Mornings

Linda

The entire time we smoked most of us couldn't wait for that first cig each morning to quell the rather pronounced withdrawal symptoms that a nigh long sleep creates. I think that's probably why it's such a tough one to get over. Even though there's no longer any reason to have greater withdrawal symptoms in the morning once we quit, that thought is still programmed into our brain. Takes some time/repetition to change that. 

Distraction and a change in your morning routine should help you with that morning issue. Keeping your mind just a bit more focused on your new routine can't hurt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DenaliBlues said:

Yeah, mornings are tough for a while. But they get better. I, too, found staying busy/distracted to be really important. One day at a time for sure! 

@DenaliBlues I should know this and I do!

I've done it enough times, that is the craziest part of this!!

• Like 1

Yeah, your head definitely knows  it. You just need to help your body and heart remember it, as well! They are panicking a little right now, without their “fix.” But you are there to help them through, to protect your beautiful new quit, to stay strong and remind them that it’s SOOO much better on the other side. NOPE!

IMG_6472.GIF

• Like 2

Sazerac suggested that instead of thinking about a cigarette, quitters should look for:

Beauty.

That light on that leaf,

a color,

a beautiful cloud here for a moment,

the face of a loved one,

a special picture or painting,

listening to a song that you love,

reading a favorite poem or passage in a book.

You know your own beauty and how to find it.

Use this to your advantage.

Beauty is all around us and it only takes a little focus for the happy endorphins to rush around.

This is good advice for all of us.

• Like 5

I agree with everyone, excellent advice!! Keeping super busy and distracted was a big one and the noticing the beauty was actually a good one too bc a few times there was literally nothing else I could do but say out loud “That flower is purple….that leaf looks soft…” etc. it sounds crazy but it helps. You’re doing amazing gf even if it doesn’t feel like it yet. 

• Like 2

Hi Linda,

Congrats on an awesome start! I remember those mornings...Maybe a drastic change or new addition to your morning routine will also help. Perhaps a silly cheer, or watching something hilarious to get you laughing....you got this!!

• Like 2