New quitter

I'm a 20 yr a pack a.day smoker and I have decided march 11 as my quit day. Please pray, I succeed this time. I have tried multiple times before and failed. Scared to fail again.

• Like 7

Hey there. I'm only a few days in myself. I've done a good amount of research this time though. One of the main things is mindset. Try to get yourself to saying "I won't fail" or "I'll succeed" by the time your quit date comes. I know it sounds a little lame, but it works for me in other aspects of life as well. Keep repeating positive thoughts to yourself. Negative thoughts create negative outcomes. Hope this helps a little. Good luck on your journey.

• Like 8

Welcome to you both.  You are both doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  It is a life-changing experience over time.  I hope you stick around.  Lots of knowledge and experience you can get at this site.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, jillar said:

Welcome @Arnolder, congratulations on deciding to quit. Why wait when you're here now? ☺ 

Cos there is a big get together over the weekend and I don't want to start today and fail then...better to have a blast before I start saving myself and my life....

• Like 8

Hey, @Arnolder. Welcome aboard! Glad you have made the decision to quit. Knowledge is power - learn all you can about nicotine addiction so that you’re well-prepared for withdrawal, and equip yourself with a lot of ways to distract and soothe yourself at the beginning. The pain of withdrawal passes… you CAN do this if you’re truly determined. A lot of us found freedom after decades of being heavy smokers, so we’re living proof that it’s possible. We’re here to help!

• Like 6

Since that's the case, you can help prepare yourself by not s.oking in the areas that you normally do. This will help you disassociate those areas with smoking so you don't (hopefully) get triggered by them ☺ 

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Arnolder and Justquit83. Since you are already here, why not just grab a seat on the train. We are a group of well adjusted quitters who would love to help you any way we can to get you to your forever quit. There are a lot of videos and articles here to help as well. This is the perfect time to say enough is enough. I am stronger that my addiction. If you are not ready now, then we'll wait until you are.

• Like 8

Hey @Arnolder! You’re going to be doing a great thing…it does suck, for me there was anger, rage, crying, sadness, seemingly like life wouldn’t be the same so it’s ok that your nervous….but it allll goes away. All these people here experienced those feelings at different degrees and now they’re not anymore. So just keep in mind it does go away the uncomfortableness. Jillar taught me only way to go is through. And it’s true. When you don’t know what to do just keep going. And embrace the suck. When u want one u can acknowledge “I want one”, bc u do it’s addiction lol, but just were not gonna have one right now. And ya keep going. Come here to post anytime! 

• Like 7

Welcome to you both to the quit train! The previous posts pretty much says it all but it`s tough at first and you have to really want this, Focus on now but keep your eyes on the life of smoke free life awaits you. I believe when you reach that you will realize that it was not as hard as you thought it would be. I was a pack a day for over 30 years and my regret is I waited so long. Stay close and post S.O.S. if you need it. That`s what we`re hear for. Best wishes to you both.

• Like 7

Welcome @Arnolder and @JustQuit83so glad you found us!  Quitting smoking isn't easy that's for sure but in the long run it's so worth it in so many ways!  I am relatively a newbie as I'm quit 9 months.  2nd time for me, first time I quit for 6 years but this is the last time I will quit.  I don't want to go through the early days of withdrawal ever again.  Anyway, my advice is to take it one day at a time, even one hour at a time.  Try and focus on things that don't make you think of smoking.  The beginning is very difficult as everyone here can attest to but it does get better.  The longer you don't smoke, the less cravings you will get.  What helped me was taking a cinnamon stick and pretending it was a cigarette.  I would hold it like a cigarette and suck in air from the stick, plus it tasted very good.  If you don't like cinnamon, you can cut straws and use those.  Stay close to this forum as there is lots of good advice and help for you.  Remember, everyone here had a first day of quitting, so we all know exactly what you are going through!  Good luck to you both and have a great day!!😁

Edited by QuittingGirl
  • Like 7

Welcome to both Quitters.

we have two spare seats next to each other . 
Read as much as you can   Watch all the videos , there is a ton of information here , start on the Main Discussion Thread 

Those pinned in green will get you started , 

we are a friendly bunch , don’t be afraid to ask anything , we have some great Newbies , to travel along with , 

Believe in yourselves , you can do it . X

• Like 7

@Arnolder and @JustQuit83

Welcome aboard the Train.

Arnolder date setting is a very important step, "the decision to quit".  Be careful to not let the addiction tell you that another date would be easier, or better for some reason. This addiction is very tactful and may at the absolute right moment work on you with a quit date that may make more sense!!  Just realize this is the addictions way to hold you and get you BACK in it's clutches even before you quit.. The problem with setting dates is it also gives the addiction time to prep for its reasoning on why the time is wrong, just don't listen...push forward!!! Yes it does sound like the addiction has the inside tract,  HMMM?

Each day quit is a win and will become more important to keep.....

Remember it only takes 3 day's to get the nicotine out of your system so lots of water and rest.  As Jillar stated, disassociating yourself with the area's and times when you enjoyed and were drawn to light up are the first lessons and "tests" to accomplish. I used sugar free hard candy to help.

Each time you DON'T light up as usual is a win and changes the needs and connections we have made through the past. The craving's that are based on our personal scenario get weaker each time we realize it for what it is and we deny it. I personally found my safe areas and turned them into my Castles.

Remember you aren't special to this addiction and all aboard the train have been through very similar issues in our quits, so use everyone and look back at their early quits to get some comparisons. Time is on your side here and the most important thing is the outcome of LIFE so use it to your benefit and just do what it takes.

As an almost 50 year smoker with quite a few serious quits that failed, the horrible addiction created health issues that helped to force a more serious quit. This certainly is not an uncommon issue to have the ultimate end of a smoker open a persons eye's to the quit or die scenario!

You may find that Allen Carrs Easy Way book gives you some help. It really did push me over the hump.

Jump off that rollercoaster and onto the train.

@JustQuit83 I hope the above is some information that you can use for your quit also. Stay on this forum as much as possible and burn time reading what it takes and just loose yourself here. Just think you don't smell like cigs anymore... Benefit's will just keep coming I love the deep breaths that I thought were gone for good. Be careful when the sense of smell comes back!! Those good smells are great but the bad ones are really SHITTY.. LOL. 

Remember stay happy, the old Nicodemon loves depression but really hates Happiness!!

Cheers and KTQ

Stew.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 6:37 PM, JustQuit83 said:

Hey there. I'm only a few days in myself. I've done a good amount of research this time though. One of the main things is mindset. Try to get yourself to saying "I won't fail" or "I'll succeed" by the time your quit date comes. I know it sounds a little lame, but it works for me in other aspects of life as well. Keep repeating positive thoughts to yourself. Negative thoughts create negative outcomes. Hope this helps a little. Good luck on your journey.

How are you doing ???

Edited by Arnolder
  • Like 2

@Arnolder Still going strong. Cravings are getting fewer and far between. Also, less intense for the most part. It's all about your mindset. Stay positive and push through. One minute, one hour, one day at a time until we get to weeks, months, and years.   We got this!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, JustQuit83 said:

@Arnolder Still going strong. Cravings are getting fewer and far between. Also, less intense for the most part. It's all about your mindset. Stay positive and push through. One minute, one hour, one day at a time until we get to weeks, months, and years.   We got this!

Great job JQ....

• Like 4

The two of you are doing really great!!😁 Before you know it you will be a month quit and then 2, 3 and 4 and so on!  The time just flies by because the longer you stay quit, the less urges you get and after a while you won't be thinking of smoking all day long.  When I first quit, I would think of smoking all day long, every minute it was on my mind.  Now at 9 months, maybe a couple times a day.  I'm hoping by the time I get to a year quit, I won't think of it at all.  So just hang in there and it will happen to you two as well!! 👍

• Like 8

Quitting smoking is one of those things where posting a lot seems to help.  

Feel free to post your feelings, experiences here.  Post often - several times a day, cry, rant, babble, spew existential philosophy, whatever.

We get it as we’ve all been through it and done the same.

Oh, and stomp on toothpaste and eat junk!

• Like 9

That's right ^^!

Post here as often as you can and bare your soul. Tell us how & what you're feeling. We've all been there and we've all experienced everything you'll go through. It really does help to know ... you're NOT alone! Distraction is key in the early days. Play the games here. Get to know others who'll you'll be able to relate to because we're all quitters. Quitting is a journey you need to take to learn how to live again without smokes. Be patient, stay committed! You need to ratchet up you're commitment to stay quit to stay ahead of your addiction's desire to smoke again. You can win if you stay the course!

• Like 9