Queen Greenlover (Beth) Has A New Role...

MarylandQuitter

What a wonderful idea.  Beth is the perfect choice. 

As far as Ladybug's concerns, I would have been much more receptive to your thoughts had you sent a PM to Marylandquitter out of concern...rather than making a post as an effort to give a public spanking.  If that isn't enough, you continue with back handed remarks about how none of your bloggers want to post here.  I can't help but wonder what they think of you, after seeing you doing the very things that would make a person not want to post, because....you really aren't being very nice.   Not sure why to be honest.  Be the change you want to see in the world.  :)

As a member, I give both MQ and Beth permission to email me personally if i ever just disappeared from here.  It means they care enough ...to help me save my life. I can't even find a problem with that.  Sorry..i can't.

I could always get a new email address.  Small price to pay for good health.

Bravo on the post MQ!

• Like 6

I'm glad I was asked to do something more. Looking up lost souls & relaying their names so a email saying "Hey we miss you" just might be that little personal touch to get them to return & better still Quit Again. After ALL those of us who are free know how hard or tiring it can be & while some "quit sites" are more concerned with the THOUSANDS ON THEIR MEMBER LIST-This is NOT the goal of this quit site. MQ invented & paid for this site not only as a refuge for those kicked to the curb from QSMB site but as a way to show just like with our quits NOT every site is alike. We need to reach out to those who aren't here, after all if that person doesn't give a "rat's @ss" they will ignore it but just maybe it  will be the nudge some need to return. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

• Like 16

This is a much needed part of our forum, that you don't see at other quit sites.  Another awesome feature that sets us apart from the rest.  Beth will be great at it, I know.

If there are any privacy concerns, change your settings or pm MQ.  Posting publicly about it will only bring attention to yourself, kind of defeats the purpose of privacy IMO.  

• Like 4

Well done to MQ and Beth, I think this is a fantastic idea, sometimes when we relapse all we need is just a small reminder that someone somewhere cares enough to ask after us, I suppose the issue of privacy can be cleared with each member upon joining, they could be advised that they would receive an email from us enquiring after them should they be absent from the QT for a small amount of time, and given the option to even opt out if they want, I would think that most members would welcome this, and I wouldn't think it would cause any offence at all or any invasion of privacy, I mean look at all the spam mail we get!! Me for one am jumping up and down and shouting out loud, YEP good idea guys, if you need any help I will gladly be of assistance to MQ and Beth xxx

• Like 6

Beth is a perfect choice!   Love this!   I can't wait for our staff Christmas Party!   LMAO 

My goodness, we worry far to much about if someone will be offended if we do or say something that I think we, as a society, miss some great opportunities.   It's not as if the email will be unkind.    Most sites reach out to you via email and like MQ said, it is generally just automated and lacks the personal touch.  That's what I love about this site!  It sets us apart.  There is no one size fits all.

That said, I wish I had the time to be offended by getting an email!   LOL---with the kids back in school and activities I hardly get 6 hours of sleep in a row! 

I'll use that as my guide.  If I get an email from a website I joined and I get really upset about it....I'll know I need to get a hobby!

• Like 8

Yep...

I think we pretty much beat this one to its end!!!

Back to the original topic.....

Great Idea.... and I applaud the choice of G.L. !!!!

No matter what you do (WE DO) there are going to be members that join and disappear rapidly. But if reaching out by a personalized email form the owner of this site gets even a small percentage of them to return and follow through with their quits... well It is perfect!!!

Keep doing what you do here!!!

and Thanks!!

• Like 5

I remember when I was on another site I could not get into my account for months and it drove me bonkers, I wanted to get in touch with action soo bad but I couldn't get into the site so if someone had emailed me I could have told them and I wouldn't be months locked out, It would have been perfect so you go save them Beth and MQ ;)

If someone does not want to be contacted surely they will just ignore the email the recieve,

No need for nit picking, oh and the eventually help someone quit comment was extremely out of order and very hurtful to us all LB, we all spend alot of our time helping people quit and what you said was disgraceful, I really think you owe everyone an apology for saying that, imagine we said the same about you??

• Like 5

Hi Beth, don't think I've "met" you before, did you just join, Or come from another site?

I'm Sue nice to meet you xxx

Ps you should introduce yourself so everyone can get to know you if they don't already x

Hi Sue and everyone else :)

I am from another site.

I will write an intro :)

• Like 6

I have the same sort of "asshole" gene as ladybug, heh heh, so I can see where she is coming from. The positive aspects of what she said are of value - making a concerted effort to be only open and welcoming; she is dead right about people's propensity for reading into "hiya hows ya doin c'mon back" a certain amount of harrange and nag however benign the intention was.

But! An email from the quit train "team" members isn't a 3rd party comunication.

I would add a line in the email  saying "to not hear from us again just reply to the email with remove me in the subject line, thank you."

Had a guy I was doing business with today say he was 24 hrs into quitting smoking. I gave him our website url and said c'mon in it really helped me. Granted, the high drama in my first month with the qsmb blowout was candy to my conflict junkie baby but in the long term the security of this board and all its people is behind the scene strength to get through the rough spots.

Hope the new guy is here!

• Like 1

I'm new here today! I have read through this whole thread and just want to say had someone, anyone cared enough to send me an e-mail when I disappeared from my old quit smoking forum, it might have made a difference to me. It MIGHT have helped me, and it CERTAINLY wouldn't have hurt me. But that didn't happen there, and I THREW AWAY a SIX YEAR quit:(  This new quit of mine is 16 days old! I've attempted to quit for about 15 years. I think this is an excellent idea. And thank you GL for taking on this huge responsiblity! I'm glad I found this site!

• Like 7

KLJ

Congratulations on your 16 days of Freedom !

that is a beautiful accomplishment.

Please, if you would, start a thread for yourself

here    http://www.quittrain.com/forum/3-introductions-about-us/

so we all can get to know you better and help in any way we can.

Welcome !

Love,

S

• Like 1