What's For Dinner: Part 2

Leanna

9 hours ago, Reciprocity said:

No marinade for those just a light brush with olive oil or mustard on just as a binder for the spices I add. I then sprinkle with SPG (Salt, Pepper, Garlic).

The other thing I do, which I've found makes them plump up a bit and keeps them nice and juicy during the cook, is before putting the oil or mustard binder on & spices on I boil water then pour the boiling water into a bowl where I've put the wings until they're covered. Let them sit in the hot water for 5 mins. Then pull them out and put the binder on then spice them. 

Give that a try sometime, no matter what your cooking method is. I think you'll like the result. It takes out some of the grease from the fat layer under the skin yet premiates the meat keeping it moist through the cooking process. I use just med. heat - nothing super high heat as that dries anything out.

I find the biggest issue people have with wings is over-cooking them to be safe with the internal temp. I never use a meat themometer on my wings and have never had any issues with food poisioning. A little pink on meat close to the bone is not an issue in my experience. Pink but not blood red!

(Just a note: I would use a little mustard as a binder for the spices rather than oil if cooking in an oven - for safety reasons there'll be no mustard taste after cooking if you use just a thin coating painted on with a basting brush).

That sounds great!  I don't do grilling, but my husband does, so the next time we have wings, I will have him do it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tonight was a light, summer evening meal. Twin Lobster Rolls.

Fresh lobster from Atlantic Canada cooked yesterday and chilled in the fridge. Then chopped into chunks with some chopped green onion & celery all mixed together with a little mayo, salt & pepper and served on a bed of romaine lettus in a lightly buttered and toasted bun.

Quite tastey 🤤

LobsterRolls.jpg.03a2823fc1498ff170a6567d9cfce3b7.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Paul723 said:

Are you vegan or cooking for someone who is?  

I'm sort of involuntarily vegan. For medical reasons I can't eat meat or chicken, or dairy.. I can have egg, some fish (flathead, whiting, barramundi) and most shellfish. I also have to low or no gluten. 

I still cook meat for others and stare at it longingly.

• 4 weeks later...

So here's a pictorial progression of my bacon wrapped scallops ... with chunks of pinapple that I made the other day.

Parcooked the bacon:

ScalParcookedBacon.jpg.01d8321ecb8f3de1c63608ef8ad30aa1.jpg

Cutting up the pinapple chunks:

ScalPinnappleChunks.jpg.e87625ace77b8eb1bd280885ca8cd506.jpg

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 1

Scallops:

ScalThawedScallops.jpg.32729a0c274fc0ca877243990efaa58d.jpg

Assembly area:

ScalAssemblyArea.jpg.077f015f24f995de6971f7a0cb91bcab.jpg

Ready for broiling:

ScalReadyForBroiling.jpg.50a86d7546ef109a7771a24ed93e4fae.jpg

Ready to Eat:

ScalReadyToEat.jpg.1780c9f7e6ae8ae65350388fa364bf71.jpg

The pinapple chunks add a nice flavour to the combination of scallops & bacon but if you use a dip for the scallops before eating them, the pinapple doesn't usually go well with most seafood dips so ... pick your poison :) 

Edited by Reciprocity
  • Like 2