Hello 👋

Posted (edited)

Welcome to QuitTrain @StruggleDaily and congratulations on 6 day smoke free. 

Yes, a lot of us here can attest that the early days are tough.  You are reversing a habit/addiction that has controlled your life for years.  But, you are doing a great thing in quitting and it does get better and the early struggles are worth quitting for good.

For starters, I would suggest reading the "Your First Days nicotine free" thread below....

and also read the "How Do I Quit Smoking" post linked to below...

There is a lot of good info in the Quit Smoking Discusssions part of this site.

I hope you stick around.  There is a lot of knowledge and support you can get here.  You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello and welcome .

Congratulations on your great Quit. 
I too smoked for over 52 years , freeing yourself is the best feeling , if I can do it , you can too. 
We have some great information here to get you going , 

Get to know the board and it members , we are one big happy family , 

Take the daily NOPE .. it’s a great way to start each day , 

Looking forward to getting to know you better  !!

• Like 3

Hi @StruggleDaily  Welcome aboard the train!  So glad you found us and very happy to know that you quit smoking.  I know those early days are extremely rough, we all know.  The longer you go without a cigarette, the easier it will become. I promise you that!  Come on here to vent and we will help you along the way.  What I did in the beginning was to take cinnamon sticks and make believe they were a cigarette.  I would suck in the air from the hole and then blow out make believe smoke, plus it tasted really nice.  If you don't like cinnamon you can use cut up straws.  Also drinking a lot of water helps, do anything to take your mind off of smoking.  There is a games section with lots of fun games.  One of them is called Chicks and Sticks which we all have a blast playing. Check it out.   Glad to have you with us and hope you will stick around.  Good luck to you and have a great day! 😃

• Like 4

Hello @StruggleDaily.

I too was a 50 year plus smoker. Just celebrated 10 months clean. Also cold Turkey this time along with the Allen Carr Easy Way book.

Just work through the first days and weeks stacking up the time clean. Very soon your quit will become something you have pride in achieving each and everyday clean. Then it becomes something that you realize is too important to give up knowing you will just have to start over....

My health was a major push toward being clean, Heart and cardiovascular issue's along with diabetes and with the lack of oxygen from compromised lung function was killing me.

Black and white the difference from where I was.

We all know we want to quit its starting the process that takes a bit of willpower, which you already crushed that. Spend as much time on the Train as possible, read what others have written, just move around the site and make friends. We are all in the same boat and have been through the same process.  The more time you are here the less time you have to think about craving smoking. Move around and play the games, which lets you meet more friends.

Stay positive stay happy, if you find yourself being depressed blame the nicodemon and smile. (it pisses him off).

Always remember you are battling an addiction that will work on your subconscious to try and make you cave. Always let time pass before you act and find a different mindset or a HAPPY PLACE.

Stay away from your usual smoking area's as time goes by those habits disappear and become just faint memory's. Mine was to light up when I stepped out of almost any door that led to the outside. That one sucked at first but the sugar free Jolly Ranchers in my old cig pocket destroyed those.

I don't know how much sugar free gum and candy i used in the beginning but it was a boat load.

Stick with it. Time heals all wounds...

KTQ

Cheers Stew.

• Like 2

Welcome Struggle Daily!

Quitting is doable for all but you gotta commit absolutely and without reservation. Under NO circumstances will you stick a cig in your mouth and light it.

Yest it's tough initially; really tough but it does get easier with each passing day that you don't smoke. You may not realize it at first but it is getting better with time you put in not smoking.

Read everything you can here and stay active on the site. People will guide you along the way.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard @StruggleDaily! Glad to have you join the Quit Train community.

You’ve made it through Hell Week already! That’s no small feat. Keep at it and you never will need to go through the withdrawal misery again.

I smoked for 40+ years and it was really hard at first.  But it DOES get better. Stay strong,  and give your body and mind time to adjust. You won’t regret it. 

You can do this!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I am Dane I was 5 months quit and then chewed on some nicotine gum  after cravings got to

bad  i still haven’t smoked but am very on edge  after yesterday chewing on the gum yesterday I guesse even though I didn’t smoke I still have took  a big step back 

• Like 4

Welcome to QuitTrain @Dane  You are making a great decision in quitting smoking.

Yeah, you did make a considerable step back by re-introducing nicotine into your body after quitting smoking and the gum.  Still, though, if you are back on the gum, follow the instructions and do not smoke.  Getting off the gum is important at some point but staying off the cigs is most important now.

I hope you stick around.  There is a lot of knowledge and support you gain here.

• Like 2

It's all part of the quit @Dane, just hang tight and get through this rocky patch. The first few weeks are the roughest that's why we call them hell week, heck week and wtf week.

• Like 3

The not having a cigarette is the most important part.  The re-introducing of nicotine through the gum is why you are feeling awful again.  It is an aid to ween you off nicotine and starting that back is tough on you.

Stay committed to not smoking and you can get through this.

• Like 3

Hi how long will I feel awful for I have been unable to concentrate   And i am feeling sick I feel actually worse than my first week of quitting wich was hard  enough  I am determined To get through it  with out giving in 

It's different for everyone @Dane, try sucking on something sweet. A lollipop works great because you can't smoke while you're sucking on that. Also distraction, distraction, distraction. Get your mind focused on something else so that you're not dwelling on your misery. I had a really bad first few months too and it was because I was dwelling on it so trust me. Hang in there, we're all proof it can be done

• Like 2

Hello and welcome Dane …

whatever your feeling just  now is temporary, 

Your body is used to being fed poisons  so many times a day .. it has a lot of adjusting to do just now. 
Be patient , 

Stay close to the board to help you through the rough times 

Glad you found us 😁

• Like 1

Cheers I am going to get a lollipop  now  lol I have  some movies  to watch tonight so should take my mind off it. I had no problem  quitting first time  5 months ago but  after  yesterdays. Big mistake. I went back to step one  I have quit for 8’years once but then my grandpa died  and I was back on

them  again big big mistake I am determained this time is  for good I  watched my great  grandpa die of copd so  I don’t want to go that way plus my mum has just beat lung cancer she smoked 40 a day for 25 yers but has sucsefully quit  so she is proof it can and will be done 

Hi @Dane Welcome aboard!!  So glad you stopped smoking.  I know it's so difficult, we all do, but the longer you stay quit the easier it becomes.  What helped me in the beginning was using cinnamon sticks as fake cigarettes.  I would make believe I was smoking by sucking air from the hole and make believe I was blowing it out.  Plus the cinnamon tasted really nice.  If you don't like cinnamon, use cut up straws.  Keep coming on this board because we are a great group of people who are here to support each other.  The first couple of months were very difficult for me but they really helped me through it and now I'm proud to say that I am smoke free over a year!😁  And, you will do it too!  Good luck to you! 🙂

• Like 1

The addiction to nicotine is causing your brain to dump adrenaline into your body.  Nicotine has modified what your brain expects and breaking the addiction will take time.  A good attitude helps and understanding that not smoking won't hurt you (you maybe won't like it in the short term).  Reading helped me to understand what I was up against.

Hi guys feeling much better today after a tough two days. Especially yesterday   Can now get on with life the gums in the bin  and  I am feeling fit and my fighting spirit is back 

• Like 1