Has Quitting Smoking Changed Your Drinking Habits?

sharonsiff

Apeezy's post made me think of this question.

It has mine, 100%

I used to relish a very small Baileys every single night, it was an event that I looked forward to around 10pm everyday.

Lee and I don't go out drinking but would host street get togethers and enjoy a beer, or for me a cocktail or two.

When I stopped smoking last June I stopped drinking, just sadly didn't trust myself from past history. At first I moaped about it, sighed and puffed in my mind around 10pm but knew it was the best thing to do.

Over a year on and I don't drink or even think about having one. Yes, sometimes I might get excited and think oh I'll have a cocktail on Saturday night, or a Baileys watching Breaking bad, but I never actually do.

It's not that I'm scared now that it will give me a crave, I have had say two Baileys since Christmas and not even a thought to smoke crossed my mind. No, it's as though I killed two birds with one stone in that quitting smoking has in effect lead to me quitting my old drinking habits.

How is it for everyone else?

Are you the same, or do you drink as you would as a smoker...or more ;) ?

• Like 1

I drink the same if not more I like to have vices lol in the beginning I did not drink at all in first few weeks i just didnt trust myself

When I did start again the booze effected me a lot quicker so I could drink less to get the buzz

I use wine now as a stress buster instead of smoking but sometimes that gets me in trouble!

But I can take it or leave it, growing up with an alchoholic mother keeps me on track!

I enjoy a wine its my little bit of naughtiness :)

• Like 3

I still like a vino and refused to give that up too.  Agree with Nancy, release one vice at a time lol.

I even went pubbing day 4 and still held my quit...mostly by screaming inside but they put me on Marti watch and someone distracted me while the others went to smoke lol, I eventually ran away to bed haha. 

I'm always surprised when people say how interlinked the two are for them, they weren't for me... although I think maybe going pull pelt made me face the trigger and know I could surpass it right from the start.. who knows.

• Like 1

Just shows how different we all are doesn't it?

When I think about it I would NEVER drink if I was low on cigarettes, never! I always linked the two. Yet would happily smoke if there was no drink in the house.

I have never, in my life, had a smoker free hang over-ever. I wonder if I'll experience that on my holiday? ;)

Mine has changed. I realize now I was mainly drinking because it was a reason to go smoke. I haven't quit drinking. I just haven't hardly been drinking since I've quit smoking.

It is what it is.  :)

• Like 3

I had just posted something in the introduction section.

I had the same fear of what would happen if i went out and drank. 

That is in fact what i did to give my self "the ultimate test" before i embarked on this journey.

I think after 3 nights of drinking the only thing i do in fact regret is the 12am slices of pizza that I had... which in recent past would of for sure been followed by a Marlboro Red. 

I was pleased to say that did not happen. 

• Like 6

The first time I quit, I noticed I drank more. It was nice to go out to eat and have a few beers and not have to leave the table. Plus I think it took that edge off that I believed smoking did. I am still early in my quit so I am not sure what will entail. Everything is different this time. Work schedule, we've moved and basically started over recently. I work in the evenings and by the time I get home I am just to tired to drink most days. My days still start early. 

I have never, in my life, had a smoker free hang over-ever. I wonder if I'll experience that on my holiday?  ;)

Dancing Queen, it is fabulous.  If you don't throw down a bottle of liquor and just drink to get a nice buzz, you probably won't even have a hangover. Just kill a big big glass of water before bed and you should be good to go. That was one of my favorite things about smoking. 

As a matter of fact, this is my third quit...and last one!!!! But all my quits always started the day after a night full of drinking and smoking because my cigarette hangover was so bad that day 1 was always a breeze for me!! I had no desire to smoke. 

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, I have less desire to drink since I quit smoking. I used to have 1 or 2 beers at home most nights. Now I tend to drink iced tea or a glass of milk most nights. My guess is that my main reason to smoke was to relieve stress and that is the same reason I drank. Once the nicotine-induced stress was gone, so did my desire to drink. I still like to have 1 or 2 cocktails when we go out dancing because it relieves my inhibitions (you should SEE my uninhibited dancing!!  :pleasantry:  ) but that's about it.

• Like 3

I've cut way down on drink, I didn't drink for the first 3 months and am trying to just stick to a few at home, were I feel safe cos no cigs around, I am still not feeling 100% safe when it comes to drinking to the point I have had to turn down 3 weddings of very close people because my quit was too important to me and weddings are the worst cos you drink from soo early til the middle of the morning and I am just not that secure in my quit yet, which worries me if I'm being honest.

• Like 3

I think less or the same for me.

I was never a big drinker to begin with, but on occasion, I do enjoy some whisky, Sangria, or a ginger beer. I used to love my Vodka, but my body says NOPE to that. I'd say in the last two weeks, I've been drinking more because of the toothache, but I've witnessed what alcohol can do to people and I'm not a fan. I hate being around drunk people to be honest.

• Like 1

Oh dear. I definitely drink more. Not that I was a big drinker in the first place. But I never drink with smokers because I don't know any... I was the last hold-out.

Now, if I lived in England or Ireland, or in a lot of other countries, I think it would be a diiferent story. More like yours, SueBeDoo. But here in Canada, or at least in downtown Toronto, you hardly see smokers, even outside of bars. So, there's little temptation.

But, hmmm.... Why am I drinking more? Have to figure that one out, I guess.

• Like 1

Sharon, I am  exactly opposite.  I never changed...I was afraid if I gave up my wine at the same time, I would feel too deprived, and would smoke!

I was exactly the same as Nancy - I knew if I felt deprived I would say stuff it - I'm smoking !

• Like 1

Interesting thread, for sure.  I was about 6 weeks into my quit, before I drank.  I didn't drink a whole lot before I quit, but when I did it was strong stuff and I could drink many under the table in my younger years lol.  These days, it's wine and I see nothing wrong with having a glass most nights.  I don't think I even LIKED wine before I quit.  Generally, I stick to one glass throughout the week and come the weekend, it's two or if I'm feeling especially bold I'll have 3.  That's it though, I think my tolerance has changed dramatically.  I really like sparkling Contadina Pinot Grigio from Trader Joe's :)

I'm not a fan of alcohol really. Early in my quit I was afraid to have any. All previous relapses occurred while drinking. My guard was down and bam...I took the puff. Grrrrr.

Besides that, I'm not really into feeling like crap the next day.

And in addition--too many calories.

Give me coffee.

I'm not a fan of alcohol really. Early in my quit I was afraid to have any.

Besides that, I'm not really into feeling like crap the next day.

And in addition--too many calories.

Give me coffee.

Also I'm not terribly found of the price or the taste. I have drank twice this year though. I usually do once or twice a year. Maybe a tiny bit more when I used to smoke. I'd always chain smoke when I was drinking.