Shattering the illusion that smoking is enjoyable.

Hey guys, you’ll probably be hearing from me a lot cause I’m on day 3 and it’s rough. I think my biggest issue right now, and what the nicotine addiction is using to try and trick me into smoking, is that I actually enjoyed smoking and used it as a reward. I know rationally that smoking isn’t enjoyable and there are zero health benefits or anything in them that would make you “relax” but I’m too used to smoking after I finish cleaning, or watering plants, or working and I always think of how I “earned” it. So stupid. Any advice to get out of this frame of thinking? 

• Like 4

@kenzie_peyton, the answer is time quit. And educating yourself on our addiction. Most of us thought we enjoyed smoking until we had some time quit and found how free that feels. 

I used to repeat over and over "all good(?) things must come to an end." 

But I was dumb and didn't stop until my breathing got so bad that I had to. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

How long have you smoked for @kenzie_peyton? Think about how many times you have unconsciously conditioned your brain to believe that satisfying that horrible withdrawal feeling you always got after time passed from smoking you last cig. was indeed pleasurable. Dozens, hundreds, thousands of times over the years. 

And when you got that first hit, your brain is thinking ... Ahhhh. That right there is conditioning yourself to believe smoking is "enjoyable". IT'S NOT! it's simply getting relief from mounting withdrawal symptoms setting in because you're addicted to nicotine.

When we decide to quit, we are telling our addiction; go ahead! Bring on the withdrawals ... do your best! I have committed to ignoring you and I know with time, those withdrawal symptoms will fade (because my mentors on the train have said so!!).

And yes; we all used smoking as a reward for all sorts of things and that's part of the reason quitting and feeling comfortable about it takes awhile. I quit in January when it was cold and snowy where I live. I wondered what would happen the first time I cut my lawn the following spring because I ALWAYS used a smoke afterward as a "reward". Turns out, by the time it came around it wasn't such a big deal afterall. Instead of lighting up a smoke, I grabbed a cold beer, sat out on my deck and breathed in the wonderful smell of fresh cut grass - something I could never smell as a smoker.

The very difficult times of your early quit do not last all that long in the grand scheme of things. Start making a concentrated effort to think of all the good things that quitting will bring to you and stop listening to the lies your addiction wants you to beieve.

Make a list and look at it often: Breathing better; really tasting your food again, smelling better to others, saving a pile of $$, not looking like some kind of outcast to non-smokers as you stand outside puffing away, and best of all ... FREEDOM! Freedom from nicotine running your life each & every day. That's HUGE!!!

We all enjoy those things and more as quitters. Why not come join us?

Oh yeah; post all you want. We all did when we were in the midst of our withdrawal days. We know how upside down life can be during that time. If you find yourself up at ungodly hours looking for something to do, go to the Games Page. That's a good place to waste a bit of time keeping your mind occupied :) 

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 4

Sounds like that Nico Monster in your head is trying to lure you back in addiction..

Its war games ..you have to win each battle to finally win the war ..

I never thought of myself as an addict …No….I was  a lady who just enjoyed a cigarette after each chore …after all I had just done some ironing or hoovering ect.

I kept  my rewards for 52 years ..

It wasn’t until I was told I might lose my feet if I continue ..I made the decision….Feet or cigarettes….I made the right choice …

You are making the right choice too…never doubt that …upwards and onwards x

• Like 4

Great post, Kenzie! The more you question your addictive patterns, the better equipped you are to break free of them.

The thing with heavy smoking is that it was an organizing principle of our life. It punctuated everything… waking up, going to bed, working, eating, coping (or not) with feelings. Without smoking it feels weird to live without a powerful stimulant in those interstitial life moments. That empty feeling passes.  But till it does, fill those moments with something else punchy… an ice cold drink, a huge body stretch, whatever.

The addiction tells us this fake story that smoking was gratifying. But that’s stinkin thinkin, romancing the smoke. The bare truth is that it’s NOT gratifying! The “ahhh” never lasts. The ONLY thing smoking ever did was make our junked up nicotine receptors want another hit. And another. Then another. Our addiction had us chasing gratification that we never could hold onto. 

Enough of that! Smack that craving with a big ol NOPE snd reclaim your life! You can do this, Kenzie. 

• Like 4

Even though at the time we think we enjoyed smoking, it was the addiction taking over.  I also would "reward" myself after doing things.  After I would come home from food shopping, I would have to have that cig, after coming home from anything that I did out of the house I would have that cig.  After eating and countless other things, so you are definitely not alone.  We all did it.  Try and do something else after you finish your chores so you don't think of smoking.  Trust me all these symptoms WILL come to an end.  I was a basket case in the beginning.  You can ask anyone here how I was those first couple of months.  I was climbing the walls, I was crying to everyone, it was a horror show, but eventually the withdrawal both physically and mentally became less and less.  I will not lie and say I don't get them anymore, because even after a year smoke free I do get them every once in a while, but they don't last more than a minute or so and then I just shove them out of my head and I'm fine, and you will be too!! Try the cinnamon sticks as I suggested in my other post.   They really did help me and I used them for about a month or so.  I know you can do this because you are here and you want to do it!  We were all in the same boat as you are, every single one of us, so we know exactly what you are going through!!  Hang in there Kenzie!!!  Take a deep breath and just move forward, do everything, except smoke!! 🙂

• Like 2

@kenzie_peyton  Here is a link to one of the posts I made the day after I quit smoking last year.  I was having a meltdown, one of many in the early days!  

I'm NOT crying anymore! And you won't either!! 😁  You know what helps, TIME, TIME, AND TIME!!  You know the old saying, "Time heals all wounds"....well it's so true!!  The longer you remain without smoking, the easier it will get and everyone on this forum will tell you the same thing.  Good luck to you, have a great holiday weekend, and we are here for you, if you need us!! 🙂

• Like 1