Does It Make You Want One?

sharonsiff

That was the question our Megan asked me on Sunday.

We treated the girls to a day out in London yesterday (to celebrate good news! :)) and they were around smokers. That does not happen in their day to day life as our circle are all non or never smokers.

She caught me watching a lady and assumed I was looking, in envy? A bit like she maybe checks out someone wearing the latest fashion item. I was watching the lady, I was watching and thinking you are like a robot, no feeling, just topping up the levels your body expects from the tobacco smoke.

I wasn't , and am not judging the lady. Been there myself for 30 years and it would make me a hypocrite. No, I was watching her and thinking- oh my life, that used to be me! Thank goodness that was my past and not my current, or future.

When I told Megan that I was just people watching (I love doing this) she smiled and said " thought so, you'll never want to smoke a dirty cig again, will you"

She knows me so well :)

If you're reading this and are in the position of still looking at folk with envy, fear not and hang tough. I was in envy for quite sometime myself last year. It does change and you just cross, mentally, the other side.

• Like 8

I love people watching too.....fascinating.....

I find if I watch men at work.and just see how they hold that cig and smoke it to the tip with thumb and finger ,sucking on it with all thier might to get the last drag......it reminds me of how grateful I am to have quit.....

Then I look at the young people and wish they would quit before the bad stuff comes.....

I know I will never smoke again.....

• Like 5

Oh Sharon, this is so true! Like you, I love to people watch, and was doing so when we were out yesterday - Tasha always let's me have the window seat at restaurants :p

I was watching a woman smoking outside a supermarket... I don't think she was particularly old, but I get the feeling that she looked older than she was. She looked grey... her hair was thin, and she looked really miserable standing there, smoking - it did not look pleasurable, at all... I'm so glad I don't have to do that anymore...

You are very lucky to have such a smart daughter, and I hope you had a great day in London!!!

• Like 2

I love to people watch too, lol. People are truly fascinating!

You are so right Sharon. I used to envy smokers, thinking it's "not fair" that they get to smoke and I don't. Now, I don't envy them; I feel bad for them! When it is -30C outside and I see someone smoking, I feel sorry for them, knowing that they are a slave to their addiction and will do and smoke anywhere to get their fix.

• Like 3

This week was so different for me than last week, I can say last week I was watching with envy, this week I was watching with disgust, the smell made me a little angry that people were polluting my nose and it was gross to see the butts on the ground

Nothing had changed except my mind set!

I cannot wait for the day when its not an issue at all

Keep turning them corners folks freedom is ours :)

• Like 2

Tracey I'm over the moon that your mindset is now on an even keel.

At least now you have the seed of logical planted that's strong, and helpful if any more emotional envy thoughts come your way.

You rock!

Just got to keep on keeping on thanks sharon x
  • Like 1