Introducing myself

Chrysalis

Hi, folks-

I am not a newbie to quitting smoking; I've been quit for almost 5 months. But I am new to Quit Train and am excited to meet you all. 

Some background about me: I was smoking about a pack and a half a day for over 40 years. I seriously quit smoking 3 times in my life for periods of several months to one year. Each time I relapsed either because of weight gain or unbearable stress or both. I decided to try again because as I get older I want to remain (or should I say become) as healthy and fit as I can be so that I can be vigorous and active in my senior years. 

This time I used Chantix (which worked great for me) and participated in a quit smoking forum (which also worked great for me). I feel strong in my quit (most of the time), but my personal history of relapse plus the statistical probability of relapses in general makes me nervous. I've quit before for many months and relapsed so I am very worried about doing it again.  

I have read Alan Carr's book and found it very helpful for understanding the nature of the nicotine addiction, the way it messes with your thinking, and how to overcome it. I very much appreciate his insights and advice. However, I have come to believe that the "just don't smoke" message-- while it works for most of the people most of the time-- does not work for everyone all of the time. Sometimes we need a little more thought, depth, flexibility and creativity.

I have heard that QuitTrain recommends Alan Carr and similar techniques but also embraces "out of the box" thinking about quitting smoking and staying quit. So that is what I am hoping to find here-- shared knowledge and experiences that will help me maintain my quit for the rest of my life. In turn, I hope that my knowledge and experience will help others. Let us link arms and continue on this journey together.  

• Like 13

Hi Chrys,

Good to see you here.

I think its good to be proactive in protecting ones quit, and I will do what I can to help you.

Personally, I am still NOPEing and taking it a day at a time while I figure out how to keep this freedom for the remainder of my days.  I know for a fact that as long as I remain here, I will remin smoke free (guaranteed), but that I will not be able to stay here for the next 30, 40, 50 (however many) years, lol.

I hope you like it here ;)

• Like 2

Hey Chrys,

Good to see you here.  We don't mind talking here is the thing I think. We still NOPE of course but I for one enjoy reading people's different "takes" on quitting. Of course sometimes our take is a bit flawed and someone else can see what we can't...I had that, someone pointed out a loophold I'd created without realizing so I was able to plug it!

However we are non practising addicts. We are always going to have thought associations and someone telling me I'm not is crazy!  

You'll be grand though. Get talking and posting when the thoughts occur and we can chat it out.

x

• Like 3

I always thought to myself when I was first quitting, that I wasn't interested in impressing anyone with my method of quitting, I was looking to quit smoking permanently. By hook or by crook, I was done.

Welcome welcome, great to have you.

I heart Allen Carr, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same. We must all use what works for us, to get healthy and to be (relatively) happy.

And if we have a few laughs along the way, so much the better.

This is a place for anyone wanting to quit, or has quit. Or even toying with the idea of stopping. We are here to assist in any way that we can.

• Like 3

... either because of weight gain or unbearable stress or both.

You smoked because you wanted to smoke.

Blaming other, unrelated events will not help you.

Responsibility for your actions will.

BTW: The "just don't smoke" is the only thing that ever worked for anyone, and the only thing that can possibly work. Everyone who's ever quit successfully has used it, and everyone who has failed a quit has ignored it.

Everyone.

Ignore it at you peril.

Embrace it and you win.

Easy Peasy

Easy Peasy

• Like 3

Welcome Chrys.  Glad to see you here!  This place is so open-minded, and I have found a place where I can now sit back and feel relaxed and comfortable.  Don't see so much animosity here.  I like that.  Hope it works for you too.  I know you like to "think outside the box" as do I.  I believe many here will help you along this journey.  I have found great support here.

• Like 2

Yea Chrys!! You came! So happy to have your great brain here, and your great heart.

Looks like there may be a couple of sand-traps, sadly, but I think we'll be okay.

Welcome!

• Like 1