. Until then be careful.

Get back on the train Laura - there is no shame on making a boo-boo, only in quitting on quitting. You can absolutely do this.

• Like 5

I have spoke to my husband about this I can't keep it from him. he is a non smoker but he understands my frustration.

my aim is to get up tomorrow do my yoga for 45mins meditate for 20mins then read something on addiction before heading to work and forget the weekend.

You guys are fab I really wasn't going to come back to the site as I was very ashamed but I'm so glad I did.

• Like 6

Laura, while I agree that alcohol lowers inhibitions and promotes relapses, your problem is not just alcohol. You were saying just last week that you didn't think you could stick this quit. So you have had several issues going on. 

1. I think it would be most helpful if you read the thread called "Pre Respond to Your Own SOS" here http://www.quittrain.com/topic/259-pre-respond-to-your-own-sos/ That should give you a lot of ammunition about what to say to yourself when you're thinking of smoking.

2. Write your own Pre-Response to an SOS message. Think about how you felt just before you chose to smoke and how you feel now and talk to yourself honestly and forcefully about keeping your quit.

3. You have quit a couple of times now. Many people do. By now you know that the cravings, while uncomfortable, will not kill you. You CAN survive them. The problem is that you get impatient with them. So I suggest you read the new thread about how people handled their first days without nicotine ( http://www.quittrain.com/topic/2747-your-first-days-nicotine-free/ ). Lots of great ideas there. 

You have been torturing yourself with quitting and relapsing long enough. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get through this! For sure, you must NOT drink for at least the first month of your quit. You know that alcohol will undermine you. And think about and prepare for how to quit and how to keep your quit by reading the posts I suggested. You have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. If you do, the posts, articles and videos here will get you through.

I have spoke to my husband about this I can't keep it from him. he is a non smoker but he understands my frustration.

my aim is to get up tomorrow do my yoga for 45mins meditate for 20mins then read something on addiction before heading to work and forget the weekend.

You guys are fab I really wasn't going to come back to the site as I was very ashamed but I'm so glad I did.

That's the fighting spirit you need!

Please, you are always welcome here - it sounds like you beat yourself up enough already - no need for is to add to that - no judgements, we only want to help you ((Laura))

• Like 2

Well done ,

You have a plan...that's good.....excersize is great ....

Don't forget your treats too...little rewards for doing so well,it doesn't matter what is is as long as its a well done Laura.

One day at a time ....

We have our daily pledge....it a promise to yourself you won't smoke that day.....

These might only be little things but they do help......

• Like 3

I have done my sos to myself and i will be back in the morning to do my daily pledge i will no drink any alcohol until i know in my heart of hearts i can do it with confidence. Thanks for all the advice i am truly grateful. I am also going to listen to my Allen carr audio but not smoke whilst listening to it. I can do this!!!

• Like 8

i have done many dumb things when I have been drunk. In fact, sometimes I have gotten drunk to do dumb things. In the beginning I think it's good not to tempt yourself with drinking. I have read that a substantial percentage of failed quits involve drinking. I waited about two months to drink at a party. I had that night two drinks, not much, just to make sure I did not turn into a lunatic needing a cig.

Give your quit the good environment it needs to grow strong. You can drink later. Maybe if you just quit today, you could wait and celebrate with a drink on Christmas.

• Like 1