Keeping NRT In Case Of Emergency

Chrysalis

This morning, MQ highlighted one of Joel Spitzer's videos entitled Keeping NRT In Case of Emergency.  In this video, Joel makes the very good point that nicotine is nicotine is nicotine no matter what delivery method one uses. Reaching for any type of NRT when you are feeling stressed-- even very VERY stressed (Joel was referring to the September 11th terrorist attacks) is just going to re-activate your nicotine addiction. He says "Don't do it!". 

What Joel says makes sense. But there is more to it than that. I am getting very aggravated with what I will call the "quit smoking industry" ignoring the very high relapse rates among former smokers. Depending on who you read and the particular circumstances, anywhere from 66% to 90% of people who quit smoking relapse within one year. That bugs the heck out of me! Why is that??!! What can we do to help prevent that??!! 

For myself, I have decided that I will use my chosen form for NRT to prevent a relapse (in my case that's Chantix, but it could be any NRT). No, I'm not going to carry it in my pocket so I can pop a Chantix when I get a flat tire. I have and will implement every and any technique I can to keep my quit during stressful times-- exercise, deep breathing, meditation, posting here, etc., etc. Most of the time those things work. But if push comes to shove and I find myself fighting craves day after day I am going to take advantage of these helpful (and to me, miraculous) quit smoking aids to make sure that I do NOT relapse. 

I am sick of the quit smoking industry pushing the dogmatic view that says, "Once you have quit smoking, it's better to relapse than to go back to using an NRT." because that's basically what I hear Joel saying in this video. I think we need to do more to prevent relapses including trying some unconventional approaches.

• Like 3

I think the relapse rate would go down if more quitters got educated about nicotine addiction before or while they quit.  I like the saying, "An educated quit is a strong quit."  It's easy to underestimate the power of an addiction.

• Like 6

Chantix is not classified as NRT, in my understanding, because there is no nicotine.

Chantix does bind to the nicotine receptors and one does feel withdrawal symptoms after Chantix so I assume that it would work in pretty much the same way as patches or gum or e-cigs. 

Chantix does bind to the nicotine receptors and one does feel withdrawal symptoms after Chantix so I assume that it would work in pretty much the same way as patches or gum or e-cigs. 

My only point is that there is not nicotine, so it is not classified as NRT.

• Like 2

I think the relapse rate would go down if more quitters got educated about nicotine addiction before or while they quit.  I like the saying, "An educated quit is a strong quit."  It's easy to underestimate the power of an addiction.

Paul, I agree that getting educated about the nature of nicotine addiction and how to overcome it is crucial for having a strong quit. But still, if you look at all the people here at QT and those at "the other site", most of those people ARE educated about nicotine addiction and most of them still relapse. Frankly, I think that the vast majority of people once they are educated and if they truly want to quit more than they want to smoke will be able to maintain their quit without any external aids. But for those who are about to relapse, I say grab for whatever help you can rather than light a cigarette!

• Like 1

Paul, I agree that getting educated about the nature of nicotine addiction and how to overcome it is crucial for having a strong quit. But still, if you look at all the people here at QT and those at "the other site", most of those people ARE educated about nicotine addiction and most of them still relapse. Frankly, I think that the vast majority of people once they are educated and if they truly want to quit more than they want to smoke will be able to maintain their quit without any external aids. But for those who are about to relapse, I say grab for whatever help you can rather than light a cigarette!

Hi,just want ed to say....don't know a lot about the other board...but if you look at QT.....most do not relapse.....

We have a very good sucess rate here....education is important.....and having a strong support team behind you makes all the difference too....

This is just me.....I wouldn't go back hrt ,once I had rid my body of nicortine.....

But as I have always said......all roads lead to Rome......whatever works for you.....

My best xx

• Like 2

I understand keeping Chantix around as a safety net.  I got a refill of my prescription after the initial 90 days, because I told myself I would take a pill before I smoked.  My logical brain realized that one pill would do virtually nothing, but it made me feel safer in my quit.  However, I think if someone has been quit for some weeks or months, that popping on a patch or chewing nicotine gum is only going to make matters worse, because the physical addiction is done.  I say this based on the law of addiction:

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause reestablishment
of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Now, is it better to do that than light a cigarette?  Yes, but why awaken the addiction?

• Like 5

hmmm, interesting convo.

I relapsed 14 years ago after 364 days. My quit was partly educated, after 3 months I stopped looking for help and just cracked on. However I did not face triggers in that quit, I ran away from all stress and "protected" the quit. I even moved out of my Mums house at 3 weeks as they all smoked and I couldn't hack it. Then on that day my then fiance called off our wedding, 6 months from our wedding date. I had a big dress in our spare room, it was all planned! I was obviously mortified, whereas now I deeply releived - he didn't age well at all :)  Anyway, he hated smoking so I bought a packet of cigs, opened his wardrobe and lit one in an ashtray, wafting the smoke towards his clothes - I had no intention of smoking - however I picked up that cig and smoked it whilst blowing the smoke in the wardrobe...then i picked up to 40 a day up for another 14 years till March just gone.

Anyway my point. In my humble opinion. We have to accept that at times of stress our thoughts will turn but there's always a choice.

I have no probs with people doing what's right for them by the way, but for me, any form of nrt or whatever would be a backward step.

Education for me is about understanding "why" I feel the way I do and working with it/around it to prevent relapse. For my whole smoking life I looked for the feel good/easy way...for me there's no easy way to quit...it's simply trudging through it now.

Today I have craves, they are not bad and I understand it's because I feel unwell and previously this would have been time to sit and smoke whereas normally I am quite active so I notice having to sit more. I know this so I accept it is for today and keep moving forward.

I kinda think as a smoker I was all about instant gratification with nicotine. I like that as a non smoker I have to work harder to get some feel good endorphins going through exercise and manage the understanding of how my addicted brain will work. I know I will struggle, but I also know I won't smoke so I don't want or need to prepare for that eventuality. Even under massive stresses I have faced the craves head on and accepted they are part of the journey but not the destination if that makes sense.

So that's me but if I thought my quit was at risk, truly at risk, I would do anything to hold it. x

• Like 10

on a personal level education to nicotine is the key, I must have my eyes and ears open and really listen and understand about this addiction, I must watch closely to the ones who have long term quits as that`s where I want to be

people who are still here after 1,2,3,6 years

NRT is good for some people until they are educated and learn enough about this addiction before moving on and can be nicotine free and I am a firm believer in what ever works for you to get you to this point 

but to go backwards once free of nicotine does not make sense to me personally - its very risky to say the least

for me education and support has been the factor that has stopped me jumping off the edge, changing mind set has made things easier

suck on a straw or soggy sock but nicotine back in my body - no way!

this is just me and I will do what I need to, to save my quit 

people will relapse, its a sad fact of addiction some will come back and some will not, I feel its about how bad do you want it?

• Like 4

Paul, Quit Train only stated in April of this year so we don't have a 1-year history yet. If you like stats, you might be interested in checking the "Members" tab, and then "More Search Options". Let us know what you find out.

Paul, I can't "quote" on the computer I am using, but the Summer 2013 Quitters are just under 50%.

Edited to add:  It is important to remember that I did not begin tracking the Summer 2013 quitters until October, so everyone was at least two months, already...

• Like 2

What Joel is talking about is putting nicotine back into your system after you've quit because of stressful events such as 9/11.  If you're carrying nicotine to use in times of stress you're still believing that it will calm you down.  This is physically impossible because nicotine raises your BP and courses adrenaline through your body.  Once you put nicotine back into your body you're creating dependency on it again and "left unchecked" it will....  Chantix does not have nicotine so you're not introducing it back into your system. 

Joel is not saying that it's better to relapse than to take NRT.  He's saying that it's not a good idea for former smokers to carry NRT because they'll use it, become addicted to nicotine again and we all know the drill from there.  He's stating that it's not a good idea for the media and other entities to be telling former smokers to carry some form of NRT "just in case" because you've already quit so why start the dependency/withdrawal cycle all over again?  If I was selling NRT I would agree that former smokers should carry NRT because they'll use it but as somebody who wants people to quit for good, I have to agree with Joel.

Am I for NRT to quit smoking?  Yes!  Whatever works to quit, do it.  However, NRT should not be used instead of smoking but rather to help you quit.  There are stats on which method has the highest success rate and cold turkey is the clear winner but that doesn't mean that other methods don't work which is why Quit Train is open to other methods.

Nicotine does not reduce stress but provides the illusion that it does because you go into mild withdrawal when you need a cigarette and once you smoke, you relieve that withdrawal which gives the illusion of relieving stress when in fact the stress was created by the same drug that you're taking to relieve the stress in the first place.

Allen Carr was 100% against any form of NRT and he claimed that his clinics had a 90% success rate.  Again, Quit Train remains neutral on the subject but each of us are entitled to form our own opinions because what works for one may not work for another.

Ava used NRT and I'm thankful that she did because she's been quit for over a year and has a very, very strong quit.  :)

• Like 6

This is a great topic.  I agree with most that working through your cravings and figuring out what is causing it is key.  I do not agree that carrying around a NRT such as gum or patches is a good idea.  Even for those of us who vape with no nicotine juice, it is not a good idea to add back even a 6mg nicotine when craving.  The act of vaping alone usually tricks the mind into thinking you are smoking, but you are not getting that drug or the chemicals that you get from real cigarettes.  Sometimes it is just the hand to mouth motion.  I can't explain it, but there are days when I vape more than normal, and days that I hardly vape at all.  I am hoping to be done with everything by years end.  However, I do agree that once free of nicotine addiction, it is not beneficial nor is it advisable to use even just a little because it will start that addiction all over again.

Just my opinion.  

• Like 4

The Quit is about Freedom from Nicotine, yes ?

Stay as far away from Nicotine as you can.

Protect your Quit from the very beginning with Everything you got.

Do what you need.  Do whatever it takes.

As Doreen says, 'All Road Lead To Rome (and Roam)'

Be very, very Good to your Own Sweet Self !

Me, I guzzle from the bottomless cup of N O P E.

Always so handy !

But, in Early Times, when I wasn't researching Primal Scream Therapy,  

I also used the famous S&M Device of Snapping Rubber-Bands around my Wrist,

training brain to associate crave with Bad instead of Nicotine's Faux Reward.

I tell you, I felt Crazy, and Oh So Ridiculous,  tending to the giant welts on my wrists from my snap snap snapping

but, magic was wrought (and lickity split too).

Later, a poultice of Witch Hazel to care for unsightly bruises.

• Like 6

Interesting topic.

I had the doctor say exactly the same to me Chrys, back in May. I needed to see him and we discussed my stopping cigs the June before. I told him since I saw the last doctor (check up last Oct) that I was free of the eig.

He told me, and made me promise never to smoke a cigarette again, he had me attend the practise quit smoking clinic for the last 14 years. He could not stress enough the importance of never putting tobacco smoke back in my body, but, did say if ever I felt on edge to use my ecig. He went onto explain the huge difference between the two.

At first it annoyed me that he would think I would crave a cig! Then, reality kicked in and to be fair my past 14 year history had given him every reason to think that I might go back to my old ways. So I see what he meant, if I was in fact in a position of calling it at day, and stopping this quit then better that than a cigarette. I understood his logic. Luckily over a year on thoughts sort of thoughts no longer exist for me- that thought ship has sailed.

Interestingly though, I notice that they have increased the time to safely use NRT. I think it was to six months on one of the Patches sites I read a few months ago? That leads me to believe, that for some people, the current 3 months in the UK May not be enough? I say this purely because my personal experience was the cigarette craves stopped after 6 months, my body seemed to return to normal (night sweats stopped/periods came back) and that was when I knew I was over the ciggy withdrawal and cracked on with ridding myself of nicotine.

I think anyone in serious risk of a relapse should consult with their doctor and talk through their options.

• Like 3

I hope that everybody watches the video posted just above this post.

I relapsed after the 2013 Washington Navy Yard shootings after my boss was shot in the head.  I had been quit for 9 months or so.  This was no reason to relapse at all.  Smoking did nothing for me and didn't help a single bit with the stress, horror and loss that I was dealing with.  Thankfully, my relapse lasted only for one week and ~1 pack of cigarettes as I quickly felt the power of this addiction and I feel that had I not quit when I did, I would have been fighting like hell to quit when I finally would have decided to.

Nicotine is what we crave and erroneously believe calms us and helps us cope.  I can tell you without hesitation that the notion that smoking somehow relaxes us is a big fat lie.  In midst of my nightmare, smoking did not relax me, calm me or even channel my thoughts to other things.  It did nothing but wake up the addiction.  No need to reintroduce nicotine into your body after you've worked so hard to get rid of it and all of the hazards that it poses.  You see, for us, when we willingly put the drug nicotine back into our bodies we wake up the beast and place ourselves at very serious risk of smoking again.

Please watch the video posted above because it gives more insight into the video in which Chrysalis is talking about.

• Like 7

Only thing i can add to this is through my entire life of trying to quit (100 times at least)

i always had a safety pack of cigarettes around just in case!

That just in case happened again and again and again!!!!

The only way i was able to beat it this time is to have no safety cigarettes around!

If I was going to fail, I would have to go out to the store and buy them!

This would give me time to think about it and  hopefully get back on track!

It has been working for me so far!

If your heart is in it 100% you will be ok!

but this is me!

• Like 4

I think talking about the reasons for relapse is a pretty powerful thing. I did wonder MQ, why after 9 months, but then I read what you said above and I can't imagine. ((MQ))

Chrys, I think for people who like to think/ maybe over think?? We will always wonder why. But that's ok, some people are the thinkers and some are the do'ers. If we stay alert and vigilant and engage methods we trust, we will hold on. It reminds me of something I heard and I can't remember where, but it was this... "there is nothing to fear but fear itself". x

• Like 2