Once and for all

Weighed myself yesterday when I went for a swim with my son. Was a massive, for me, 13st 12lb. That is massive for me because I was a regular swimmer, runner and biker not a long time ago. Would regularly do 10k runs. Its proof that smoking brings with it a multitude of bad habits. Not everyone will suffer the same but I can't exercise when I'm a smoker, my eating habits become fuddled aswell. Time to put the whole lot back in check. I'm heading towards 50 years of age. This quit needs to be part of a wider health kick.

Weighing myself and looking in the mirror has given me that kick up the arse.

• Like 3

Had the smoking dreams today. I remember these from the last time I went full on quit for a few years. At the start, about a week in, I'd have dreams of smoking or dreams of trying to get ciggies. Its like one of them frontiers you've got to get over.

• Like 2

I dropped him off today at his mum's about 8:30. These are the days I would have been straight the shop for a 20 pack. Not today. Had a couple of urges before dropping him off. Low level ones. "I'll drop him off and get some bifters." They were batted away pretty easily. I'm feeling good this time around. As I say, done a massive quit in the past. This feels more sustainable than that one. This feels like 'THE QUIT'

• Like 6

Good on you! Your positive attitude will carry you far.

I, too, lost a multi-year quit. I did ok with abstention, but never really tackled recovery or confronted the underlying addiction. As a result, I let that quit slip away, for stupid reasons that it was all too easy to rationalize. But no more stinkin thinkin. This time is different for me, too. 

Stay vigilant, especially during times when you’re feeling down or bored - that’s when temptation likes to pounce.

You’re DOING this @tocevoD!!

• Like 3

Your positivity on this quit being THE QUIT is a good thing. Keep up that attitude and carry on day by day. The magic of time will heal your desire for nicotine.

Nothing beats being quit!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Little update. Coming up to 3weeks 3days in the next few hours. It may seem like I am counting the days because I've just posted that but that couldn't be further from the truth. Truth is I've hardly ever thought about it. I haven't been back the gym as yet. That's the next step. I'm wary of doing too much too soon and crashing and burning. I know the pitfalls and dangers from previous quits. The bravado that can bring you down. I've still got a few big hurdles to pass. The next one is probably the biggest. So I need to keep plugging on the way I am doing.

• Like 5

What a great update, @tocevoD!! So glad that you are making headway and are putting smoking behind you. You’re smart to stay vigilant… this addiction is wily and tends to lurk in the tall grass for a while. Stay strong - you CAN do it. (You ARE doing it!) NOPE… Not One Puff Ever.

IMG_9944.GIF

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just a another update. I'm now at 1m 2w 5days. Sadly there has been 1 relapse day. This happened on the 31st August. A night out at the snooker with a few drinks saw me buy a pack on the way home along with a few more beers. I felt a massive pang of regret the next day. That was just 2weeks and a day ago. I'll have to change my quit date now. I have been having strong urges since. Need to resist as much as I can. Get through tonight and start a new week of work again. The thoughts don't seem to be there as much when in work. Sunday is always the worst for reasons I've explained already.

Sorry you decided to smoke again , 

Resetting your tracker is the right thing to do . 
Knowing your danger signs is a good start, 

you can make plans and have some tools ready to use..

Many of us stayed away from Alcohol until we felt stronger .

Ive seen countless of quits list due to drinking 

Msybe this is something that may help in the future 🐸

• Like 2