IamDoingIt, You've Been AWOL For 7 Days!

I make it a personal rule to never assume, but I'm starting to break my own rule because I'm seeing a correlation between absence and relapse. 

I hope you start posting more and tell us what's going on that you keep reaching for the cigarettes.  You can quit and be happy in your quit.  I remember a time when you were that guy.  What happened?  We can help but we need to know each day if your struggling and what you're struggling with.

Quitting Is More Doable Than Most People Think

The idea that quitting smoking is close to impossible is often perpetuated at Internet quit sites. This video hits home the point that this is a dangerous misconception. Quitting is in fact more doable than most people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtXGwu3uC4&list=PLCDB8BA311D538113&index=6

One Day At A Time

Video discusses how the concept of one day at a time used by most other addiction programs is just as helpful for smokers who are quitting which of course should be obvious considering they are in fact trying to break free from an actual nicotine addiction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD4dzeQiPlI

The Power Of Nicotine Addiction

Video explains the full power of the grip that nicotine can take on an individual and the consequences that can be faced if a person does not quit smoking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYRrZG5l8A

• Like 6

I agree with MQ. I think we can definitely help you (or at least try our best to!) -- you just need to reach out to us.

Hope all is okay and hope to hear from you soon. 

You've been able to quit before, so you know it's not impossible. Everyone here has an idea of what you're going through. What better way to quit than to be surrounded by a community of people who have been exactly where you are today?

Thinking of you!

• Like 3

Yes, please stay close to the board and post often!

You can do this!

I agree, you honestly can.

It might be a shi**y witty or an easy peasy detox but either way we are here to support you, we honestly are. Have walked in your current shoes. Please post, pretty please.

• Like 4

Hiya iam come on over to us, we are like parents sitting up at night waiting for our kids to get home safe from the pub.

So it's way past closing time, you should be home by now, don't make us have to send out a search party to find you xx

• 2 weeks later...

IamDoingIt is back. And I am doing it.

MQ, you're an intelligent guy. You go right on ahead and make assumptions, because you are RIGHT.

I am ready to get this done. I think I have figured out there will never be enough cigarettes to appease my addiction. So, the only thing left is to quit.

I read a post from the Sarge that sums up what I have been doing: (paraphrasing) "I love, Love, LOVE cigarettes, but I know they are doing very bad things to me.

Yes, I realize it is my addiction talking when I say I love cigarettes, but it's the truth. I know I cannot have enough of them. I watched and stood at my fathers bedside as he was drawing in his last breath, dying of C.O.P.D.

It's a death I do not want. So, no matter how badly I crave, no matter what the junkie says, I will not smoke.

Please, don't chastise me over this post folks. I know all about the addiction, I about have Joel's library and videos memorized. I have done all the newbie stuff, and I will repeat it.

I have become a professional quitter. Now, it's time to finally get the job done.

I am going to come here everyday for 90 days and at least do the N.O.P.E. Pledge. If after that 90 days, I am not better off than I am right now, I will go back to smoking.

However, I know in my heart of hearts how I will feel 90 days from now.

I have been there before, and I will get there again. This time, it's permanent. I am not leaving myself an out.

IamDoing is BACK!

I had to edit this line:  I have become a professional quitter. Now, it's time to finally get the job done. What I have become is a professional RELAPSER. What I want, and what I am going to strive for is to become a professional QUITTER. All my attempts have failed. I know it will take at least a year, possibly more, to become a professional quitter. Right now, I am an amateur. I want to become, and I will work to become a PRO!

Edited by IamDoingIt
  • Like 3

IamDoingIt is back. And I am doing it.

MQ, you're an intelligent guy. You go right on ahead and make assumptions, because you are RIGHT.

I am ready to get this done. I think I have figured out there will never be enough cigarettes to appease my addiction. So, the only thing left is to quit.

I read a post from the Sarge that sums up what I have been doing: (paraphrasing) "I love, Love, LOVE cigarettes, but I know they are doing very bad things to me.

Yes, I realize it is my addiction talking when I say I love cigarettes, but it's the truth. I know I cannot have enough of them. I watched and stood at my fathers bedside as he was drawing in his last breath, dying of C.O.P.D.

It's a death I do not want. So, no matter how badly I crave, no matter what the junkie says, I will not smoke.

Please, don't chastise me over this post folks. I know all about the addiction, I about have Joel's library and videos memorized. I have done all the newbie stuff, and I will repeat it.

I have become a professional quitter. Now, it's time to finally get the job done.

I am going to come here everyday for 90 days and at least do the N.O.P.E. Pledge. If after that 90 days, I am not better off than I am right now, I will go back to smoking.

However, I know in my heart of hearts how I will feel 90 days from now.

I have been there before, and I will get there again. This time, it's permanent. I am not leaving myself an out.

IamDoing is BACK!

I had to edit this line:  I have become a professional quitter. Now, it's time to finally get the job done. What I have become is a professional RELAPSER. What I want, and what I am going to strive for is to become a professional QUITTER. All my attempts have failed. I know it will take at least a year, possibly more, to become a professional quitter. Right now, I am an amateur. I want to become, and I will work to become a PRO!

The bold part concerns me.  You are giving yourself that option of going back to smoking. In 90 days will you start to convince yourself that you dont feel better and go back to smoking? Dont put that option in your head even if its way in the back of your mind. We are all very aware of how the addiction works and what it will convince us of to get us back.

• Like 4

IamDoingIt said,

"I am going to come here everyday for 90 days and at least do the N.O.P.E. Pledge. If after that 90 days, I am not better off than I am right now, I will go back to smoking."

In my (not so) humble opinion....90 days ain't enough for an experiment.

When I quit  October 2014, I gave myself one year.  

Quit for a year just to see if I could do it.

A year wasn't going to kill me, it would be an adventure.

After a year...I could do anything I want.  

This was my deal with myself.  

At about 6 months, I decided to make it two years.

I said to myself,

' yep, maybe two years

will give you enough time smoke free to make a fair comparison.'

Now, at 11 months, I am making it a lifetime thing. It is the only choice.

I hope you give yourself a chance to taste a most wonderful freedom.

To witness an inner strength in yourself that will shine shine shine.

and to Own the sense of your accomplishment.

It is a perfect gift.

Take it.

Love,

S

• Like 4

Okay....let's get this straight..... I am not leaving myself an out. I am setting a goal. I haven't had a quit smoking goal in a LONG time. This is a goal and ONLY a goal.

I understand the 'out' predicament, but trust me. It is definitely NOT an out.

This is how I have to deal with myself. I am setting the 90 days. Around 60 or maybe right at 90, I will change the goal. Trust me, how I have been behaving with the nicotine addiction has definitely NOT worked, so I have to change it up. 90 days is good for now.

• Like 1

OK, how about this, don't smoke tomorrow. Not an option, no way out. If you make it through the day, you have to make the same promise for the next day. Deal making is junkie thinking and you know it. Each day, don't smoke; one day at a time, no limit to the number of days. I'm not trying to be critical, I want you to succeed, not for 90 days, but for forever.

• Like 5

Hi iam,I'm so glad to see you back here....ok no lectures,so let's chat.....

I'm sorry you had to watch your dad suffer,it's a horrible ilness,I watch my hubby on oxygen every day.....

Giving yourself 90 days,then going back to smoking isn't a very good plan....

When I thought I might lose my 2 feet....if I had only given myself 90 days,my head would have exploded....

I'm all for all roads leading to Rome.....but there is a better route than yours.....

Taking it day by day.....coming here ,posting ,joining in,telling jokes,playing the games,having fun,

The days just pass....

We will support you

You really want to quit,otherwise you wouldn't be here.....so give yourself every chance.....

I thought I love smoking too,I did it for 52 years,

But now I look back I didn't like it at all....I was hooked ,two different things....

Let's get you quit for good.....xxxx

• Like 4

I wish there was an easy fix for this addiction...but there is not...all I can tell you is that the only thing that will overcome it is YOUR WANTING IT MORE THAT ANYTHING ELSE....If this is not so.....it will be VERY difficult....NOT impossible but very difficult.  This addiction is something that you have to focus on 24/7 otherwise you are heading south.  

I wish it could be easier .... as do millions of others .... BUT you were born a non-smoker .... You need to try and educate your brain to why that would be... WHY is nicotine so addictive...WHY is it so hard to quit...WHY does my brain tell me I need it....

Look mate...I am sure you have the answers to some of the questions....but OBVIOUSLY not all of them....ONE cigarette is NEVER enough if you are an addict...and I am so sorry but you ARE A NICOTINE ADDICT....

It is very possible to stop this merry go round....VERY POSSIBLE....YOU  HAVE TO FIND IT WITHIN YOU TO QUIT...

Once you do.....I KNOW THAT YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK....

The above are not just words....and neither are all the other words and posts on this site....we are all fragile and we are all subject to addiction of any drug that is there for us but please.....understand this is something that you cannot take lightly....your heart and MIND have to be in it 100% ... otherwise... well I think you know the truth and where you will ultimately end up...

Please never feel inadequate or defeated....but TRUST in those of us who have been there and done that...YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIVE YOUR LIFE IN SLAVERY....

Dors 

• Like 4

Well I'm just going to be excited your back :)

I get what the folk are saying about 90 days, I do. Could sound like a loop hole there but of course I have no idea on what better looks like for you so am going to chat. Would you feel better in 90 days, well yeah. After 4/5 days, the cough goes, you realize it was superbly annoying so you'd feel better for that. All across the first couple of weeks cilia in your lungs is shaking off tar, (literally tar) and your deep breath changes, thus enabling better breathing, nicer sleeping and you feel much better for that. Even the thoughts have changed massively at 90 days, they are very very different to the powerful thoughts of early quit but some, well some triggers haven't been met and faced yet. So I guess it depends on your judging. However reading between the lines this may well be your way of not letting a forever quit overwhelm you.

One day at a time is enough. Most of us believed we loved smoking, it was our only sanctuary, our only vice, it's not like I spend on anything else, I've known 90 year olds who smoke....any of this sounding familiar? Yep, I did all of those and more :)  It's ok to be scared. We are addicts you and I, that's the part you've really not taken in Iam but you will, of that I have no doubt. You are a clever fella and once you have some time under your belt the battle gets less and less. 

You're also not seeing the good bits. But again, you will. Be excited, be scared, do the pledge, one day at a time. No over-thinking. Getsome plans in place to distract yourself when you will get those craves and then triggers. Fruit juice to cleanse the body of nicotine, the faster we get that out the easier it is to know you are only dealing with mental thoughts and triggers. We will walk with you.

xx

• Like 6

All my attempts have failed.

And there's the problem right there.

Don't attempt to quit.

Just quit.

Quit.

If it's another "attempt to quit" then  it will just end the way all the others diid.

Make this a Quit.

Not an AttemptToQuit.

A Quit.

Easy Peasy

• Like 4

Iam! I will be watching you post NOPE everyday, for the next 90 days. If you do this, there is no doubt that you will feel well enough to stay quit forever. Bit let's just take it a day at a time for now. 90 days, in fact. I'm with ya!