chugga chugga

Hello everyone. I am new to this board and fairly new to the joys of not smoking. I am working hard to get to the point of actually feeling joy about the not smoking part. I am feeling the benefits physically but mentally... oy! It's going to be a looooooooong road! I started smoking as a teenager. Not sure exactly when but I know definitely by the time I was 16 or 17. I am 47 now. I quit because I want to live more than I want to smoke. I would very much like to be able to say that I don't want to smoke, but that would be a lie.

Cold turkey is the method I have employed as I have tried everything else there is without success. I need to be rid of nicotine, period. Supposedly the "addiction" is gone from me and my body should no longer want it. Brain hasn't quite got the message, though.

This is the second forum I have joined. I have found it helps to read about the experiences of others and be able to share mine. The mutual support has been a boon! I recognize some folks from the other board. There I am Abigail2014. I changed my avatar here as I was going through some older pics and found one of one of our cats when he was an exploding puff of orange fur. We called him Atomic Kitty then. I decided to resurrect the name.

Wishing us all a successful journey to a more healthy way of being!

• Like 10

Hello Abigail, I don't think I ever 'met' you over there, so I apologise for that.

Welcome to here, where people love to quit smoking, and help other folks stay quit, no matter how you do it!

So, you are at 1 month quit today?  Massive congratulations to you for reaching such a huge milestone - so very happy for you!

Look forward to getting to know you better!

PS, love the avatar :)

• Like 1

Hi and welcome on board, and congratulations on your 1 month quit, stay close to the board, we are here to help you as much or as little as you, addiction is clever and can sneak back in whenever you least expect it, guard your quit and commit to NOPE, I look forward to sharing your journey with you xx

• Like 1

Hi and welcome!!  And congrats on a month, sounds like a fairly hard fought for quit from what you're describing.  Once your done on the intro maybe post on the main board with your particular feelings and if we can't advise anything different at least we can offer you some solace and empathy? Once you feel comfortable of course :) In the meantime, even if it was by the seat of ya pants you're doing it!!  One day at a time, one step at a time.

x

• Like 1

Aww look at the fluffy kitten wait til bowling ball bakon turns up he will do back flips over your avatar but dont worry if he asks for a naked selfie its all part of the kitty fetish he has this will all make sense in a few days :)

Welcome to the train eventually your brain will catch up education and support is the key stick close to the board and listen to what sometimes is hard to swallow advice in the beginning but they are right

lots of diversity here but its a quit family, be honest, be open post and the support is here in bucket loads

congratulations on your quit

• Like 2

Hi, Abigail. So nice to see you again! Congratulations on your one month milestone-- that was a biggie for me. I know you feel as though your brain is lagging behind your body but it's not. Everything is healing at once. But at this point, one month quit, you could start making a conscious effort to do some new and different things with your new and non-smoking self. After a month I decided that my lungs were probably healed enough that I could probably start exercising (I used to get too short of breath to do much). I got off to a slow start with that  but things are getting better and better. Also, to help relax me as well as to get some benefit from the additional time I have each day, I started charcoal sketching in the evenings. Very relaxing and takes my  mind off the smokes. 

I guess my point is that you have clawed your way to a very good place. The worst is over and you can try to experiment a little. Stay close to the board, protect your quit above all else, but start to enjoy your life more.

• Like 4

Welcome and congrats on your awesome 1 month quit.

Keep moving forward... the benefits get better and better and the bullsh*t gets less and less.

The other side is an amazing place to be.... keep on keepin on.

• Like 1