Tackling Saturday on Monday

Apeezy

So, another big trigger for me is Saturday because I always hang out with my friends on Saturday and we have a few beers. My husband smokes, my friends smoke. Geez, they almost all smoke. Well, I haven't touched alcohol in two weeks because it has been giving me big anxiety. Or hung out with my friends....I miss them. So, tonight I drank a big beer! Alone at home. But nonetheless, I am beginning to conquer this one. I did good. My husband went out to smoke and I didn't have this burning desire to go out too. I thought about it....but I think I just mentally prepared myself before hand. I like to drink beer on Saturdays and hang out with my friends. I am ready to take my Saturdays back!! Baby steps!

• Like 4

Hi, It's tough when all around you smoke to start, I remember it well. Some tips is tell them all you've quit and ask them to look after you, not allgo out together etc. To be honest you might find it a bit too much, or not, everyone is different. Another tip, if you crave, really watch them smoke. You'll see a catch and acough and then remember that's the real smoking, also it's instinctive, not wonderfully relaxing as they never suddenly look blissful mid cig - if they stop coughing that is :)  Just see it for what it is my lovely and it may actually reinforce your quit. x

• Like 4

Hi Apeezy, this can be a big hurdle for some people, and others it's not so bad.

I went to a wedding a few weeks after I quit, and I was really stressed because I had to do a speech (yikes!)... Not one of my favourite things, lol. I got pretty drunk, and smoking was not a problem. I did post here when I could, and that helped to have people cheering me on. Since then, I've got drunk a few times, but I have never allowed myself to use it as an 'excuse' to smoke... Actually, I have more fun now that I don't smoke ;)

• Like 1

I couldn't drink for the first few months, staying quit was the most important thing (on my to do list lol) so I couldn't take that chance, drinking cost me almost all of my previous quits, if you feel you can and want to do it then go for it and just stay on guard all night, only let the negative thoughts of smoking in, keep reminding yourself why you quit. Maybe just drink say no more then 4 and leave as soon as you start really wanting to smoke, hopefully you won't need to and you will be allright, just stay on your toes and remember you don't smome so smoking is not an option xx

Edited because of spelling mistake.

Hi, It's tough when all around you smoke to start, I remember it well. Some tips is tell them all you've quit and ask them to look after you, not allgo out together etc. To be honest you might find it a bit too much, or not, everyone is different. Another tip, if you crave, really watch them smoke. You'll see a catch and acough and then remember that's the real smoking, also it's instinctive, not wonderfully relaxing as they never suddenly look blissful mid cig - if they stop coughing that is :)  Just see it for what it is my lovely and it may actually reinforce your quit. x

^^^^ Apeezy this is wonderful advice ^^^^ (Marti thank you for all your wonderful advice actually :) )

Give yourself some tough love .... say to yourself.... I AM NOT GONNA GIVE IN TO YOU SMOKING APEEZY...I HAVE COME TOO FAR...I CAN DO THIS...DAMN IT I AM WORTH IT...CIGARETTES ARE NOTHING AND HOW CAN YOU MISS NOTHING.

Keep going mate you are doing so well.

Dors :)

• Like 3

well done apeezy, life has to go on :)

have a plan, take plenty of chewy things and drink plenty of water but most of all enjoy your evenings and your friends, if it gets hard just go for a little walk about and get head back in shape, if you drink too much stop, drink water or go home early

you can do everything you used to do just as a non smoker now, do not be fearful but always be on your guard and remember we are here 24/7 many times we have been on nights out with each other in a virtual way of course lol :)

life is for living! 

you are doing great x

Life goes on, as Tracey says, and have a plan.

I stopped drinking altogether only because my past attempts taught me I have no self control in my quit, when I have a drink.

That's me and you are you. You know your self, and your limits so as long as you are within your limit range I'm sure you'll enjoy your evening with your friends.

Have fun and just remember to have a plan, just in case.

Thank you everyone. I quit two years ago for 5 months. Drinking was so much better when I didn't smoke. I didn't have cigarette hangovers the next day. Therefore, my hangovers were almost non existent. Drinking did not make me relapse. I found my mother in law in my garage. She had just passed within the hour or so before I woke up and found her. It was very traumatic. However, I will certainly have an escape plan if needed. Last night was just what I needed to overcome some anxiety of hanging out with my friends. I have no desire to smoke. I feel too good and have come too far. I am actually watching someone smoke on tv right now and I am not jealous at all! LOL. I will keep my drinks low so I don't lose all inhibitions. Although, my hubby will look out for me and make sure I don't smoke if needed. 

• Like 2

I guess I can say I'm lucky that I'm not really much of a drinker.  However, my trigger was that morning cup of coffee and letting the dogs outside.  I would usually go with the dogs outside and have a smoke.  Now, I just get my cup of coffee, let the dogs outside, and I watch the weather for the day and the traffic report.  I also will get everything ready that I need to take with me that day to work, and then go and begin my routine of brushing teeth, showering, makeup, hair, dressing....I don't miss the morning smoking at all!  The only thing I can say is that I tend to not go outside very much right now because I'm not smoking, so before I was always in and out all day and night long.  I need to push myself to go outside and enjoy the sunshine or breeze.  I'd say that is the only thing that has occurred since I quit.

Once you get through the first few times of what was always a trigger, you create a new routine and adapt to it.  What is it Sgt. Sausage says "easy breazy".  :)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I quit two years ago for 5 months. Drinking was so much better when I didn't smoke. I didn't have cigarette hangovers the next day. Therefore, my hangovers were almost non existent. Drinking did not make me relapse. I found my mother in law in my garage. She had just passed within the hour or so before I woke up and found her. It was very traumatic. However, I will certainly have an escape plan if needed. Last night was just what I needed to overcome some anxiety of hanging out with my friends. I have no desire to smoke. I feel too good and have come too far. I am actually watching someone smoke on tv right now and I am not jealous at all! LOL. I will keep my drinks low so I don't lose all inhibitions. Although, my hubby will look out for me and make sure I don't smoke if needed. 

So very sorry about your mother in law.

You are doing great, and as others have commented, having a plan is key.  Have a wonderful time and you can tell us about your victory on Sunday!!

The only thing I can say is that I tend to not go outside very much right now because I'm not smoking, so before I was always in and out all day and night long.  I need to push myself to go outside and enjoy the sunshine or breeze.  I'd say that is the only thing that has occurred since I quit.

NayNay, I never go outside now. It is super hot so it's not such a bad thing... but I am ready for fall to hang out outside when the weather cools down and enjoy being outside without having to smoke!! I am sure my daughter appreciates the fact that I am outside smoking all the time. 

Yep, it's been rather humid lately here too.  August is usually considered the "dog days of summer".  But, because of the polar vortex over the past winter, it continues through the summer.  From what I understand, temps are about 10-15 degrees cooler than normals.  So we would normally be in the high 80's to high 90's at this time of the year.  I'm not complaining though; I like the cooler weather!