Hi from Boston

giopetro

Hi there. New to this forum and also new to not having a pack of cigarettes with me every where I go.

I am in my mid 30s and very active. I ride my bike to work. Im at the gym 3 nights a week in the winter , and walk just about everywhere.

I am a very healthy eater. I do not touch sugars and soda, never really eat sweets. And have a diet of mostly proteins and vegetables. A lot of people find it weird that I get repulsed my the mere sight of processed type foods, but I will smoke constantly. I have been asked several times by people how it is that I can keep such a healthy lifestyle and light a cigarette right after I get off my bike. I never had a good enough answer.

I have been a smoker since the age of 16.  up until last week I have smoked about a pack of cigarettes a day.

I have decided to not ever smoke again. And I hope to just come here to introduce myself and say hi.

So Hi!

• Like 13

hi and welcome giopetro :)

wow how healthy you are going to be now that you do not smoke anymore, I used to know marathon runners who would smoke before and after a run and I never understood it either to be honest

so pleased for you and congratulations on your quit

read everything here and post as much as you like if you have any questions etc just ask the support here is great if you open up and post, we have a great social section too that helps with distraction and interaction

welcome again and we will look forward to hearing about how much your fitness levels improve

we also have a healthy eating and fitness thread and your imput there would be most appreciated

welcome again to the train :)

• Like 2

Hi Gio, nice to meet you!

Your post actually reminds me of something i was thinking at the weekend... I saw a couple of guys coming out if the gym, how were obviously very health conscious, and spent considerable time there (I imagine). As soon as they stepped outside, they both lit up immediately, making me question, why do people who put so much effort into keeping fit and still smoke? The only answer I could home up with was... No one is safe from nicotine addiction!!

Anyway, it's great to hear that you have made the decision to stop smoking cigarettes! Lots of good people here, who have lots of great advice and tips when it comes to not smoking :) take a look around and spend some time educating yourself about nicotine addiction (if you haven't already).

Hope you are having a good day, and let us know if you need anything or have any questions!

• Like 1

Hey Gio!  Coming to visit your fare city in another week and a half!  Looking forward to seeing Bean Town!

You sound like me as far as doing something really healthy and smoking!  I used to go to the gym and walk out and immediately light up a smoke.  I think about that now and it just sounds so ludicrous!  How stupid was I?

Welcome to the Quittrain.  Everyone here is more than happy to help a new quitter.  Find a spot and make yourself comfortable.  Lots to learn!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Quittrain and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!  You won't regret it!  Take a look around as there's lots of good info here to help you in your quit.

Let us know what we can do to help!

• Like 1

Welcome, Gio!  So glad you found us.  There is a lot of wonderful information here about quitting.  More importantly, though, there are a lot of people who have been exactly where you are now...and who are anxious to help.  Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your decision to quit!

• Like 1

Hi and welcome aboard.....

Can you imagine how healthy you are going to feel when you quit the cigs..........

well done.....

Read all you can in the newbie section.....it does help to understand this addiction....

Also pledge every day here.....post often.......

You will get all the support to succeed here....

I am actually quite surprised at how easy it has been so far. I went out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.. which I was dreading due to the fact that I knew people would be drinking and smoking. Guess what.. I drank. Almost too much at some points. And did not smoke. It wasn't until late Sunday night that after a couple slices of pizza i almost wanted one for a few minutes.. but I am really happy I didn't give in.....What the hell was I waiting for?

• Like 7

I am actually quite surprised at how easy it has been so far. I went out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.. which I was dreading due to the fact that I knew people would be drinking and smoking. Guess what.. I drank. Almost too much at some points. And did not smoke. It wasn't until late Sunday night that after a couple slices of pizza i almost wanted one for a few minutes.. but I am really happy I didn't give in.....What the hell was I waiting for?

Stay on your toes.

gio you are doing great and to face those situations is fantastic what chrispy said is true this addiction has a way of biting you in the apples when you least expect it hopefully it wont happen, but it could 

i totally agree with what are people waiting for? thats a very poignant question :)

not looking forward to the odd cravings i have been hearing about.. But just the fact that I do not have a pack of cigarettes on me and am totally okay with it is HUGE for me right now.

absolutely and a thing to celebrate and shout from the hills you are doing fantastic

not looking forward to the odd cravings i have been hearing about.. But just the fact that I do not have a pack of cigarettes on me and am totally okay with it is HUGE for me right now.

And I think that's the thing, always make sure that you never have a pack around you. Then if the crap does hit the fan, and you do get a moment of madness then there are none to smoke. By the time you go out to purchase the crave would have gone anyway.

I do know what you mean about being over joyed that you have not got a pack on you, and that it's huge ;) quite a feeling isn't it?

Hiya Gio and welcome, really well done on deciding to quit, that alone takes balls which you clearly have ;)

Keep doing what you are doing and just stay on your toes, ready to swat those buggar cravings away like a mosquito,

Sue x