That Turkey is definitely Cold

Stewbum

High all.

So I am having so much trouble concentrating along with massive confusion and lethargy. I know the nicotine should be out of my system leaving me with the lack of energy.

I don't remember the last quit 2016 being this confusing ?  Most of the cravings are easily passed by, don't get me wrong there are some sneaky ones that makes my head spin!!

I almost all the time have a equilibrium issue along with a constant buzzing in my ears and the headaches... they suck but were expected.

Definitely coughing up some nasties of which makes me very happy. 

This post probably could have been put in the SOS column but its not an SOS... Too bad there isn't a POS column or a cussers only area. !!!!

My major concern at this point is the confusion at my business, even though any day is important to be clean in thought this week is probably a more pivotal decision week. I was expecting this brain fog to subside a little more after the first week?  The absolute blessing is my Son has the abilities to make and direct me in some of these decisions.

I am not going to smoke so we don't really have to go there its more of a dicussion of timing I need. I do realize the freedom that I search for is a slow process just don't remember when more mental clarity can be expected. 

I realize we are all different but just yapping and searching.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Hi Stewbum....I get what you are going through.  Even though the nicotine is out of your system, for some reason it leaves lasting effects.  I am quit a bit over 2 months and got a sinus infection/cold/whatever you want to call it, 3 weeks after I quit.  It went away after 3 weeks and then came back, so I have it pretty much for over a month.  I think quitting smoking, even though it's very healthy, gives us weird symptoms!!! I have also gone through equilibrium problems related to the sinus problem,. which is related to quitting, at least I believe.

I can't say about your confusion, but I'm sure someone can chime in about it.  Quitting smoking is a wonderful thing, BUT, for some reason it makes lots of bad symptoms that we never went through.   The first time I quit, I never had anything like what I'm experiencing now, but I think that is because I was on Chantix, and now I did a weaning method. Who knows what goes on with our bodies!

Hang in there and talk to people on this board because there are many that I'm sure went through at least one of your symptoms!  Good luck!!🙂

• Like 5

Hey stew, I remember you calling yourself a basket case in 2016 and having a hard time. The thing is each quit is different so what you experienced your last quit may be way different from this quit. As far as the headaches go I believe without a doubt its the quitting caffeine and not from quitting smoking. The brain fog on the other hand is and how long it lasts varies too. I seem to recall having it for about three weeks or so. Drinking juice or sweets seem to help and make sure you're drinking lots of water.  That helps loosen the junk in our lungs to make it easier to cough out. You're doing great so keep it up 😊

We do have a curse it thread in our Off the Record forum https://www.quittrain.com/topic/835-can-we-have-a-curse-it-threadwith-warnings-as-sometimes-i-just-wanna-ffffffffffff/

Edited by jillar
  • Like 3

Hi again, Stewbum. I really struggled - a lot - with confusion and inability to focus when I first quit. It wasn't lethargy per se (because I was really antsy wanting to smoke). But I did have a very hard time concentrating, and had a major case of the "blahs." It drove me bonkers. Folks here on the Train assured me that "brain fog" is a very real, but also temporary, side effect of quitting. It did get gradually better, after maybe 3 weeks. 

Because I became highly sensitive to caffeine after I quit, I needed something else to "snap back" to attention during this time. Ice cold fizzy drinks and brisk walks around the house helped, as did shaking my arms and legs very vigorously for about 3 minutes. 

You'll get through it, Stewbum! 

huh.gif

• Like 4

Jill.

Yea I almost signed this post as Stew the Basket Case 2. 

I have had some coffee since we talked trying to create some energy. The information I ve read about the lethargy is because the nicotine withdrawal and the bursts of Dopamine are not present. I am workin through the issues and was prepared for the stuggle just a little pissed off .

Denali. Thank you for the insights, we all have to go through it just wish there was more magic... Maybe the doc can put me in a 6 month coma. !!

Of course just kidding because the brain struggle will have to be dealt with sooner or later.

• Like 2

Doreen.

Yea I am down to 99 times a day and additionally one piece of hard candy each time I walk out a door.

I do seem to have more conviction for this quit to be permanent than the last and am extremely enthusiastic about not smoking. The wonderful thoughts that I am a non smoker are so beautiful.

Even though I am a newbie. I do have the memory of being clean from the last quit. every time i would light up over the last couple years I would look at that burning death stick and be disgusted... but still smoke it because I believed my perfect quit date was approaching, this date of course never showed up. The only way for me to start was to just decide that day was never coming and the battle must start and it must start now !!  I threw away half of the carton I had left, actually dumped them in a bucket of water and stirred it like a witches brew.

Those sneaky craves drop in unexpectedly... they can be fairly powerful with an additional thought of JUST HAVE ONE!!!

• Like 4

I can certainly relate to what you said Stewbum! I remember my first few weeks being one of the most mentally disconnected times of my life. Brain fog prevented me from functioning normally at work at certain times. Dealing with those stressful times when you'd normally go out for a smoke were tough to deal with as well. Also, a tendency to fly off the handle at stuff that normally wouldn't bother me was an issue for quite some time as well for me. How did I get through it? Just my steadfast commitment not to smoke! That was the number 1 priority in life for me throughout that first year. Quit always came 1st, everything else behind it. 

Sounds like you're of the same attitude so you should be fine. It won't be fun but it very doable and WILL get easier and easier with time. Patience is truly a virtue when it comes to quitting smoking :) 

• Like 5

It's weird but I'm enjoying the odd crave I get each day. It's only 2 or 3 times a day but I'm enjoying batting them away.

What is more concerning is imagining future situations and asking myself if I will smoke then. That was always my drawback. I had a quit for about 4 or 5 years and it ended because I started romanticising going out with friends and allowing myself one or two as a treat. At the moment I'm asking myself if would smoke in tragic situations involving myself or family members. It doesn't seem normal at all but this is how ingrained this thing is. 

• Like 3

Remember there is such things as 

!! Just One !!!

The longer the quit ,the more easier it gets when life,s curve balls happen 

I watched my Hubby pass away ,due to a smoking illness 

I never once thought of lighting up 

Because !!!

Smoking is off the table..no matter what ..

• Like 4