Any Quitters Here Get Misdiagnosed With COPD?

Glenninindy

Hello, I just joined and I would like to hear your story about how your lungs healed after a false COPD diagnosis. I am under the assumption, that during the COPD breathing tests we get, our lungs were still not functioning well due to years of smoking. After years of quitting, do you think there is a distinct possibility that our lungs are now healing, thereby making the prognosis of COPD false? Does anybody here know if this can happen?

6 minutes ago, Reciprocity said:

How was your case of COPD diagnosed? Personally, I have never heard of a case of misdiagnosed COPD. 

More details required here.

Personally,  

I only had the breathing tests, not CT scans, but I am breathing much better since then and my oxygen saturation levels are always normal. After years of quitting, being able to breathe better, one may be able to live a normal life span, despite being diagnosed with COPD, I believe.

Quitting smoking is the number one best thing a person with COPD can do for themselves in terms of improved future health.

I'm a little surprised that the Dr. who did the breathing tests did not also schedule you for at least a chest X-ray or preferably a CT scan which gives more detail on the condition of your lungs than an X-Ray might.

It's my understanding that COPD is usually linked to other lung issues such as chronic bronchitis, asthma or emphysema which is why I'm a little surprised your Dr. didn't investigate those issues further. Are you on and sort of medication for your COPD? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reciprocity said:

Quitting smoking is the number one best thing a person with COPD can do for themselves in terms of improved future health.

I'm a little surprised that the Dr. who did the breathing tests did not also schedule you for at least a chest X-ray or preferably a CT scan which gives more detail on the condition of your lungs than an X-Ray might.

It's my understanding that COPD is usually linked to other lung issues such as chronic bronchitis, asthma or emphysema which is why I'm a little surprised your Dr. didn't investigate those issues further. Are you on and sort of medication for your COPD? 

I have had a few chest xrays which were all clear. Today, I am asking fof a CT scan. Thank You

• Like 1

My pulmonologist's office is located right in a hospital so we went right to business, He said that I could not have a lung scan yet, until he see's what the chest  xray results were, due to insurance restrictions. The provider will only pay for a $400.00-$800.00 CT lung scan if the chest xray showed something where I needed a scan.  He also ordered a heart EKG test, and CT scan of my neck and a CT scan of my sinuses. Yes, my insurance paid for the CT scans of my sinuses and neck,today because they know that I have passed all the recent chest xrays with flying colors, but I never had those before. I also passed every single test I had today so, he gave me medicine to reduce phlegm in my sinuses and neck that blocked my breathing. That is that.

• Like 3

Glad all the tests are going good for you..

I smoked for over 52 years ,and thankful lhave been lucky not to have COPD .

But there are nillions out there who have been effected ..

Just want to add..

Smoking effects every part of your body ,not just the lungs ..

Nearly parting with my two feet is testimony to that .

• Like 2