CVS...

Nancy

I was just looking at the CVS website regarding their smoking cessation program, and was surprised at what I saw...they have you fill in a few blanks and then they rank your dependence on nicotine from 1 to 10.  This is what they have to say about Cold Turkey:

Quitting Cold Turkey Isn't Recommended

Less than 5% of the 13 million smokers trying to quit each year will succeed. That's because your body physically craves nicotine. The cravings begin when your brain stops getting nicotine. And when your brain wants nicotine, it's hard to tell it no. It's for this reason that quitting "cold turkey" is often unsuccessful.

According to one study, over 95% of "cold turkey" quitters start smoking again within 6-12 months. The most widely used method of quitting smoking is also the most misunderstood. Going it alone, or trying to quit smoking "cold turkey," means relying solely on your willpower to quit. Because nicotine is so addictive, people often underestimate how difficult it is to resist cravings simply using willpower.

That's where nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products, like Nicorette Gum, Nicorette Lozenge, and the NicoDerm CQ Patch can help. NRT products can ease your body safely off of nicotine by releasing controlled amounts of nicotine slowly, when used as directed. This allows you to focus on staying smoke-free without burning out your willpower.

This material is paid for and provided by GSK Consumer Healthcare.

And, needless to say, GSK is the company that manufactures Nicorette gum, lozenges, Nicoderm patches.  Not really sure how I feel about this...bud did find it interesting...

• Like 6

That is why I said this in a previous thread. 

I used to work in the pharmacy at CVS... I have stories. I am glad that they are no longer selling cigarettes but I am positive that their intentions aren't as noble as they are making it out to be.
  • Like 6

wow, NancyWhy does this surprise me.  Well, no surprise.  Damn.  

I had a feeling it wasn't as hard to quit smoking as it was tauted to be,

We sure get set up and not just by the addiction.

Think I'll take my brain for a wash.

I wonder what the success rate is for QTrain.

May it get stronger and stronger.

• Like 3

I know there is more to it because of my position there. 

I know what my (and a bunch of stores in my district) made when it came to tobacco sales. It wasn't much. I am positive that the number that they whipped out with when they said "Oh we are giving up $XXXXXXXX in tobacco sales because we want to be healthy" is bullshit. They probably made a deal with GSK to push NRT  being that their front end tobacco sales weren't all that much. 

• Like 4

I know there is more to it because of my position there. 

I know what my (and a bunch of stores in my district) made when it came to tobacco sales. It wasn't much. I am positive that the number that they whipped out with when they said "Oh we are giving up $XXXXXXXX in tobacco sales because we want to be healthy" is bullshit. They probably made a deal with GSK to push NRT  being that their front end tobacco sales weren't all that much. 

I think the same thing. CVS isn't going to just "give" up sales, without their being something in it for them. 

• Like 2

I think the same thing. CVS isn't going to just "give" up sales, without their being something in it for them. 

I am actually going to look up the patent for Chantix. I am curious as to how long it has been out. I will write out my reasoning later. 

• Like 2

I am actually going to look up the patent for Chantix. I am curious as to how long it has been out. I will write out my reasoning later. 

I was thinking about Chantix too, They are surely making a fistful of dollars on that one.  I believe it was first out around 2006. But not certain. 

I was thinking about Chantix too, They are surely making a fistful of dollars on that one.  I believe it was first out around 2006. But not certain. 

The patent for Chantix was extended and doesn't expire until 2018. 

My initial thoughts were that the patent was up soon so my theory is null, lol. :)

• Like 1

I'm not even sure how they can get away with that... In fact, I don't think that they could say that, here I'm the UK...

It's disgusting how big corporations pray on people - and it sounds like this CVS and GSK don't give a damn about anything but their bottom line. Not recommended my arse.

Also, 'NRT products can ease your body safely off of nicotine'... Safely?! So now Cold Turkey isn't only 'not recommend', but it's not 'safe'...

And 'without burning out your willpower'... Willpower is not a tangible thing - it can't be measured... so how can they make this claim?! They make it sound like NRT is magic, and will quit smoking for you.

Ugh, such BS...

• Like 2

I think NRT has helped many people...I just dislike the CVS advertising.  I did not quit Cold Turkey...to me, whatever gets you quit...good for you, but I must say every way I turn, someone is profiting from the addiction...

Lucky for us we are free!!

• Like 3

This kind of advertisment was the reason why I thought of using NRT (and used the patch for a day). I don´t think cold turkey is for everyone but it bothers me that they lie and manipulate people just for money. A lot of people quit smoking with NRT but continue addicted to the gum (nicotine!). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_mcyHH8Pw  

I´ve heard Chantix can be really dangerous, I used Zyban on my first attempt to quit and it helped. In my opinion, it´s all abut finding what works for you. 

• Like 2

This kind of advertisment was the reason why I thought of using NRT (and used the patch for a day). I don´t think cold turkey is for everyone but it bothers me that they lie and manipulate people just for money. A lot of people quit smoking with NRT but continue addicted to the gum (nicotine!).

I´ve heard Chantix can be really dangerous, I used Zyban on my first attempt to quit and it helped. In my opinion, it´s all abut finding what works for you. 

Any medicine can be dangerous! Look at all the lawsuits against big pharma.