Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I just joined tonight.  A health scare prompted my quit on 05/30/2024.  The first 6 days I was in the hospital with plenty to think about and I really didn't miss vaping.  But now I'm home, nobody else home with me, and I find myself thinking about it more.  I quit cigarettes probably 7 years ago and started vaping.  Thought it was "better" for me.  But I know better than that in reality.  I am 61 years old, and just found out last Monday that I will be unemployed on 8/12/24.   I'm afraid that will be a trigger for me as well.  The company I have worked for for 42 years is closing.  

I look forward to any and all advice and help that you all have to offer.  My brother in law quit a few years ago using this site, and he recommended it to me.

• Like 4

Welcome @LoriB  You are doing a great thing in quitting vaping and you did a great thing in quitting smoking several years ago.  I am sorry for your health scare and i hope things get better.

My last year or two as a smoker, I tried to quit by switching to vaping and e-cigs, thinking that it was somehow better than smoking regular tobacco cigarettes.  I made three misguided attempts to switch over, each lasting a few weeks, and I grew to think I was actually vaping more than I was smoking.  I actually got weird feelings in my gums and sharp headaches that I didn't experience with smoking.  It would not surprise me if sometime down the line , it is determined that vaping is just as bad, if not worse, than regular smoking.....that is just my opinion.

Anyway, it is best to leave both the vapes and smokes behind.

I am sorry to hear about your potential layoff from your job in the upcoming months but vaping, or smoking, will not make anything better.

Stick around this site and continue to reach our for help when you need it.  I am not going to ask who your bother in law is (unless you care to share) but he made a good decision in recommendiing you to come here.  We are a somewhat odd bunch but we really belive in helping others kick the nicotine habit once and for all.  Life is much better without nicotine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi @LoriB, welcome aboard our train full of quitters. Congratulations on being done with your nicotine addiction once and for all ☺.  We have a ton of information to educate yourself including a forum on vaping so be sure to take a look around. Most people start with the pinned threads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, @LoriB. And congrats on your 24-day quit!

It’s good that you’re seeking out positive reinforcement here and thinking ahead about triggers that lie ahead. Those are two good ways to protect your quit.

Addiction is a wily opponent, though, and it will try to pounce on you when you’re vulnerable, or try to rationalize that just an occasional vape here and there won’t hurt. Don’t fall for that hogwash! Stay strong, stay free. You’ll be glad you did. 

• Like 5

Hello and welcome to this magical Train ..

It will take you all the way to FREEDOM …all you need is the desire and the knowledge….

Our lungs are only meant for good fresh air …i you Quit cigarettes…Congratulations…now it’s time to free yourself of the vape ..

Have a good look around ..The Main Board has great pinned posts to get you started ..

Looking forward to getting to know you better…OH !!

The sticks and chicks game could do with another chick on board …check it out …it can pass the time …

• Like 5

Welcome aboard LoriB, go ahead and grab a seat. You will not find a better place to support you on your quest to quit smoking. We got your back no matter what. Everyday you will grow stronger and stronger. The nicotine monster has no control over you anymore. Stay strong and vigilante because you got this.

• Like 4

Sorry I’m so late in welcoming you aboard, @LoriB. You have done such a great thing for yourself in quitting smoking and vaping. I’m sorry about the upcoming layoff. Scary and stressful I know. It’s great that your brother-in-law referred you to us as this site and it’s great members can help you along in building a good solid foundation. How are you getting along?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everybody!!  Still not vaping!!  I still find myself wanting to, and there are those "times" when I normally would (first thing in the morning,  right after eating, driving, and stressful times at work)and I still want to.  But so far I have been able to resist.  I knew this was going to be hard, but I believe I can do it.  Hopefully,  lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is good to hear from you @LoriB. You are doing great. Keep working through those triggers. Keep your head up and a smile on your face because you have so much to be proud of. You are overcoming an addiction. So many people never even try,  but look at you! Kicking that Nicodemon’s butt to the curb. 

• Like 2

Hi Lori.  Glad you are here.  This is a great place for support and the only place that helped me finally quit.  Stick with us because freedom can be yours.