Money wasted....

Doreensfree

My friend and I went shopping together....

When we had paid for the goods,she pointed out to me how expensive it was to eat these days....

Of course I agreed....

Then she went to the cig counter and gave them happily another 20 pound note for just 2 packets ,that would only last the weekend....

I was just so happy I didn't have to do that anymore.....I walked out with a proud smile on my face...

• Like 17

This is so true - we never even considered going without cigs, no matter what they cost us... It's crazy money now, too. I wonder of you will eventually inspire her to quit as well?

Funny thing is - she spent all that money on the meal, and probably didn't enjoy it very much - her taste buds wouldn't have been as good as a non-smoker, and she was probably sitting there, getting impatient thinking all she really wanted was another smoke!

You are a star Doreen!!

• Like 4

I did buy her the full,session of Allen Carr clinic.....5 DVD,s.....About 9 months back....

She hasn't even taken the wrapper off....

She does say ,she is proud of me.....but that's as far as it goes....

Maybe one day......

Hugs

Awww Doreen, you are such a sweetheart... She will quit when she is ready. At least she has someone to talk to when she does decide it's finally time ;)

Edit because my phone types dies instead of does... Sorry!

• Like 1

I did buy her the full,session of Allen Carr clinic.....5 DVD,s.....About 9 months back....

She hasn't even taken the wrapper off....

She does say ,she is proud of me.....but that's as far as it goes....

Maybe one day......

Hugs

She has to want to quit. If she is not even curious enough to take the wrapper off... she is probably terrified of even facing the truth of her addiction.

You are offering the best help possible: your example.

One day. Surely :good:

• Like 5

I treated myself to a new chair (papasan chair; for those who don't know what that is it is kind of like a round bowl type chair that sits on a base and has a big cushion on it) and an area rug for my meditation/dressing room.  Together they cost less than $200.00 US dollars, and I know I've saved more than that to date.  So that was my treat for quitting.

• Like 6

Good for you, Doreen! You had every right to have a smile on your face that day! Keep on smilin'. :)

Yes, the expense is probably the main thing about smoking that made me feel like an addict. I knew that I would spend my last dollar on cigarettes to the exclusion of anything else. Back when I was smoking, I rationalized the expense by buying the cheapest cigarettes I could find and making sure that I never added up how much cigarettes cost me each month. 

Sad, stupid, self-destructive junkie! :sorry:

• Like 5

I remember being down to my last fiver before pay-day and spending it on cigarettes instead of food.

If I was downright broke I can see myself begging to get money for cigarettes... hang on, I have done that too... :( (begging from friends, that is, not outside the shop).

Actually... Would I be desperate enough to beg outside the shop to get cigarettes? Hmmm.... gosh I honestly hope I will never be in a situation to have to find out, not because I am not that poor but because I do not smoke any more.

I see in my ticker that I have "only" saved around 200€...that is nothing compared with some tickers around here. But I would happily pay double that for the peace of mind of not having to check my wallet constantly for change (the cashpoint is almost 4 Km away).

One of the reasons I quit has been, top of the list, the waste of money. That and the freedom. Even before health reasons.

Good that these benefits all come together :P

• Like 3

When I was a smoker, smoking was more important than eating. I'd starve all day if it meant I could smoke my precious cigarettes!

What a waste of money for sure.

Excellent reminder Doreen!

Me too Leanna, even when I stopped I still forgot to eat! Old silly habits.

Doreen thank goodness we don't waste our money, time and Heath anymore! Re investing my savings on a trip down memory lane next year ;) Tenerife booked!

• Like 2

Sarge would have at least 4 more rentals[1] in his inventory if he'd have taken the money handed over to Phillip Morris and invested it in a down payment and some rehab. Instead of sucking hundreds of dollars a month earlier in his life, it would be paying thousands a month during his retirement.

Sometimes ... he sobs in his sleep dreaming of what could have been ...

Easy Peasy

FOOTNOTE:

[1] On a brighter note: the first rental is paid off in exactly 1 year and 8 months. 12 more years until all units are owned free-and-clear.  Sarge may just never work again, anyway, if things work out over the next 3 to 5 years.

• Like 4