Hello

Here's a little tip for you that might help you deal with avoiding that 1st smoke in the morning:

Understand what your morning routine is BEFORE you quit again. Making very slight changes to that routine the 1st day you quit will focus your mind on what you're doing because it's not normal for you. When your mind if focused on something other than smoking, then that trigger to smoke either won't be there or it will be weaker. If you follow your normal routine, you'll do that robotically without thinking about it leaving your mind open to that 1st strong craving you'll have 1st thing in the morning.

Let's say this is your morning routine: Wake up and head straight for the shower. Then dress and go to the kitchen for something to drink or eat. Change the sequence of what you normally do. Go get that drink or eats first then take your shower. Just that little change will focus your mind and delay cravings because you've changed your routine and your mind is trying to figure out what's going on.

Distraction and keeping busy are keys to avoiding/delaying the worst of the cravings in the early days of quitting.

Again; food for thought perhaps? 🤔

• Like 4

Thanks @Reciprocity. That totally makes sense. To be honest I usually have one while I'm still in bed. So I can easily change that and get up and do something else first. I have been keeping track of every time I light up and I definitely have patterns that I need to think about. I thought I was just smoking when I felt like one but actually now I can see I have triggers. I didn't think waking up was a trigger but actually it is. It's more complicated than I thought it was going to be when I decided to quit. But I know it's important if I'm going to be successful.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, susie14 said:

I know I failed the first time but I've learnt so much from it too.

This is what erases the word "failed" from your initial attempt. You don't fail unless you learn nothing. I think you learned lots! The key here will be using that knowledge when you decide to quit again.

• Like 4

@susie14the biology and the psychology of addiction is complicated.  lots of pathways and chemistry involved in creating the habits that form the addiction.  breaking the addiction isn't complicated.  it's very simple.  don't confuse that with easy.  when i quit i didn't quit smoking as that was a bit traumatic for me, so I quit buying them.  you can't smoke'em if ya ain't gottem.  but it still came down to 2 rules.  keep those rules and you are guaranteed success.

Rule 1.  don't smoke

Rule 2.  when in doubt, refer to Rule 1.

I will admit one thing, though.  Looking for the easy way out is a great distraction from smoking.  I used that one a lot.

• Like 3

Thanks. I think I read somewhere that quitting is 1% physical and 99% in your mind. I think that's the main thing I've learnt after reading everyone's comments. I didn't realize that before. Maybe that's after the first few days because it seemed physical for the 2 days I tried to stop. 

• Like 2

Hi, Susie. Really glad that you are reflecting on your recent experience and continuing to learn from the board. That's awesome. 

My own experience is that smoking is an addiction that has physical AND emotional AND ritual/habitual aspects to it. For me, withdrawal was a physical crisis, no question. Headaches, the shakes, disorientation, insomnia, agitation, weird skin stuff, brain fog, the whole gruesome enchilada. It truly sucked, but thank heavens that phase was temporary. Just like detoxing from every other chemical addiction. (Tho nicotine is more potent than many others.) It passes. Then there are the emotional and ritual/habitual aspects to tackle. These take longer to resolve, but they are far less intense than the initial withdrawal. 

All of which is to say that quitting requires multiple strategies to deal with different facets of the experience. Successful quitters usually need a portfolio of tactics to mix and match and alternate... things to do with our hands, our mouths, our minds, our bodies, our emotions. Staying busy is key, as is the willingness to pivot to the next tactic on your list if the one you're trying isn't currently working. Think of it as a creative challenge! 

At the end of the day, though, Yoda is right that the only certain way to stop smoking... is to actually stop smoking.  Procrastination keeps us addicted. If I had a penny for every time I said "Next week..." or  "Next month..." or "After my exams..." or "Once my dad's out of the hospital..." I'd be a very wealthy woman, and have a lot fewer health issues. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, susie14 said:

Thanks. I think I read somewhere that quitting is 1% physical and 99% in your mind. I think that's the main thing I've learnt after reading everyone's comments. I didn't realize that before. Maybe that's after the first few days because it seemed physical for the 2 days I tried to stop. 

if it's real to you, it's real enough.  i had physical symptoms for months, others were breezing through it after 6 weeks.  you're young so you will probably groove a new habit pretty fast.  Realize it will suck for a while.  embrace that and do something other than smoke.  you can do it.  

• Like 4

I found what I read. It was on this website

https://www.allencarr.com/easyway-stop-smoking/live-group-seminars/

I think it was his book someone suggested too. I haven't got it yet but I still might.

I know I shouldn't wait too long before I try again. And I am putting it off at the moment. I just find it very hard knowing I have to go to school. I think I need more than 2 or 3 days after how I felt last time. And the next long break I get is at the end of March. I did think about pretending I had covid or something so I could stay home but I don't want to lie. But then I also haven't tried NRTs yet so maybe that will make it easier just for the first few days.

I've still been thinking a lot about things I can do to keep busy and triggers. The weather is getting better so that should make it easier too.

I also had a chat to my best friend. She wants me to quit. I told her what it was like when I tried to quit last time and she suggested I stay at her place for a few days while I quit. That way I can't smoke but also we can do things together all the time so I'm not thinking about smoking so much. I don't know if I can yet. And I know she's gonna hate me after that lol. But I think it is a good idea.

I'm going to stay on here for now and keep reading and keep thinking about everything. I am definitely going to get there however long it takes me.

• Like 4

You idea of waiting until March break is not a bad one. That would give you at least a week or so to get through the worst of the symptoms like brain fog. Using NRT's is up to you. If you think they may help, no harm in trying them for the first while at least. You can always stop if they're not doing you any good. Just don't expect them to make quitting easy; it won't be no matter what you do. They may in fact take the edge off the withdrawals for you at least initially

Yes you'll probably take out your anxiety and frustration on the ones you care most for. Realize that and perhaps give them a heads up or even apologize in advance? Do your venting here on the train. No one here's gonna think any less of you cuz we were all the same at some point - we can take it! Being short tempered and feeling like I wanted to explode at times was the quit symptom that lasted the longest for me.

Remember, quitting is a marathon, not a sprint and you want to take it just one day at a time otherwise, it can get overwhelming for you. Wake up each day and commit to not smoking just for today! Then, rinse and repeat tomorrow. Small bites are easier to digest rather than large ones! And don't over complicate things. There's only one rule - don't smoke; not even one puff!

We all believe you CAN do it!

• Like 3

Here's a great post from years ago. Give this a read as may help you prepare for making the lifestyle adjustment from smoker to non-smoker. When we quit, there's suddenly a huge void in our daily life. It's no wonder we're left feeling lost & bewildered. Learning to fill that void with positive, useful things day to day is what we all have to do. It takes a while but as you do that, you will have so many more productive things in your life and it will feel completely normal to you after a while.

• Like 4

Yes, like @Reciprocity said there is a void when we quit. I felt like I was giving up my best friend. More like a devil though! I also felt a sense of doom in the beginning. But all those symptoms went away in time. 8 months in and I don’t have any of those symptoms anymore. Except maybe an urge once in a while that lasts for a few seconds and then it’s gone. Time is what helps, they say time heals all wounds, and it will heal all your cravings, symptoms and urges. Just have to give it time and be patient! ☺️

• Like 3

@Reciprocity

Every time I try to say your username in my head it comes out all funny lol

Thanks for that post. I always have a cigarette when I finish something. I didn't even realize that until I thought about it. I will read that post again and think more about it.

• Like 3

@QuittingGirl When I decided to quit about a month ago I honestly didn't think it would be that hard. I decided to quit and I thought I could just get a few ideas and do it. Last year my friend found out I smoked  regularly and told me I should quit. I said I would but didn't even go a day. But I didn't care that much. Now that I do care I know I have to work hard and I have to keep working hard. I know it's worth it though.

• Like 6

I also realize I don't even remember anything different to that. I haven't been smoking for as long as most people but it's still probably in my mind to do it without thinking. 

Understand that you have been repeating the same process day in and day out for years now as a smoker. Whether it be 1 year or 50 years, it's repetitive and your brain not only remembers it but expects it now every day. 

This is why it takes a long time to become comfortable as a non-smoker. You have to repeat all your daily non-smoking activities over and over until your brain accepts the new routines you've developed as being normal.. That's the long mental game of quitting but the short game, which is the dreadful withdrawals, does not last that long at all really. It starts getting less and less difficult after a week or two but the progression is so dreadfully slow, you won't even realize it's happening ... but it is! You need to have blind faith and just don't smoke! It WILL get easier and easier the longer you don't light up a cigarette.

Oh; and the name thing, just think Reci ... that's the short cut :) 

• Like 6

Thanks @Reciprocity

I understand what you are saying. I've had a weird week. Sometimes I feel motivated to try again and sometimes I feel like it's too hard. But I'm trying to stay positive and keep reading posts on here.

Quitting is hard for sure but it's not too hard if you want it badly enough. That's the thing though. You have to make becoming a non-smoker your absolutely top priority in your life until your quit is secure.

There's a saying I read somewhere that describes quitting smoking quite well: 

"You have what it takes but it will take all you have!"

• Like 3

Susie 

Never give up …trying to give up .. 

you can do it …you just have to believe in yourself..

I bet your strong in every other aspect of your life ..

it’s the lies the nico monster wants you to believe ..

Tell him to naff off ..

oh ya and the counting game , giving that slap… perfect 

• Like 4

Yep - you do not FAIL until you quit trying ..... stay on the train and when ready try again, get the book, The Easy Way and read it as well. 

You should probably not play sticks and chicks until you are a few years into you quit, too much stress :)

Edited by overcome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4