I'm going to fail....

I had my last cig on June 19...6 weeks yesterday . Had no intention of quitting for more than 3 or 4 days as I was having teeth pulled. For whatever reason, probably the ever building sense of guilt I had been feeling, I still haven't lit up. After 57 years of smoking, this is ridiculously hard I used about 4 nicotine lozenges a day and I'm down to 2 but wow, I am miserable. Think I'm just going to have one. Don't know what else to do 😒

Don't. You've come so far.

I was only going to quit for 2 days until payday and get by with nrt gum.... nearly 7 years ago. It gets better. Promise. 

Seems like this no man's land your in will last forever?, you should be over it by now?... don't listen to those nicodemons in your head. You are reprogramming, the nicotine receptors are pulling out all the tricks to hook you back in. You are doing so well. 2 lozenges a day is great. You've come so far. 

Being an nrt quitter myself this is in no way a criticism but those lozenges will be making it a little bit harder. Each one is another little hit, however micro.. that said they are a bazillion times better than having a smoke.

Please don't throw away all your hard work. It really does get easier.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I quit when I had dental surgery too, @Diane Suligoy. And 2.5 years later I’m still free! 

The first few weeks really suck. Withdrawal messes with your head and your addiction throws all kinds of tantrums. Stinkin thinkin will try to convince you that smoking will make you feel better. But it won’t, actually. Don’t give in. Use more lozenges if you have to, just don’t light up.

When you get to the other side of this rough patch, you’ll be so glad and proud that you kept your quit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You have a 6 week Quit … this is flippin 

amazin … don’t throw this away …

Positive thinking , yes it’s tough at the beginning … quitting those cancer sticks is worth fighting for .

Read all the green pinned threads on the

Main  Discussion Board , it will help you along , 

Come and play games a great way to pass the time …

We were all were you are now , it’s doable 🐸

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gday 6 weeks. Good on ya.

Dont you dare look back. 
It’s all about going foward.

Dont count the days cause it sounds like you doing time.

You are actually doing freedom

Go well 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Diane. Destroy the smokes and throw them out. You are not pathetic for keeping them around. Just addicted.

But it’s time to show the addiction who’s boss through a clear act of defiance. Flush them, crush them, bury them in cat poop, whatever. Good riddance.

You deserve freedom from the bondage of addiction, freedom from the struggle, freedom from feeling lousy, freedom from the ambivalence of wanting/not wanting to smoke. You CAN do this! It gets easier if you give it time.

A turning point for me in my own quit came when I got good and mad at the cravings, mad at my junkie brain spinning bullsh—t lies (like I’d never be happy or complete without smoking…just crap), mad at the tobacco companies that got me hooked when I was just a child.

Find your fierce. It helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Diane, I agree with getting rid of the cigarettes. Its harder to cave to a crave if you actually have to go and buy some. This usually allows you time for the crave to pass and you to realize what you're about to give up. I used my JAC (jillars air cigarette) when bad craves hit and it did a great job at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Maybe give that a try? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Six weeks is amazing!! Please don't give it up!!  It does get easier, I promise you. We all know what you are going through and you can definitely do this, but you have to get rid of the cigs.  You can't have any temptations around you!!  I used cinnamon sticks for the first couple of months.  I would make believe I was smoking with them and suck air through them.  They really tasted so nice compared to any cig that I ever smoked.  If you don't like cinnamon, you can use cut up straws, but please don't give up on your quit!!!  Keep coming on here and posting as we can all help you!!  It really does get easier, It really does!!🙂 You won't be climbing the walls a few months from now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quitting Girl is right .

Those members who have posted , joined in with the forum are more likely to keep their quit 

Helping others also helps make your quit more solid , 

Maybe take the daily Nope.. this I found a powerful tool , once I made the promise not to smoke that day .. I didn’t want to let myself and the board down 🐸

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember my 6 week mark. I think that was my last real time of tough challenges to my fledling quit. Not saying everything was sunshine & roses after that first 6 weeks but I remember getting past my last real challeng then, something that jumped up from nowhere and stressed me right out so I wanted a smoke but ... didn't and all I had left to do was to keep carrying on with my quit. Day by day; week by week. There were no longer huge daily or weekly battles with myself - just quietly went about building my new non-smoking daily routine and before I knew it, that became my new normal and what a great thing that is ... freedom from nicotine slavery - you should try it; it's the absolute best feeling you could give yourself.

Throwing away all your hard work over these past 6 weeks would be such a waste. Keep going even if it is still a little hard. If you take up the smokes again, you might never put them down & that would be a shame 😦

• Like 3

To top it all off folks, my grandson ended up on emergency surgery today. I pushed through it. I do agree I need to drop the nicotine lozenges. Haven't reached for one yet today but I sure want one. I kind of figures I am hampering the withdrawal concept with the nrt....but I wouldn't gave made 48 hours after losing these teeth without. I mean, I don't think so.  Anyway, thank you for all of the encouraging words❤️

• Like 5

Hi Diane--

FWIW, I'd say don't worry at all about the nicotine lozenges:  the "enemy" here is cigarettes, not nicotine.  Any day that you don't smoke is a win.  Period.  

The first few weeks and months can really, really suck.  They certainly did for me.  I often tell people that quitting was far more difficult than I expected (and I think I went in with reasonable expectations) AND far more transformative.  You're experiencing the former; the latter awaits you, I promise.  Hang in there, friend--

Christian99

22 1/2 Years Quit

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...