Still Coughing Up Phlegm After 4 Years No Smoking

Glenninindy

Hello All; I am a newcomer here and have a few questions. Are there any long- time quitters here who have quit, but are still coughing up phlegm everyday? I quit 4 years ago and from almost the first day, I started coughing deeper, like my lungs immediately began trying to clean themselves. Is it possible, since I was a heavy smoker for 50+ years, that my lungs are still in the process of cleaning themselves, even 4 years after quitting? Thank-You.

Go see your Dr. and insist on a CT scan of your lungs. That will reveal if you have any lung issues. If you do have lung issues you'll likely be referred to a Pulmonologist (Lung Dr.). I don't see this as simple lung cleansing after 4 years but then again ... I'm not a Dr. so go get your lungs checked visa/vie a CT Scan and do it sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reciprocity said:

Go see your Dr. and insist on a CT scan of your lungs. That will reveal if you have any lung issues. If you do have lung issues you'll likely be referred to a Pulmonologist (Lung Dr.). I don't see this as simple lung cleansing after 4 years but then again ... I'm not a Dr. so go get your lungs checked visa/vie a CT Scan and do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks very much. I will ask my pulmonologist for a CT lung scan tomorrow. I am seeing my pulmonologist tomorrow afternoon and will ask for a CT scan.

• Like 2

Just now, Glenninindy said:

Thanks very much. I will ask my pulmonologist for a CT lung scan tomorrow. I am seeing my pulmonologist tomorrow afternoon and will ask for a CT scan.

Yes! Absolutely best for determining what's going on with your lungs.

If there's an issue, the sooner you know that the sooner you can get proper help in dealing with things.

Please let us know how things go ... we do care!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Reciprocity said:

Yes! Absolutely best for determining what's going on with your lungs.

If there's an issue, the sooner you know that the sooner you can get proper help in dealing with things.

Please let us know how things go ... we do care!

Very much agree with Reci and would add, I have been to two pulmonologist and turns out they have a different diagnosis ......... who would have thought.

My confidence in the medical industry is low and getting lower, a person can go to a lot of doctors and get lots of different diagnosis, that's why they call it a practice. 

I prefer not having them practicing on me. 

Forgot to say, with a CT scan, you have something better than just a guess. 

Edited by overcome
  • Like 1