Humour!

This quitnet post made me laugh. 

Keep the quit!

The Postman repost~~~ A MUST for your library!!
From Leslipaige on 5/27/2004 7:24:31 PM

Day One: ****.
Day One again only the next day: Have tried to kill husband twice. Decide against washing dishes as always have cigarette when done. Same for bathroom. Am suddenly thinking this has upside. Eating dried fruit, apricots, pears, and brown things that look like squished roaches, which remind me of doobie roaches, which remind me of cigarettes. Watch husband light a cigarette; look at him pitifully. Eat leftover beans from last night – that’ll show him. Walk by computer and wave occasionally. Can’t sit and write or surf as this has been main smoking area. It’s about four-o’clock now; I could have just one, I could have just one, I could have just one. That’s Mr. Nicotine. He lives with me; ‘he’ could be a chick, but frankly, right now, I don’t frigging care. Decide to play fantasy game on Playstation. Spend next three hours breeding Chocobos so game hero can save world. World doomed in my opinion.

Day two, morning: Woke up two hours earlier than usual. Great; two extra hours of fencing practice with the RJ Reynolds Company and spawn. Seriously considering finding some hallucinogens as never had desire for nicotine during a really good walk through a wall. Woke up six times during night to pee because I drank four gallons of water "to assist my system flush poison." Am feeling unusually testy as result of lack of sleep and deep-seated oral fixation fantasies. Decide to either kill or have sex with mail carrier when post arrives. Probably both.

Day 2, afternoon: See husband off to airport for business trip. Clean closets. Nothing new in mail. Did all laundry out of necessity – body of dead mail carrier would not fit in dryer otherwise. Put in extra dryer sheets (Arm and Hammer, biodegradable.) Decide to take walk. Meet neighbor who asks if mail came yet. She is smoking a cigarette. I tell her no out of spite.

Day 3, morning: Go through dead man’s mail bag; keep catalogues for joyous Christmas shopping. Feed rest down garbage disposal.

Day 3, Afternoon: Call garbage disposal repair.

Day 4: Receive visitor. Police looking for missing mail carrier – received anonymous tip from garbage disposal repair person. Make coffee and offer fat-free cookies and dried fruit. Arrange dried fruit to make smiley faces on plate. Police officer asks if I mind if he smokes. Burst in to tears. Confess.

Day 472: Sentenced to death in murder of Postal Employee. Federal crime.

Day 478: Beaten by seven large women in prison for having no cigarettes to trade. Able to sing better now; make up prison blues songs.

Day 552: Receive divorce papers: husband marrying tobacco heiress. Cell-mate offers to have ex husband whacked. Wants twelve cartons of cigarettes and one pair Doc Marten boots. Decide husband will live as price too steep.

Day 558: Secure two cartons of cigarettes for payment to cell-mate to have defense attorney whacked. Feel better.

Day 691: Served last meal – minister asks if anything wanted at last moments. Think back to how good cigarette after meals used to be. Request one last smoke. Minister reluctant, no smoking in federal building, but sneaks one in. Sit back, relax, smoke. Ahhhhh. Feel slightly dizzy, giddy, euphoric. Warden enters cell excitedly; Governor issues full pardon due to new Federal "It Takes a Village" crimes statute: allows for defense appeal of insanity by reason of severe nicotine withdrawal.

Day 1: ****.

• Haha 3

Good morning,

This quitnet gem will take about five minutes of your time to read but it is well worth it.  When we start realizing that we do not have to struggle or fight anything to get rid of nicotine/smoking addiction, then we find the real freedom that always exisisted before we started smoking.

Keep the quit!

Moving to Acceptance that Being Smoke Free is Normal

RE: Help please
From 4Derby on 12/30/2006 12:31:09 AM

Seems to be a common occurrence... Usually, somewhere between say 4 weeks and 4 months, sometimes a tad earlier, occasionally a bit later, we reach a hurdle. We've been through withdrawal. We've gotten ourselves really good at reconditioning triggers. But, something's still lingering. I've seen it described as a sense of doubt, a dread, a dark cloud. It's threatening. It's frightening.

Here's my take. And, it's based in part on the grieving process associated with giving up nicotine described in this post (Emotional Loss Experienced from Quitting Smoking), but not entirely. I believe the hurdle we reach has to do with the bridge from depression (the 4th phase of the grieving process) to acceptance (the 5th and final phase). Crossing that bridge is the final major hurdle, and many of us find ourselves with our feet stuck in the muck of depression as we struggle with what appears to be a daunting crossing.

During our pre-quit, our withdrawal, and our early trigger reconditioning, we deal with heavy doses of the first 3 stages (denial, anger, bargaining). It's not always pleasant, but it IS something we can sink our teeth into. There's something to push against. As long as we've got a tangible enemy to fight, things tend to be, if not pleasant, exciting and clear-cut. Meet your enemy head on.... defeat it with truth, and sometimes sheer stubbornness.

Then.... gradually, the struggle lessens. Comfort begins to kick in. We discover, "hey! this is doable!"

BUT...

as we sit there, face to face with the prospect of our own success:

--The tangible struggle fades. Triggers happen, but they're fewer and farther between. We know how to deal with them now, and we recognize that they're temporary. Physical withdrawal seems a distant memory. The excitement is over. It's just me and my life, and it's time to get on with it. And, nicotine isn't a part of it. Neither is "quitting" -- I DID quit. In some ways it's like the aftermath of hosting a big party. The madness of preparation, the fun of the festivities... then, everyone's gone home, and there's just clean-up to do, and work the next day.

--We ponder our success. We ponder our identity. We're on the verge of making a transition. We've been a "smoker who's quitting" for weeks, maybe months. But, now we're feeling the comfort. We know it's doable in terms of winning the battles. We've won so many.... but, now we're at the point where something is suddenly becoming very real.... our identity as an ex-smoker... Success.

This is acceptance... and for many of us, it's terrifying! In some respects, it's simply another form of junky reasoning. But, in this case, it hits where we're still most vulnerable... our identity... our self-confidence.

"I've smoked through everything. Every celebration. Every crisis. Every monotonous moment of boredom, every study session, after meals, during the drive, after shopping, after making love, at the bar, in the bathroom, at my desk, on my porch, with Jim Bob, with Sue, with my lawyer, with my doctor, after work, during breaks, at football games, at weddings. Smoking was part of my life through every difficulty, no matter how horrific, or inconsequential. I wanted to quit badly, but deep down inside, I wonder, "can I really do this forever? Can I really manage to forge a new life for myself where I do all of the things that make up my day-to-day living without that constant security blanket?"

We question a future where celebrations and defeats, excitement and boredom are experienced without the presence of the powerful drug to which we were actively addicted for years. We question our mettle. We've made it this far, and we've proven to ourselves that it's doable. But, now we're playing for keeps. This is for good. This is permanent. Can we imagine the rest of our life as an ex-smoker?

It feels particularly difficult when we're going through it for a couple of reasons.

1) we haven't had to struggle that hard lately, and it catches us unprepared.

2) the very nature of the transition -- acceptance of yourself as an ex-smoker -- is rooted in permanence. Where before, the struggles were day-to-day, this is suddenly about me vs. eternity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what to do?
The truth is that dealing with this transition is not really all that different from how we deal with all the other hurdles we've faced since we quit.

We make this transition by getting back to the fundamentals that got us to this point.

Honesty
--Was smoking really a part of my identity? Did it define, in part, who I am? Or, was smoking a way to relieve the discomfort of nicotine withdrawal every half-hour or so?

--Are my memories of smoking drifting toward the "ahh" cigarette, and neglecting all the other, mindlessly smoked ones, forced into the cold to poison myself, late-night runs to the liquor store to spend hard-earned money on a fix, staining my fingers and teeth, making me reek, giving my children scratchy throats, turning colds into bronchitis, threatening me with early death and disfigurement with every puff?

--If I smoked today, how would I truly feel tonight? Tomorrow? Next year... Ponder it for a bit. Envision yourself back on the other side of the line, looking back across it at yourself now. Picture yourself with the stick in your mouth, inhaling, knowing the full-measure of what that cigarette was doing to you. Question whether you'd rather be reminiscing about the odd "ahh" cigarette once in a while, or be reminiscing about the few weeks/months of comfort you achieved when you quit.

--Remind yourself that there is no such thing as one, and extrapolate it out over the years. Shine the light of truth on it. Have a look around at elderly smokers (the ones who've made it to old age). Put yourself in their shoes. Remember which side of the line you're on. Remind yourself why you chose this side of the line.... why you want to stay on this side.

One day at a time
Permanence is frightening. But, it's achievable in small doses. Just because you're an "experienced quitter" doesn't mean the basic principles change. Today is doable. The next hour is doable.

Never stop celebrating
Quitting smoking is a tremendous gift you've given yourself. Unlike many other gifts, this one should never lose its luster over time. In fact, the opposite is true. Over time, this gift becomes more important, more impactful..... Measure it in terms of health, self-esteem, life, freedom..... but MEASURE IT. Celebrate every day of this gift. You've earned it.

Acceptance is an Embrace
Finally, don't simply accept your new status -- "ex-smoker"; Embrace it. Sit down and look at it honestly. Compare this new identity to the old one (whatever label you want to attach to what you were when you smoked.... I was a slave). Separate yourself for a minute, and observe the 2 "yous" as an impartial 3rd party. Look them over thoroughly. Which do you want for yourself? Choose one. And, then, embrace it. Life will go on, there will be good days, and bad days. Terrible sadness, and joyous elation. Regardless what life is bringing you at the moment, embrace this thing that is only positive.

Embrace your decision for life

• Like 3

Are You Happy For The Right Reasons. A Quitnet Re-Post, February 2, 2004 

Good morning. Tomasso reminded us that we should be grateful for all the benefits we experience when we quit smoking.

NOPE!

Keep the quit. 

Your Quit - Are You Happy For The Right Reasons .....
From Tomaso on 2/24/2004 10:04:39 PM

Oh ya! I'm more than happy I quit - I am especially happy that I no longer contribute to the tobacco company’s annual sales. I'm even happier that I no longer contribute to federal, state and local government’s tax on tobacco products. Yes, I'm happy for me too. I have only one problem - I can not enjoy an increase in energy that comes with quitting and I can not enjoy the ability to breathe easier. I waited to long to quit. Had I not quit I would not be here today and so I have benefited significantly by extending my life - I wonder if anyone can truly appreciate life without having the experience of critical illness - that is knowing you will not get better and feeling your life slip away a little bit with each passing week and month. I'm really sorry I can not enjoy the freedom of having renewed energy and the ability to breathe so much better than before.

I'm not posting this for anyone to feel bad for me. I have made my choices in life and I accept the consequences of my actions. I'm posting this message for you. Yes, I want you to have what I can not. I want you to quit and stay quit. I want you to live and to help others live by helping them win their freedom from this terrible addiction before they too fall victim to the ravages of smoking.

Tomaso

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 3

Who? A Quitnet Repost, About Commitment, January 16, 2006

This post is about committment. We have all made a commitment to keep the quit. This "[a]ction has magic, grace, and power in it."

Keep the quit.

Repost: Who?
From hoarserockstar on 1/16/2006 11:14:06 PM

I was so impressed with this when I was very early in my quit that I copied it without reference to the author. I think Gummer put it up but it was a quote from someone much longer ago:

" Until one is committed there is hesitancy,
the chance to draw back,
always ineffectiveness.

Concerning all acts of initiative there is
one elementary truth,
the ignorance of which
kills countless ideas and splendid plans:

That the moment one
definitely commits oneself
then Providence
moves too.

All sorts of things occur
to help one that would otherwise
never have occurred.
A whole stream of events
issues from the decision
raising in one's favor
all manner of incidents and meetings
and material assistance
which no man would have
believed would have come.

Whatever you think you can do
or believe you can do;
begin it.
Action has magic, grace,
and power in it."

Help me out and name that author.
Andrew d 59

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 1

Don't Negotiate, Quitnet Re-Post, January 3, 2006

Good morning,

There  is no real "demon" in our heads. Just stinking junkie thinking. So let's not negotiate with that junkie stinking thinking.

Keep your quit.

don't negotiate-repost for new quitters
From terri2005 on 1/3/2006 10:04:22 AM

I don`t negotiate
From terri2005 on 12/9/2005 10:50:38 PM

The United States has a policy of not negotiating with terrorists.

And I have a similar policy. I don`t negotiate with Nico-Demons.

Its not that I don`t talk to the demon now and then. He still visits once in a while even with 562 days since his last feeding. But I don`t negotiate. We just visit briefly.

`How ya been?`

`Better without YOU! But thanks for asking!`

`How bout a little puff? I can still get some of your favorite brand.`

`Sorry demon. No can do. You see...I made this little decision this morning, that just for today, I wouldn`t take that first puff of nicotine. And I`m keeping my promise. And those are nicotine. Poison in a paper tube. Sickarettes. I`d be breaking my word. To myself. To my friends. To my family. To my friends at the Q. Go away. `

`I just stopped by because I heard about that little problem at work or home or with your health or your love life . You could use some cheering up. Just one. Nobody will know.`

`My work is wonderful. My home life is the best. My health is better than ever. And my wife loves me. Go Away...`

`Wow! Things are good. Let`s celebrate with a sickarette!`

`Maybe tomorrow. Catch me just before I wake up, ask for help, and give thanks for another great day on this wonderful planet. And for waking up smober healthy, and ALIVE! Who knows....ya might get lucky. Now go away.`

`How about a drink? I`m in good with the Alcohol-Demon and he owes me a few favors...`

`I bet. Go away. I`m going fishing.`

Listen up newbies...

A few short years ago I sat in the hospital being shot full of steroids and epinephrine just to keep me breathing another day. The x-rays showed COPD and the Dr. said the smokes were killing me. I couldn’t get up my stairs to go to bed, much less hunt and fish. But I kept negotiating with the demon, and he always won.

Today...I`m off to the high mountains of Montana for three days in the wilderness. My new lungs are a real joy on the steep hikes and 7000+` elevations. And though I`ve gained a few pounds, I feel like a million bucks. And I no longer negotiate with the demon, though we do talk now and then.

One day at a time. A conscious decision upon awakening. A simple prayer in the morning `please help me, just for today, to stay away from that first puff of nicotine.`. And in the evening, out of common courtesy, a simple `Thanks` seems to work. And above all, I don`t take that FIRST puff, one day at a time.

I won`t be here to watch you this weekend. I won`t know if you take that first puff or not. But you`ll know. And the demon will know. And if you open that door, just a crack, he`ll be in like a flash. He`s fast. And he`s cunning, baffling, and powerful. All you have to do is refuse to negotiate. When he shows up...send him packing. Tell him to come back tomorrow. And don`t take that first puff, just for today.

This is what the demon doesn`t want you to know:

If you don`t take that first puff, one day at a time, it is impossible to fail!

If you don`t take that first puff, just for today, you`ll absolutely, positively, be 100% guaranteed to go to bed as a WINNER tonight!

troutnut1

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 4

JUST FOR TODAY .... Quitnet Re-Post, February 24, 2004

Keep the quit.

Just For Today Meditation...
From LilMiss01 on 2/24/2004 8:46:26 AM
Just For Today

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be....

JUST FOR TODAY I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my LUCK as it comes and fit myself to it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it ,it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do--just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, some time, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 2

Need a little help, please... Quitnet Re-post, December 29, 2003

Good morning,

This is another quitnet gem. Keeping our quits has a lot to do with our attitude.

Keep a positive attitude.:)

RE: Need a little help, please...
From jomo1 on 2/10/2004 9:28:06 AM

Keep Your Attitude High!!!
From BilliB on 12/29/2003 5:10:05 PM

Just a few thoughts to share on how to not get totally overwhelmed during the early part of your quit. The world is filled with plenty of negative things that create pressure and stress in our lives. Our job is to focus on being positive, empowered and making decisions that will lift us up unto higher ground.

Our minds are a powerful tool. Don't let it run amuck with all kinds of negative thoughts. Be in charge of your own destiny. YES, you can do this. Keep your life simple; get rid of any extra baggage you are carrying around. In every situation look for the good. You may have to go through plenty of garbage, but the good is there........ Seek it out!!

Feeling the craves bad? Go wash your kitchen floor. Or clean your bathroom really clean. Go through your drawers, get rid of things you don't wear or use anymore. Wash your windows......... do activities that will help to clean out your environment. Don't sit and focus on how bad the cravings are ~ kick them out, by being busy doing positive things that will enhance your life.

If you feel your self slipping, pull up, just like an airplane that was going into a dive........ PULL UP YOUR ATTITUDE!! Put on some music, really loud, dance around, move, laugh at yourself. Get the energy flowing in your body again. Good energy that will fill you up with an abundance of "good feelings".

"Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it,
for that determines our success or failure.

The way you think about a fact may defeat you before you ever do
anything about it.

You are overcome by the fact because you think you are."

--Norman Vincent Peale

You are stronger then you realize. You hold your destiny in your own hands. Keep Your Attitude High!!!

~ Billi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sky.....hope this helps, jo

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 3

Good morning,

This is another gem from my quitnet library. I re-read it this morning.. I wrote at the time that "once I internalize this new awareness (that smoking had anything to do with reducing or alleviating stress) , I (would) never have this psychological desire to smoke again!!!

The only caveat is that this remains true as long as I do not have that next puff. If I smoke a cigarette. Gues what? The brain starts screaming for nicotine again.

The desire to want to smoke goes away if we do not smoke. 

Keep your quit!

I want a cigarette!
From MutinyFever on 2/16/2005 2:42:26 PM

I want a cigarette. The craving's been on me for days. I want one, and I want one now. I want to smoke it down to the filter. Huhn. Yeah. Big time addict jones.

Stress, unemployment, worries, kids, my wife's health, all are weighing me down and I want to smoke, because addicts try to change their existential circumstances by changing their body chemistry. It doesn't work of course, but that is the failed way my mind desires.

Of course, I won't smoke. I learned this lesson the hard way. I lost a quit, a very long, very successful quit, before because I believed a cigarette would help, that one cigarette was safe, that it wouldn't hurt.

Oh boy, did it ever hurt!

Michael

Saturday, January 14, 2006

From Gym_Genecanuck’s Journal

This post from Michael hit a note with me when I first read it and the message is as relevant to me today as it was back in February 2005. My old way to deal with any kind of stressful event was to run to smokes to change my body chemistry. For some reason, I had this mistaken belief that cigarettes made me feel better.

Well, I am sure that the nicotine temporarily gave my brain some stimulation and I made the mistaken connection that smoking had something to do with making me feel better and relieving the stressful feelings. 

This assumption was WRONG before and it is WRONG today!!!!

I am attempting to write a Term Paper and I always feel anxiety when I write Term Papers. I know that this mistaken belief that smoking will somehow help is just that… A MISTAKEN BELIEF.

I was WRONG to belief that smoking had any real connection to helping me feel better in any way, shape, or form.

Once I internalize this new awareness, I will never have this psychological desire to smoke again!!!

61 Days smoke free; Two months, fifteen hours smoke free

• Like 4

Quitting smoking is easy . . . Quitnet Repost, January 3, 2006.

A sobering thought.

Keep the quit.

Gene

Quitting smoking is easy . . .
From Peter_is_in on 1/3/2006 10:02:05 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quitting smoking is easy . . .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

¤ Easier than hearing your doctor say, "I’m sorry . . ."
¤ Easier than fighting cancer.
¤ Easier than laying in the hospital having radiation treatment.
¤ Easier than breathing through tubes up your nose.
¤ Easier than having a Tracheostomy.
¤ Easier than losing your vision (AMD-Age-related Macular Degeneration).
¤ Easier than COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease).

¤ Easier than lying in the hospital wishing you could feel the sun.
¤ Easier than looking out the window knowing you can't go there anymore.
¤ Easier than listening to your loved ones crying outside your hospital room.
¤ Easier than researching for hospice care.

¤ Easier than preparing for your funeral because the cancer has gone so far.
¤ Easier than picking out your favorite songs for your funeral.
¤ Easier than trying to say the right words because they will be your last.

¤ Easier than your child seeing you die from cancer.
¤ Easier than imagining your child without a Mom.
¤ Easier than imagining your child without a Dad.
¤ Easier than realizing your child may need a new Mom in the future.
¤ Easier than realizing your child may need a new Dad in the future.
¤ Easier than not seeing your child's face because of blindness.
¤ Easier than telling your child you are dying because you smoked.

¤ Easier than losing a friend . . . or a friend losing you.
¤ Easier than imagining your spouse being alone.
¤ Easier than asking your friends to look after your spouse.

¤ Easier than training your job replacement and knowing why.
¤ Easier than changing your retirement plans or canceling them.

¤ Easier than going through your photo album with tears.

¤ Easier than realizing your pet may out live you.

¤ Easier than friends talking about you in past tense.

¤ Easier than realizing smoking was more important to you than your life.
¤ Easier than thinking, "So this is it . . .?"
¤ Easier than dying . . .

Quit smoking now . . . start living life smoke free . . . addiction free . . .

Peter

_ ‹(•¿•)›
¯°°°¯¯°°°¯¯¯¯ . . . watching out for newbies
Club Breakaway
http://bc.quitnet.com/f/community/clubs/club.jtml?club_id=2945

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 3

IT GETS BETTER. Quitnet Repost, March 3, 2004. 

Good morning,

It really does get better!

Keep  your quit.

Gene

IT GETS BETTER!
From Leslipaige on 3/3/2004 8:11:31 PM
Repost - It gets better.
From melder7777 on 1/20/2004 12:52:30 PM

It really does get better guys ....and so worth the effort

maureen
day526

From Lots2learn on 3/16/2001 5:02:03 AM

How do I tell you how it feels to run up stairs out of sheer exuberance, not because you have to, not because you are exercising.

How do I tell you how it feels to have your child give you a big hug, whisper quietly in your ear, You smell so good Mommy/Daddy..

How do I tell you how it feels to sit at your child's graduation, wading through interminable speeches, so proud of their achievements. Yet after the ceremony them come to you, give you a big hug, and say I am so proud of you for quitting.

How do I tell you of the joy to be found as you fill your hands with deep dark loam, your senses filled with happy memories of childhood so strong, tears begin to fall softly.

How do I tell you of long lovers embrace, a soft whisper in ear, I am so very proud of you dear.

How do I tell you of your first orange, heady delight.

How do I tell you of your pride as you sit in the doctors office, they look up with a frown, say with a growl have you quit smoking yet? You answer YES!!

How can I tell you how it feels to spend a day with relatives or good friends, and actually spend the day with them.

How can I tell you of the sense of accomplishment, pride as you watch that special milestone arrive, think to yourself, If I can do this, I can do anything..

How can I tell you the release to be able to take a great big breathe of fresh air, and not stand coughing and gasping.

How do I tell you of the calm, the peace, and the absence of smoker's guilt.

How do I tell you how it feels to wake and realize you have not thought of smoking for a day, a week, a month.

How do I tell you the horrible physical symptoms will decrease, and fade, with time.

How do I tell you of these and so many more benefits in one small message? It gets better; the reward is worth the struggle. You may not experience any of these rewards, but you will find your own if you hang on to your quit.

My thanks to those who took the time to post the messages that these benefits came from.

Mike
400 Days
@}~~~>~~~

[

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 2

Congratulations. Quitnet Repost, January 15, 2006

Remember to stop and celebrate your quits and support others here along the way.

Keep the Quit.

Gene

Congratulations

WHO'S BETTER THAN YOU TODAY?

You've made it! A whole 2 months (or the number of hours, days in your quit) without a cigarette! In that time, you've successfully navigated the physical chaos of withdrawal, the emotional highs and lows of early quit, and the pitfalls of relapse!

Countless times you've refused the offered cigs. More times than that you've craved nicotine, but opted for health, instead. You've endured teasing, lack of support, and feeling uncomfortable and out of place among smokers. You may have had issues with weight, anger, tension or sadness, but still you stayed SMOKE-FREE!

You're adjusting to a whole new lifestyle. You're already thinking different thoughts. You've changed habits and routines. You've made new friends and, perhaps, let go of some old ones. You're starting to realize the benefits of living a SMOKE-FREE life. More and more, you see yourself as a non-smoker. We hope you're as proud of you as we are.

And while you've been doing all this for yourself, you've been helping everyone here at the Q: your membership in our community, whether active or passive, has demonstrated an ongoing support of the efforts of all of us. We hope you stay with us as you continue your SMOKE-FREE journey to a fuller, richer, healthier life.

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 3

Not at all. Quitnet Repost, July 20, 2007

Good morning. This quitnet gem reminds me that the real challenge  and opportunity can be found in replacing stinking thinking. I'ts not even a war on smoking. It is really about understanding that smoking never had anything to do with helping to feel better, find pleasure or eliminate stress. 

Keep the quit.

Gene

Just because you've...

... Been addicted to nicotine for years, that does not mean you will always want to smoke.

From gummer on 7/20/2006 9:46:17 AM

Not at all.

In fact, it is precisely BECAUSE I was addicted to smoking that I will never smoke again. And not because I can't, but because I don't want to.

Once I got rid of those fanciful thoughts about smoking... that I loved it, that it helped me do this and that, that it made things more enjoyable... and replaced those beliefs with the reality that all it ever gave me was addiction... then my outlook changed. From then on I'd look at smoking and SEE what it would really give me if I lit up. And I wanted no part of it. That's when the struggle ended. When I discovered that I no longer wanted to smoke, no matter what. Even a craving would no longer tempt me to smoke.

So as you negotiate the early cravings and withdrawals, try to remember that just because you feel this way now, it does not mean you will always want to smoke. Things will change the longer you stay smoke-free. Your views will shift as you move away from the addiction. Try to strip away any positives you still see in smoking, because once you do and you are satisfied there are none, the war will be won.

Gummer

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 3

My Ex-Boyfriend: Sucked in again. Quitnet Repost, March 16, 2006

Good morning,

This made me laugh but it has deadly truth. Smoking always causes us to return to that stinking thinking that having a cigarette can enhance pleasure, relieve stress or help you relax. 

Keep the quit.

Gene

My Ex-Boyfriend: Sucked in again

From beaglelvr on 3/16/2006 9:42:25 AM

My sister sent this to me for inspiration.. It made me laugh and an earlier post reminded me of this.. This is a great way to think about it.. Also, for you men out there, we can call your "ex" Phyllis...

Pretend that Cigarettes are an ex-boyfriend... let's call him, Phillip Morris. Now, at one time you though Phil was great. he was there through thick in thin. He was the love of your life.... but then... you find out Phil had a secret plot to kill you - that's right murder you!! And he became very abusive to you -- making your teeth yellow, giving you wrinkles, making you smell... He was putting poison in your body and killing you slowly and why? because he wants to take your money! But damnit -- Phil is so good looking and he makes all those promises... so you kept taking him back in the past, convinced that he's changed, that you've changed and you can control Phil.

NOPE and N.O.P.E. Phil has not changed!!! Phil is the same bastard -- he wants you back, he wants to humiliate you, make you ugly, rob you blind and kill you. Phil will never change. Do not be a battered woman!! Tell Phil that you are better than that -- that you don't need him no matter how hard he tries -- he can not take you back - YOU won't take him back... you choose another guy called... (um? Mr. Health?) -- we'll work on that one... anyway...

And now it's time to sing "I will Survive" from Gloria Gaynor or maybe a little, "Set Me Free Why don't ya babe".

Get over the hurdle and tell Phil to take a hike. You can do it.

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 2

Congratulations ( originally posted on quitnet, date and author unknown) 

Good morning, 

Time to celebrate our quits, no matter where you are in your process.

Not one puff ever!

Gene

Congratulations 

You've made it! A whole 2 months (OR add the number of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or years) without a cigarette! In that time, you've successfully navigated the physical chaos of withdrawal, the emotional highs and lows of early quit, and the pitfalls of relapse!

Countless times you've refused the offered cigs. More times than that you've craved nicotine, but opted for health, instead. You've endured teasing, lack of support, and feeling uncomfortable and out of place among smokers. You may have had issues with weight, anger, tension or sadness, but still you stayed SMOKE-FREE!

You're adjusting to a whole new lifestyle. You're already thinking different thoughts. You've changed habits and routines. You've made new friends and, perhaps, let go of some old ones. You're starting to realize the benefits of living a SMOKE-FREE life. More and more, you see yourself as a non-smoker. We hope you're as proud of you as we are.

And while you've been doing all this for yourself, you've been helping everyone here at the Q: your membership in our community, whether active or passive, has demonstrated an ongoing support of the efforts of all of us. We hope you stay with us as you continue your SMOKE-FREE journey to a fuller, richer, healthier life.

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 1

Smoking is a symptom. Quitnet Repost, March 18, 2007)

Dan1 was a mentor for me on quitnet. He posted this note on quitnet on March 18, 2007. I really believe that smoking is not the ultimate problem. The problem is all the false beliefs that we give to cigarettes. As Dan1 says, they are all "myths and lies, every last one".

Keep the quit.

Smoking is a symptom. Author, Dan1. 

Really, smoking is not the problem here - addiction is. At this point, smoking is only a symptom of that problem. Sure, it will aggravate and delay detoxification, but that’s a small matter in the grand scheme of addiction. The problem - the core of addiction - is holding to a set of beliefs that makes smoking seem an enjoyable, reasonable, even necessary thing to do. Myths and lies, every last one. Smoking again only indicates that we still hold some of those false beliefs. Give it no more meaning or power than that.

Edited by Genecanuck

Taking Off Your Cloak of Smoke. Quitnet Re-post, September 16, 2000

This quitnet post is a lovely metaphor for the recovery process which is all about walking a path that leads to healing the mind, body and soul.  People use substances for a reason. The process of recovery is an opportunty for us to take a look at the reasons why we started to self-medicate the pains', sorrows and joys of life.

Not One Puff Ever.

We've got this!

Gene

REPOST: Taking off your cloak of smoke
From AniCat on 1/27/2005 10:55:53 PM

Taking off your cloak of smoke

As the cloud of smoke lifts from our lives when we quit smoking so many of us sit in our wooden chair looking around the room at the blank walls wondering where we are and what we do next. It's like the smoke leaks out of a dryer vent or other small hole in the room, taking its time, leaving behind residue that needs scrubbing. Some of it is entirely hidden for months and months. We are surprised that we had yet to discover these facets of our lives that were permeated by the smell of smoke.

It seems that as the layers of smoke are scrubbed away we barely recognize the room we call our lives and ourselves we call the ruler of that life. It's funny how we thought we were present for our lives and yet when we quit, we discover that not unlike the smoke we were kind of hovering around, above, and under that thing which we called living.

Just as are bodies become cleansed from not smoking our lives need cleansing of tamped down emotions, unrecognized dreams, and unresolved conflict. Yes, we do have lots of work to do. Knowing where to begin, what deserves our immediate attention, and how to go about cleaning up the mess we feel we've made is a tremendous challenge.

But as we sit in the barren room, the old curtains torn down and the windows bare we are but naked as the walls. We've torn off those cloaks of smoke and begun our lives again and we are as naked as a baby. What a blessing we've given ourselves. We get to rebuild, redecorate, pick a new wardrobe, and plant a new garden. Another season of our lives is before us and unlike the baby, we can express ourselves with more insight than we ever thought possible.

Something transforming happens when you dispense with something as negative as smoking. The light is turned on; the glasses sharpen the image; and the ability to verbalize becomes simpler and clearer. Even though we feel overwhelmed at the magnitude of the restoration of our lives, we feel in awe that we were so unaware of its becoming rundown. How could we not have noticed that things had become such a shambles? Ah yes, the smoke blurred the lines, it made everything appear a comfortable shade of gray.

Now as the vibrancy of life becomes once again apparent, we want to hurry the process of reclaiming what is ours. We want to shine every crystal, polish every marble table top, and scour all the negativism of our former selves. We feel an urgency to repair damaged woodwork, paint the flaking and peeling relationships of our lives, and scour our bodies inside and out. Of course a project of this grandeur will take time but oh how anxious we are to begin.

Now though it may seem daunting, this rebuilding of our lives, what a more worthwhile project? Would we choose to sit in the dark another five years, waiting for someone to pull us from the choking smoke of death? Would we cover our eyes, and hearts, and minds as life went on around us, just outside our prison walls? Would we perpetuate the false, fog like existence that years of smoking had draped around us? Nope, let's take off that cloak, put on some rubber gloves, grab a bucket and get busy.

THE AWAKENING

A time comes in your life when you finally get it . . . when in the midst of all your fears and insanity you stop dead in your tracks and somewhere the voice inside your head cries out: ENOUGH! Enough of the fighting and crying and struggling to hold on. And, like a child quieting down after a blind tantrum, your sobs begin to subside, you shudder once or twice, you blink back your tears, and through a mantle of wet lashes you begin to look at the world through new eyes. This is your awakening. You realize that it’s time to stop hoping and waiting for something to change or for happiness, safety and security to come galloping over the next horizon. You come to terms with the fact that he is not Prince Charming and you are not Cinderella and that in the real world there aren’t always fairytale endings (or beginnings for that matter) and that any guarantee of `happily ever after` must begin with you and in the process a sense of serenity is born of acceptance.

You awaken to the fact that you are not perfect and that not everyone will always love, appreciate, or approve of who or what you are . . .and that’s OK. (They are entitled to their own views and opinions.) And you learn the importance of loving and championing yourself and in the process a sense of new found confidence is born of self-approval.

You stop bitching and blaming other people for the things they did to you (or didn’t do for you,) and you learn that the only thing you can really count on is the unexpected. You learn that people don’t always say what they mean or mean what they say and that not everyone will always be there for you and that it’s not always about you. So, you learn to stand on your own and to take care of yourself, and in the process a sense of safety and security is born of self-reliance.

You stop judging and pointing fingers and you begin to accept people as they are and to overlook their shortcomings and human frailties, and in the process a sense of peace & contentment are born of forgiveness.

You realize that much of the way you view yourself, and the world around you, is as a result of all the messages and opinions that have been ingrained into your psyche.

You begin to sift through all the crap you’ve been fed about how you should behave, how you should look, how much you should weigh, what you should wear, where you should shop, what you should drive, how and where you should live, what you should do for a living, who you should sleep with, who you should marry, what you should expect of a marriage, the importance of having and raising children, or what you owe your parents.

You learn to open up to new worlds and different points of view. And you begin reassessing and redefining who you are what you really stand for.

You learn the difference between wanting and needing and you begin to discard the doctrines and values you’ve outgrown, or should never have bought into to begin with, and in the process you learn to go with your instincts.

You learn that it is truly in giving that we receive; and that there is power and glory in creating and contributing. You stop maneuvering through life merely as a `consumer` looking for your next fix. You learn that principles such as honesty and integrity are not the outdated ideals of a by gone era but the mortar that holds together the foundation upon which you must build a life.

You learn that you don’t know everything, that it’s not your job to save the world and that you can’t teach a pig to sing. You learn to distinguish between guilt and responsibility, and you learn the importance of setting boundaries and of learning to say NO. You learn that the only cross to bear is the one you choose to carry and that martyrs get burned at the stake.

Then you learn about love: Romantic love and familiar love. You learn how to love, how much to give in love, when to stop giving, and when to walk away.

You learn not to project your needs or your feelings onto a relationship. You learn that you will not be more beautiful, more intelligent, more lovable or important because of the man or woman on your arm or the child that bears your name. You learn to look at relationships as they really are and not as you would have them be. You stop trying to control people, situations and outcomes. You learn that just as people grow and change so it is with love. And you learn that you don’t have the right to demand love on your terms.

And, you learn that alone does not mean lonely. And you look in the mirror and come to terms with the fact that you will never be a size 5 or a perfect 10 and you stop trying to compete with the image inside your head and agonizing over how you “stack up”.

You also stop working so hard at putting your feelings aside, smoothing things over, and ignoring your needs. You learn that feelings of entitlement are perfectly OK, and you learn that it is your right to want things and to ask for the things that you want--and that sometimes it is necessary to make demands.

You come to the realization that you deserve to be treated with love, kindness, sensitivity, and respect, and you decide you won’t settle for less. And you allow only the hands of a lover who cherishes you to glorify you with his or her touch . . . and in the process you internalize the meaning of self-respect.

And you learn that your body really is your temple. And you begin to care for it and treat it with respect. You begin eating a balanced diet, drinking more water, and taking more time to exercise. You learn that fatigue diminishes the spirit and can create doubt and fear. So you take more time to rest. And, just as food fuels the body, laughter fuels our soul. So you take more time to laugh and to play.

You learn that for the most part, in life, you get what you believe you deserve . . . and that much of life truly is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You learn that anything worth achieving is worth working for and that wishing for something to happen is different than working toward making it happen. More importantly, you learn that in order to achieve success you need direction, discipline, and perseverance. You also learn that no one can do it all alone and that it’s OK to risk asking for help.

You learn that the only thing you must truly fear is the great robber baron of all time: FEAR itself. You learn to step right into and through your fears, because you know that whatever happens you can handle it and to give in to fear is to give away the right to live life on your terms.

And you learn to fight for your life and not to squander it living under a cloud of impending doom. You learn that life isn’t always fair, you don’t always get what you think you deserve and that sometimes `bad` things happen to unsuspecting, good people. On these occasions you learn not to personalize things. You learn that God isn’t punishing you or failing to answer your prayers. It’s just life happening.

And you learn to deal with evil in its most primal state: the ego. You learn that negative feelings such as anger, envy, and resentment must be understood and redirected or they will suffocate the life out of you and poison the universe that surrounds you. You learn to admit when you are wrong and to building bridges instead of walls.

You learn to be thankful and to take comfort in many of the simple things we take for granted, things that millions of people upon the earth can only dream about: a full refrigerator, clean running water, a soft warm bed, a long hot shower.

Slowly, you begin to take responsibility for yourself by yourself, and you make yourself a promise never to betray yourself and never, ever to settle for less than your heart’s desire. And you hang a wind chime outside your window so you can listen to the wind. And you make a point to keep smiling, to keep trusting, and to stay open to every wonderful possibility.

Finally, with courage in your heart, you take a deep breath and you begin to design the life you want to live as best as you can.

Author Unknown

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 3

Don't Negotiate. Quitnet Repost, December 9, 2005

There really is no nicodeamon or boogy man that is lurking and waiting to jump up and make us smoke. But there is always that stinking thinking that rears its ugly head once in a while: the mistaken belief that smoking can enhance our plesaure or solve life's normal problems. That is False thinking.

Smoking does nothing but make us want to smoke more. 

Not one puff ever!

Gene

don't negotiate-repost for new quitters
From terri2005 on 1/3/2006 10:04:22 AM

I don`t negotiate
From terri2005 on 12/9/2005 10:50:38 PM

The United States has a policy of not negotiating with terrorists.

And I have a similar policy. I don`t negotiate with Nico-Demons.

Its not that I don`t talk to the demon now and then. He still visits once in a while even with 562 days since his last feeding. But I don`t negotiate. We just visit briefly.

`How ya been?`

`Better without YOU! But thanks for asking!`

`How bout a little puff? I can still get some of your favorite brand.`

`Sorry demon. No can do. You see...I made this little decision this morning, that just for today, I wouldn`t take that first puff of nicotine. And I`m keeping my promise. And those are nicotine. Poison in a paper tube. Sickarettes. I`d be breaking my word. To myself. To my friends. To my family. To my friends at the Q. Go away. `

`I just stopped by because I heard about that little problem at work or home or with your health or your love life . You could use some cheering up. Just one. Nobody will know.`

`My work is wonderful. My home life is the best. My health is better than ever. And my wife loves me. Go Away...`

`Wow! Things are good. Let`s celebrate with a sickarette!`

`Maybe tomorrow. Catch me just before I wake up, ask for help, and give thanks for another great day on this wonderful planet. And for waking up smober healthy, and ALIVE! Who knows....ya might get lucky. Now go away.`

`How about a drink? I`m in good with the Alcohol-Demon and he owes me a few favors...`

`I bet. Go away. I`m going fishing.`

Listen up newbies...

A few short years ago I sat in the hospital being shot full of steroids and epinephrine just to keep me breathing another day. The x-rays showed COPD and the Dr. said the smokes were killing me. I couldn’t get up my stairs to go to bed, much less hunt and fish. But I kept negotiating with the demon, and he always won.

Today...I`m off to the high mountains of Montana for three days in the wilderness. My new lungs are a real joy on the steep hikes and 7000+` elevations. And though I`ve gained a few pounds, I feel like a million bucks. And I no longer negotiate with the demon, though we do talk now and then.

One day at a time. A conscious decision upon awakening. A simple prayer in the morning `please help me, just for today, to stay away from that first puff of nicotine.`. And in the evening, out of common courtesy, a simple `Thanks` seems to work. And above all, I don`t take that FIRST puff, one day at a time.

I won`t be here to watch you this weekend. I won`t know if you take that first puff or not. But you`ll know. And the demon will know. And if you open that door, just a crack, he`ll be in like a flash. He`s fast. And he`s cunning, baffling, and powerful. All you have to do is refuse to negotiate. When he shows up...send him packing. Tell him to come back tomorrow. And don`t take that first puff, just for today.

This is what the demon doesn`t want you to know:

If you don`t take that first puff, one day at a time, it is impossible to fail!

If you don`t take that first puff, just for today, you`ll absolutely, positively, be 100% guaranteed to go to bed as a WINNER tonight!

troutnut1

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Some Pretty Good Advice, Quitnet Re-post, October 1, 2004

I found this in my archives.
From alicialynn1 on 10/1/2004 11:18:40 AM

This was one of the coolest posts Ive seen.. I dont remember who posted it...

SOME PRETTY GOOD ADVICE

Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.

Eat a live toad in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others. Never buy a car you can't push.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you don't have a leg to stand on.

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

The early worm gets eaten by the bird, so sleep late.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.

Ever notice that the people who are late are often much jollier than the people who have to wait for them?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened.

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors ... but they all have to learn to live in the same box.

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.

Have an awesome day,
and know that someone has thought about you today.....
And it was me.......

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 4

Just One Little Puff, Quitnet Re-post, January 1, 2004

© Joel Spitzer 1988, 2003
Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 17, 2003

Not one puff ever.... Gene

Keep your quit.

Just one little puff......
From paulh99 on 1/12/2004 8:43:25 PM

Just One Little Puff?"   , from Paul, Day 183

It is hard for many people to grasp the concept of how just one little puff can result in full-blown relapse. It just doesn't seem logical to some people. But should you ever find yourself debating the thought of whether or not you could possibly get away with smoking "just" one, think about what advice you would give to a family member or friend who you cared for tremendously, while knowing that they were a recovering heroin or cocaine addict who was for the first time in months or years considering attempting recreational use. Imagine your shock and horror at even the thought of it, especially if you were with them back during the peak of their addiction when it was ruining almost every aspect of life and maybe even putting his or her very life on the line.

Would you say to him or her, "well, maybe you are better now, maybe its worth finding out if you could handle just one?" Would you feel the need to do a little research in current journals to see if maybe “one” is an option now? Would you maybe even delve into a few neurological journals to see if the scientists now have a better grip on neurotransmitter pathways that could explain why addiction happens? Then maybe you could say, "Well they are starting to understand a little more of how addiction works and maybe soon they can alter your brain physiology. So now, if you relapse it may not be a big deal for a cure is just around the corner--maybe even only a few years away.” It is more likely that you would you cut through the rationalization and say, "If you do it, you are going to be back where you were when you first had to quit. You are going to mess up your life and everyone around you."

The odds are you would go the latter route. You would be horrified and take a firm stand that he or she shouldn't do it -- it would be stupid and even worse, suicidal. Well there is no difference between this scenario and the concept of, “Maybe I can have just one, now.”

Well there is actually one difference. It is not medically or physically based, but rather societal. Our societies have not been taught about nicotine addiction. People have been taught about addiction and other drugs. Even though nicotine is more addictive than most any other addictive substance, and maybe even the most addictive of all, people still don't grasp how any administration of the substance can cause a relapse, even though they are taught this about most other addictive drugs.

How often has someone asked you after he finds out that you have quit smoking the question, "You mean you haven't even had one?" This is such a ludicrous comment, and yet so common. Or how many times have you seen literature put out by medical organizations advising a recovering addict to not let a slip put them back to using? The message has been clear and consistent with other drugs, the message being don't slip.

Everyone here has been exposed to this discrepancy, not just since he quit, but also for years and decades while he still smoked. You now have to alter a way of thinking that is part of your culture, no matter what culture you are from. The pervasive attitude of the society around you is wrong.

The society may accept the danger of smoking but they do not yet grasp the concept of the addiction. You have to be smarter and more informed than the society around you, maybe even your health care provider. It is asking a lot of an individual to think differently than the society as a whole, but in regards to smoking it has to be done.

The consequence of not becoming fanatical against a puff is too serious to just dismiss. It will be the loss of your quit, and that can easily translate into loss of your health and eventually loss of your life. You have to be vigilant at all times, to keep reminding yourself that you are a recovering addict.

Over time there may be no signs of the addiction; thoughts of cigarettes may have become rare events now and maybe even non-existent. But even at this stage of the game, there is a silent addiction still there that can take you down with full force for making one miscalculation -- thinking that maybe you are different.

You are no different than any other drug addict, whether the drug was alcohol, cocaine, heroin, etc. You are an addict for life, but as long as you get the drug out of your system and never administer it again, you will never be set into the downward spiral that the drug sets into motion to its users. In regards to smoking, that spiral is loss of your freedom, your health and your life, which means you can lose everything.

To keep what you've got, always remember that to stay smoke free you must NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

© Joel Spitzer 1988, 2003
Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 17, 2003

Identifying Triggers: Quitnet Re-post, May 12, 2023

RE: Identifying triggers....
From MutinyFever on 5/12/2003 6:43:46 PM ~ 219 dayz

Anything can be a trigger. An ashtray, snow, a pack of cigs, a good dinner, a movie, waiting for a bus, getting off the bus, a fight, a birth, a victory, a joy, sex, drinking, dancing, singing, asthma, winning a bet, losing a bet, work, stress, bedtime, waking up, a commercial, a baby crying, seeing an old friend, losing an old friend, breathing...

The thing is no one can really control triggers. They happen. People say, stay out of the situation, but that is not the trick to quitting. That is just a way to make it easier.

The trick to quitting is enduring cravings, one after another, one at a time, FOREVER. If that sounds hard, it should because it is. Thankfully cravings don`t keep coming forever, or they get spaced very far apart at least, eventually. But don`t count on that time. Don`t think about that time. Don`t wish that time were here. Experience what is now. There`s a good reason to.

It is because if you experience the pain of this moment, you will realize that smoking caused this. If you really let yourself realize that, you will never want to do this to yourself again.

There`s another good reason. It is that if you are really honest, you will realize this is not that bad. Chemo would be a good deal worse than this craving. Admit it. You can handle this. Commit to handling this craving each and every time it comes. Face it. The monster has blunt teeth.

I am sorry you are craving. I totally sympathize, because I have been craving pretty hard myself from time to time. I can only say, this is the way our lives are now. I don`t avoid smokers. I don`t avoid triggers. Cigarettes and the triggers to smoke are just everywhere. I am simply committed to enduring all my cravings, one at a time, without ever smoking.

I wish for everyone, the strength to endure. Long and long from now, you will realize you haven`t had a craving for as long as you can remember. Be happy now.

Michael

• Like 4

Also Struggling Here, My Quitnet Re-post, November 3, 2008

Good morning,

Yes, this is me over 15 years ago. I am determined that this is my LAST QUIT.

Not one puff ever!

Gene

Also struggling here
From Gym_Genecanuck on 3/11/2008 4:51:57 PM

Greetings,

I want this quit to be MY LAST!!!! I came here a few days ago, when I was on day four of my last quit... here I go again.

I feel like I am sliding sliding sliding and ramping up my smoking to the level it was a few years ago. I was a pack a day smoker; quit in 2004; have had several slips; never really got right off the patch. Have a partner that smokes at home.

Today, I is my new Day 1. I am determined not to smoke for the rest of the day. I am heading home and I know that my partner will have cigarettes in the house. He can smoke four cigs a day and keep it at this level. If I have one cigarette, I know that I will be chain smoking. That is my pattern. Once I finish abusing my body, I will go back to a patch and suffer to get the ciggies out of my thoughts and body for a few weeks. This cycle of abuse is insane.

Ok, I am finished my rant. I hope to get to know members of this club because I want to make March 2008 the month when I REALLY STOP SMOKING.

Big sigh... thanks for listening.....

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So you want an EASY quit.  Quitnet Re-post, March 3, , 2011

Good morning. Some tough love in this old quitnet re-post.

KTQ.

Gene

REPOST:  So you want an EASY quit?

Date: 2011-03-03 23:12:39

Cool.  I wanted that too.  BADLY.

I didn't want to go through withdrawal, discomfort, the UNKNOWN.  I didn't want head fog and hot flashes and quitzits and a bad chantix reaction.  I didn't want insomnia or days when I was so tired and drained that I didn't even want to stand up.  I didn't want to be thinking about cravings round the clock.  And I didn't want to have to sit through the whole process without the one thing that would make me feel better...a sickarette!

But as the saying goes, the only way out is THROUGH.

I'm here to tell you that it is NOT as bad as you think.  The first few days are hard.  SO WHAT????  So you pay your dues in hell week and heck week, weak week, and eventually....you are not only fine, you are EXCITED about your quit and HAPPY about it!  It doesn't take long to get to that point, and you kind of forget the roughness of those first few days.

In the scheme of life, this is a SHORT price to pay for FREEDOM.

So you want an EASY quit?

Too bad.  Suck it up, brace yourself, hold on to the Q, and get ready for a roller coaster ride you will be THRILLED you went on!!!!

REALLY!

Carly

Edited by Genecanuck
  • Like 2