What Was Your Quit Smoking Goal?

sharonsiff

Last question today, I promise ;)

So what was your goal, what did you hang onto when you have rough days/spells?

Mine was money, I was running of of spare cash fast! I didn't really want to stop but knew it would get to a point of going over drawn at the bank, so that gave me no choice.

I look back now and really do wish my goal was about things I have benefited from, my improved health, the peace of mind I now have, the pride I know have. But at the time it really was just about being a bit broke.

I know some say "ah but yes, once the money builds you feel you can afford to buy a few packs, and the cycle begins again" but that didn't happen for me. My goal kept me going, the fact I wasn't spending nearly £70 a week of family money on my self, how selfish of me when I look at it from this side.

Over to you....

• Like 6

I would also like to say mine was something noble, but the truth is, I was sick and tired of the hassle.  I went outside at home and work to smoke(hot, cold, wet, whatever, I went).  You can't smoke in any public places, so again, outside with me, missing conversations with friends and family.  Disparaging glances from others as they pass by.  Worrying about how long a meeting or flight would be so I could get my fix.  The thing that pushed me over the edge was that I got a brand new car.  I hadn't had a new car in 12 years.  It is so beautiful, and I just didn't want to stink it up or burn holes in it.  So, one more place not to smoke!  That was when I decided to hell with it, I'm quitting!

• Like 7

This one is easy....my goal......to not have my feet amputated....

Quit or amputation....thank heavens I made the right decision.....some don't......

I am so grateful you made the right decision, dear friend!

• Like 4

mine was health, I looked at my mum and aged 63 her life is pretty much over due to disabilities, she has lost all her confidence and is not the woman I knew

she was hard working, beautiful and a force to be reckoned with she was always thin yet she has blocked arteries so cannot walk far and this is all from smoking!

they could operate but she would have to quit smoking - she says its too late for her - of course we know its not - but she sees the smokes as her last comfort!

she gave up the booze years ago

while I am still young and strong and healthy enough - I thought that is dam well not going to be me!!

there were other reasons but for me this is "THE ONE"

• Like 10

This one is easy....my goal......to not have my feet amputated....

Quit or amputation....thank heavens I made the right decision.....some don't......

doreen i just cant imagine you having to have your feet chopped off it makes me cry just to think about it xxxx

• Like 2

doreen i just cant imagine you having to have your feet chopped off it makes me cry just to think about it xxxx

Tracey I'm the same age as your mum......I wish I could talk to her .....show her life can be wonderful.....I'm healthier now than I was 20years ago.....this is sad.....

• Like 6

What is this strange tongue with which you speak - "rough days/spells" ... The Sarge does not understand. Easy Peasy Lemon Breezy.

Sarge quit because (paraphrased) "5 years and heart attack, 10 years and death" is not something anyone wants to hear from The Doc at 42 years young.

Quitting was just a small part of a much greater lifestyle overhaul.

... and it worked.

Easy Peasy

• Like 9

Tracey I'm the same age as your mum......I wish I could talk to her .....show her life can be wonderful.....I'm healthier now than I was 20years ago.....this is sad.....

boy o boy i have tried doreen to the point we nearly fell out as i was so angry at her for not even trying and then saying well stop moaning you cant do anything if you are not prepared to help yourself what do want a bloody fairy to turn up 

we just stay off the subject now - i want whatever time we have to be peaceful but yes it is very sad :( x

• Like 2

What is this strange tongue with which you speak - "rough days/spells" ... The Sarge does not understand. Easy Peasy Lemon Breezy.

Sarge quit because (paraphrased) "5 years and heart attack, 10 years and death" is not something anyone wants to hear from The Doc at 42 years young.

Quitting was just a small part of a much greater lifestyle overhaul.

... and it worked.

Easy Peasy

Like you say Sarge, certainaly not something one wants to hear.

You may be pleased to hear that since I stopped I had full checks and my heart was aged at 40 years old, am not far off 45. Very lucky escape my end no doubt. I just wish I could have facial skin of a 20 year old, then I've cracked it! ;)

• Like 4

I'm backward from you Sharon. I started out quitting because of health and family but I haven't bought cigarettes in 6 weeks so now its about money too. I like not spending that money on cigs. Now my husband still smokes so we still are buying them but not as many as we did when I smoked too.

• Like 7

I quit because I had a crystal ball. When I hit 62 I had to think long and hard about whether or not to collect Social Security "early". That got me to thinking about my retirement-- when, where and what I wanted to be able to do. When I was 63 my older brother was diagnosed out-of-the-blue with Stage IV melanoma; he was dead 10 months later. My father was a physical and mental mess (alcohol, diabetes and 4 packs-a-day cigarettes) who died at 56. My mother quit smoking at 60 and was fit, active and exercised every day and was still going strong at 85. 

So my crystal ball told me that:

1. I'm not going to live forever and the end could come at any time.

2. If I mimic my father and keep going as I am (overweight, smoking, couch potato) I will have a very boring, disabled retirement and I will die much sooner than needs be.

3. If I mimic my mother and quit smoking and get fit I could have 20 years of being happy, healthy and vigorous.

As Jack Benny said, "H-m-m-m-m... I'm thinking! I'm thinking!"  So the next time I was at my doctor's office I asked for a prescription for Chantix and I quit. 

• Like 8

We all know that mine is to get pregnant... That hadn't happened yet, but there have been SO MANY other great life changing improvements that make me so glad that I quit! Plus, I met all of you wonderful people - my second family :)

• Like 9

My 3 babies mainly, figured there was no point in me having kids if I was just going to kill myself too soon and break their hearts because I picked cigarettes over them. My oldest James would beg me to quit and wouldn't kiss me because I stank but I am soo happy my younger two don't remember me smoking, no way I'm changing that, I don't ever want to see them smoking and it would have been very probable that they would be smokers if I had continued, no fecking way am I killing my babies either.

• Like 12

I was on my way to a very early grave. I was hospitalized 3 times in December alone once was for blood clots. My husband is in the Army and deploys all of the time, my kids would be the ones who found me if I died. As if the trauma of losing a parent isn't enough I am sure it is worse if you find the parent. I quit for them. 

• Like 14

I was on my way to a very early grave. I was hospitalized 3 times in December alone once was for blood clots. My husband is in the Army and deploys all of the time, my kids would be the ones who found me if I died. As if the trauma of losing a parent isn't enough I am sure it is worse if you find the parent. I quit for them. 

Oh, my! What an upsetting thought! I'm telling you, you military wives have my respect--you have to deal with so many things the rest of us don't even have to think about. Thank you and Mr. DD for your service. (((HUGS!)))

• Like 6