Today

Gabby

Things have not been going so well for me in the last two weeks, in fact I have been struggling everyday and was starting to think relapse was on the cards again. Just "meh" just doing it not enjoying it. I have been quitting since April 2012 and relapsing time after time.

Then a few kind words and a picture from one of the members made me think what was really wrong and why was I feeling this way.  I realise that I had lost the magic in my quit. The way I use to think it was my own little miracle.  I had let life overwhelm me.   

I had forgotten to be grateful for all the good things in my quit and my life.  So thanx  "S" you made me think why I sent out a message in a bottle. 

Today I will be grateful that I have quit smoking.  And I will be grateful for all of what life brings me.

Gabby

• Like 15

Oh, absolutely, Gabby. You really do have to be your own best "booster". Take the time to NOTICE and to APPRECIATE all the little things that are getting better since you quit smoking. Then pat yourself on the back for making the decision and for keeping your quit to make all these good things happen. And you know what? If you can get in the habit of noticing and appreciating the good things in your life-- your whole life not just your non-smoking life-- you will be a much happier and well-rounded person forever and ever. Isn't that cool? 

Notice. Appreciate. Applaud. That's the secret to success and happiness!!

• Like 7

I struggled too when the newness wore off. I know exactly what you mean!

I try to remember Allen Carr's advice to wake up in the morning and say 'yippee, I'm a non smoker!'

And after awhile the 'ho-humness' about the quit goes away too. It's not new anymore, but the gratefulness of being free from the smokes comes back and it stays.

I'm so glad you are working through this and I'm thanking 'S' too for helping you!

• Like 4

Hi gabby,having a restless night,came here,glad I did,I saw this....

Time zones make it hard to post back to you right away ...I love your little picture....it does make me smile....anyways.....

Most of us here have felt that way....when the sparkle goes out of a fresh quit.....I think it comes in and out all the time....

I remember once I came to the board saying the same thing and called it a wobble......

I don't remember now,I wish I did I would thank that person so much,but they said to me....

Doreen....it's ok to wobble....just don't fall over.....

It's great the way one thing a person says can change the way you feel totally....

I'm glad you found that ,from a member when you needed too hear something solid.....

Always come to the board when you need support,it will get you through....

You have a great quit going....try to stay positive.....it truly does get better....

Hugs xx

• Like 5

3 months can be a difficult time - it was for me and it has been for a few others... I'm not sure why it is this way, but it just is. Like you say - maybe it feels like the 'magic' has gone?

But the magic hadn't gone - it's always there, and this was just a small bump in the road on your journey. Now you can get back on track and start enjoying it again :)

I hope to see more of you, because I really believe that participation here can be such a positive factor in your quit :)

Hugs :)

• Like 8

Aww Gabby, sorry you felt that way, as others have said it's quite a normal phase but still really rubbish.   I'm pleased someone helped you hold on. You need to come post more too, that really helps me on down days. I hope today/tomorrow finds you still filled with positive thoughts. x

• Like 4

Gabby - so sorry you have been feeling down - please remember we are all here for support when ever you need it ! In regards to how great you are doing - I am more than happy to lead your cheer squad - but you also have to take the time to give yourself a huge pat on the back and appreciate what a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself.xx

• Like 4

I realise that I had lost the magic in my quit.

The way I use to think it was my own little miracle.

There is no "magic" in a quit.

There is no "miracle" in a quit.

There is only accomplishment.

You can be excited about it, or dread it. The Sarge himself was dragged into it unwillingly, kicking and screaming, by The Doc and all his talk of imminent heart attack and early death.

Don't think of magic and miracles. They will ultimately let you down because they are untruths.

Think only of accomplishing the mission. At all costs.

At all costs.

Easy Peasy

• Like 6

That's the way Gabby....be happy for YOU....

You are making this happen.

You are beating this addiction

You should be proud of it

You are getting stronger every day

You are a non-smoker

Who made it happen................YOU did

KTQ

Dors

• Like 5

Way to go Gabby.  It is a hard hump to get over once the "high" of your quit fades away.  It becomes the norm that you are a non smoker.  When you get to the point that you can appreciate the awesomness of being a non-smoker...it is a forever thing.

you should be very very very proud of yourself... you have done something AWESOME.

Welcome to your wonderful new life... appreciate it... and go live it.

keep on keepin on.

• Like 3

I had forgotten to be grateful for all the good things in my quit and my life.  

Today I will be grateful that I have quit smoking.  And I will be grateful for all of what life brings me.

Gabby

.    "Today I will be grateful that I have quit smoking.  And I will be grateful for all of what life brings me"

What a beautiful prayer, Gabby.   Me too, me too.

• Like 3

Gabby I gave in to the MEH moment and I didn't get any relief or satisfaction from it, I should have reached out at the time, but I didn't, I have learnt and embrace my quit, the MEH moments will always come and go, and we have to understand that we will get through them and do not need any nasty chemicals to succeed, so glad you have posted and to read that you overcame your MEH, reaching out to others who care and understand goes a long way in helping, as said above we cannot make others quit but we can be here to help others to keep it.  Anytime you feel the need to reach please do it, I know I will xxx

• Like 6