My SIL has quit smoking...!

action

Ceri, my sister-in-law, popped round my house on Sunday evening, and when she reached for her pack of cigarettes, she pulled one out and said 'this is my last cigarette'.  I asked her, did she mean the last cigarette in the packet, or 'the' last cigarette - she told me that she was quitting, and this was the last one ever.

Well, she poped over last night, too, and she told us that she hadn't smoked all day (Monday), and that her work colleague (and smoking buddy) has told her that she will quit too.  So, now she has a quit buddy, too :)

Ceri, if you are reading, CONGRATULATIONS!!

I hope that all my subtle hints I've dropped for the last 10 months have helped, even if only a little ;)

• Like 16

Congratulations, Ceri (if you're reading this)! I agree that Ross is one of the best inspirations, mentors and quit buddies you could have. Trust him. But be careful-- I have heard that if he finds out that you are toying with the idea of smoking again he will come to your house, hold you up in the air by your ankles, and shake you until your cigarettes and lighter fall onto the floor. I mean, this guy is ferocious (but effective)!!  :D

• Like 1

... She came over tonight, and didn't go for a smoke, which I thought was promising... Ask her how she's doing, her reply - really well, I'm only smoking about 2 a day... She seemed super excited about it, but we all know it ain't gonna last... Any advice how to approach this? Last time I tried to help her or offer advice, she got really defensive and angry... Should I just carry on not smoking and see if she follows, or should I say something... If so, any ideas?!

• Like 1

Action, I know you mean well and you could give your SIL some excellent advice and resources. However, unless and until she asks for help, you should probably stay out of it. If she thinks that 2 cigarettes a day is praiseworthy, praise the hell out of her for that. It is better than nothing, and at least you will stay on her good side.

Remember, most people have to try and fail several times before their "sticky" quit. That's just the way it is. 

• Like 2

... She came over tonight, and didn't go for a smoke, which I thought was promising... Ask her how she's doing, her reply - really well, I'm only smoking about 2 a day... She seemed super excited about it, but we all know it ain't gonna last... Any advice how to approach this? Last time I tried to help her or offer advice, she got really defensive and angry... Should I just carry on not smoking and see if she follows, or should I say something... If so, any ideas?!

aww shame.....I bought my friend the complete session of Allen Carr......5dvds....she has never even took the wrapper off....

It just sits there un watched......she too used to get all angry when I mentioned ,have you seen it yet....

Now I don't say anything.....she knows it's there.....when she is ready.....

But back in my smoking days....I would have been just the same.....

Has she read Allen Carr....maybe just leave a copy lying around your place,she can go in and out of it hopefully.....

While she thinks your not looking.........

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be fabulous if there was something to say. If you didn't sit there thinking "oooooo, gradual torture" how great for you! 

I'm with Crys. It kills me to do it and to say it, but I praise even the thought of quitting. I tell them I think it's a brilliant first step towards their quit but it was too hard for me to maintain, I found quitting easier then cutting down....and if they bite, great, if they don't.... look at you all cutting down (never call it quitting!) and stuff, good job.  Then move the conversation on. Smokers think all ex smokers are reformed wombats and will never listen, until they are ready to hear at which point they will ask how.

xx

• Like 2

aww shame.....I bought my friend the complete session of Allen Carr......5dvds....she has never even took the wrapper off....

It just sits there un watched......she too used to get all angry when I mentioned ,have you seen it yet....

Now I don't say anything.....she knows it's there.....when she is ready.....

But back in my smoking days....I would have been just the same.....

Has she read Allen Carr....maybe just leave a copy lying around your place,she can go in and out of it hopefully.....

While she thinks your not looking.........

Already gave her a copy AGES ago, and she wasn't interested... :(

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice guys! She is going away to France with work today, and not coming back until Sunday... I'm worried that she will go back to it full time (I always smoked like a chimney when I was abroad). Will see her Monday and ask her...

• Like 1

Already gave her a copy AGES ago, and she wasn't interested... :(

Aww ok.....like me then Ross ,all we can do is hope one day....they both want it bad enough......

I listen to her giving me all the excuses we write about here.....my heart sinks.....she believes them all.....

I sit quiet when I really want to shout.....woman....get your head out of your arse.....

It is killing you......

She watches tony and I with our struggles .....and goes down the garden to smoke.....

• Like 1

Aww ok.....like me then Ross ,all we can do is hope one day....they both want it bad enough......

I listen to her giving me all the excuses we write about here.....my heart sinks.....she believes them all.....

I sit quiet when I really want to shout.....woman....get your head out of your arse.....

It is killing you......

She watches tony and I with our struggles .....and goes down the garden to smoke.....

(((Mammy)))

• Like 1